Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't see it happening with the talent in the top 5 or 6 looking pretty even, even the top 10. Too many choices this year.
It’s only going to happen if the Crows (or other club) zero in on a particular player for a list fit perspective. That end of the draft almost every club will just take best available and as you say, no big drop off this year between picks.

It’s only going to happen if the Crows (or other club) zero in on a particular player for a list fit perspective. That end of the draft almost every club will just take beat available and as you say, no big drop off this year between picks.
All I know is if it's lineball we'd take the SA lad as would your mob if he's a sandgroper.

It would appear we have made a commitment to Welsh by getting him into our SANFL side - or was that simply a trial run to see if he actually wants it and is able to maintain an “AFL attitude”?

What will he cost?

Clubs set to demand answers from AFL over draft at CEO summit in Perth​

Clubs are set to demand the AFL give them clarification around father-son and academy bids this week in Perth, but JON RALPH reports clubs will come in with their own agendas.

AFL clubs will demand answers from the league on its contentious changes to the draft bidding system as they gather in Perth for a three-day chief executives meeting this week.
The clubs have been summoned by AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon after a successful meeting last year in Werribee that helped shape the competition’s direction.
Clubs have been sparring with each other and the AFL over the academy system, travel inequities, the potential for three Grand Finals, and overall competitive balance.
The league is also reviewing the season structure so is open to adding a 24th game to the season, more blockbusters in Perth around the WA Day public holiday and tweaks to the new-look Opening Round.

Sydney chief executive Tom Harley said on Saturday the No. 1 priority for clubs is to gain clarity on whether the league’s certain changes to the draft will come in this year or in 2025.
The AFL has no July AFL commission meeting so any changes would only be put forward to the league’s governing body in August.

It means clubs might have less than two months to frantically plan to match points totals for father-son and academy picks or even trade out contracted players to secure those points.
Heartland clubs have been scaremongering over the depth of talent in Gold Coast’s academy on a weekend when their academy star Leo Lombard, a likely top 10 pick, was jointly named the Larke Medallist as the Under-18 championship’s best player.

Harley said on Saturday the clubs backed the AFL’s depth of talent under Dillon but wanted answers on the bidding system.
“The most important part from a timeliness is around the competitive balance and what the end of the season looks like with the drafting and the rules attached to that,” he said.

So there has been a long and wide consultative process starting early in the year so the resolution of that would be the prime consideration we are looking at.
“The first time ‘Dills’ facilitated a CEO’s conference in Werribee this time last year it was fantastic.
“I am really looking forward to heading over to Perth to have those conversations.
“Collectively we have enough clout and experience and enough collaborative thought leaders to make sure the game is in great stead,” he told SEN.

I think the process is easy, no more discounts. If Lombard is pick 4 , they pay the points for him and have to a pick within 20. Discounts are bullshit, the reality is they still get a gun regardless

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just a comment, re GC looking to trade out, don't discount them trading in a quality player with those picks. They might be trying to tap up a particular player under contract at another club and need to pay up to get them. But with picks like that, they could aim high IF they were to look at going down that path
I would offer them Rachele for those two picks. We could take 3 high picks then. Maybe Draper/Smith, Lalor and Travailga then Welsh plus rest of the picks left. Those to be at positions of need.

I would offer them Rachele for those two picks. We could take 3 high picks then. Maybe Draper/Smith, Lalor and Travailga then Welsh plus rest of the picks left. Those to be at positions of need.
You would but no club's going to do that after signing a player to a long term contract unless the player absolutely wanted out. Signed to 2029.

Personally reckon a small forward is a bigger need than another key position forward. Between Thilthorpe and Fogarty, it's an area we've already invested a lot in. Teams like Collingwood and, to a lesser extent, Sydney have shown that you don't need the best big forwards in the comp to succeed, provided that you a) deliver the ball well inside 50; and b) can apply lots of pressure at ground level. Think those are both much bigger areas of need for us. Teams walk it out too easily against us.

Apart from a mid with our first pick , and welsh , I hope we target some key position forward. (Ie195+cm) and a ruck .
I doubt Alex Dodson would be there at our 2nd if he chooses the AFL over basketball so I'd have a setious look at GWV Rebels/VC ruck Flynn Penry late/rookie seen here alongside Teammate Sam Lalor. Actually has decent skills for a big unit, reminds me of Sean Darcy at the same age who I also saw plenty of in his draft year. Penry is another that's just back from injury after missing the 1st half of the season but since resuming has been posting big numbers both for Geelong College in the APS system and the GWV Rebels in the Coates Talent League.
1721035768555.png

Bendigo Pioneer Jobe Shannahan would be the tall forward I'd be keen on, athletically gifted, good aerially and a good set shot goalkicker.

Last edited:
Personally reckon a small forward is a bigger need than another key position forward. Between Thilthorpe and Fogarty, it's an area we've already invested a lot in. Teams like Collingwood and, to a lesser extent, Sydney have shown that you don't need the best big forwards in the comp to succeed, provided that you a) deliver the ball well inside 50; and b) can apply lots of pressure at ground level. Think those are both much bigger areas of need for us. Teams walk it out too easily against us.
2.87 20m at the preseason testing and a tough little unit.

1721036550277.png

We have quite a few holes unfortunately. I agree small forward is a bigger need than tall forward right now. But as we saw this year once Thilthorpe was injured, we don't have any depth in that position. With Tex just about finished and Berg likely leaving, we are very light on in the key forward area.

We have quite a few holes unfortunately. I agree small forward is a bigger need than tall forward right now. But as we saw this year once Thilthorpe was injured, we don't have any depth in that position. With Tex just about finished and Berg likely leaving, we are very light on in the key forward area.

Sure, I don't disagree that's also a need. But unless something very surprising happens, we'll already be talking a bigger forward in this year's draft in Welsh. I know he's not quite key forward size, and it's not likely he'll be ready to contribute much at AFL level next year, but again, it'll represent a fairly significant investment of resources in that general area of the field.

Besides, I'm sure most of the regulars here would name Murphy as their first or second regular 22 player to replace. Make a shrewd choice on the right small, and you're potentially looking at a big upgrade in quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that initially, but I think with Pedlar , Rachele and Rankine we have our 3 amigo small forward line for the next 10 years.
So in terms of need I’d go tall forward before small X factor forward (so that we can banish Murphy from that role indefinitely).

I thought that initially, but I think with Pedlar , Rachele and Rankine we have our 3 amigo small forward line for the next 10 years.
So in terms of need I’d go tall forward before small X factor forward (so that we can banish Murphy from that role indefinitely).

Rankine has been injected into the midfield (to great effect). Rachele is playing more of a half-forward connecting role. And, right now, the jury's out on Pedlar even making it as an AFL player medium-term. I like them all, but I'm not sure they obviate the need for a small forward.

These names have been mentioned before by posters , hopefully they are there at our picks​

Charlie Nicholls​

Height: 197cm
Weight:
D.O.B: 08-06-2006
Another South Australian forward in the mix, Nicholls has emerged as a genuine prospect this year. He averages 8.3 marks and 2.2 goals per game in the SANFL Under 18s, form which is translating onto the representative stage. With this year’s draft pool dominated by midfielders, genuine key position prospects like Nicholls will be invaluable and he has a great chance to solidify himself as a top 30 talent should he continue to kick goals and clunk contested marks

SMALL FORWARD

#10​

Malakai Champion​

Height: 172cm
Weight:
D.O.B: 17-05-2006

There are few more exciting players in full flight than Malakai Champion, who is capable of making opponents look silly with his turn of speed or by sitting on their heads for a speccy. The energetic small forward is crafty around goal but also helped connect Subiaco into attack in 2023 by working high up the ground. He booted 22 majors in 14 WAFL Colts games, averaging 15 disposals and five marks.

These names have been mentioned before by posters , hopefully they are there at our picks​

Charlie Nicholls​

Height: 197cm
Weight:
D.O.B: 08-06-2006
Another South Australian forward in the mix, Nicholls has emerged as a genuine prospect this year. He averages 8.3 marks and 2.2 goals per game in the SANFL Under 18s, form which is translating onto the representative stage. With this year’s draft pool dominated by midfielders, genuine key position prospects like Nicholls will be invaluable and he has a great chance to solidify himself as a top 30 talent should he continue to kick goals and clunk contested marks

SMALL FORWARD

#10​

Malakai Champion​

Height: 172cm
Weight:
D.O.B: 17-05-2006

There are few more exciting players in full flight than Malakai Champion, who is capable of making opponents look silly with his turn of speed or by sitting on their heads for a speccy. The energetic small forward is crafty around goal but also helped connect Subiaco into attack in 2023 by working high up the ground. He booted 22 majors in 14 WAFL Colts games, averaging 15 disposals and five marks.
Really keen on Champion
Ideal draft for me would be getting pick 8 from GC (based on assumption of finishing spot )

4- Draper
8- Lalor
Trade in a 2nd round pick - Champion
F/S- Welsh

Really keen on Champion
Ideal draft for me would be getting pick 8 from GC (based on assumption of finishing spot )

4- Draper
8- Lalor
Trade in a 2nd round pick - Champion
F/S- Welsh
We just got to finish below st kilda cos I can see them cutting our lunch with Draper and lalor

Two senior SANFL games, two impressive performances and two times in the best for South Adelaide. Also two times with double digit tackles, showing his bravery and readiness to compete against hardened professionals. Sid's kicking was a little off and he resorted to quick dump kicks from stoppage at times, but in heavy conditions his hands were super clean and creative.

Yet another highlights package of Draper showcasing his suspect/rushed disposal. Just don’t understand this board’s fascination with him.

I see a lot of people wanting small forwards but we need mids. We need to find the best mid available to us in the top 10. No question. A small forward I dont think is even in our top 3 drafting priorities.

Dowling is going to be a good mid for us, Taylor and Soligo are going to be a good mids in the rotation but we need another quality premier mid. Before we know it Dawson is going to age out, so any mid drafted now will only be in their early 20s by the time Dawson retires. Only way to find one in a lottery is to draft plenty of them.

I see a lot of people wanting small forwards but we need mids. We need to find the best mid available to us in the top 10. No question. A small forward I dont think is even in our top 3 drafting priorities.

Dowling is going to be a good mid for us, Taylor and Soligo are going to be a good mids in the rotation but we need another quality premier mid. Before we know it Dawson is going to age out, so any mid drafted now will only be in their early 20s by the time Dawson retires. Only way to find one in a lottery is to draft plenty of them.
Definitely need another quality midfielder but it seem you didn't see Rankine playing midfield this year or don't rate him as an elite midfielder???

Definitely need another quality midfielder but it seem you didn't see Rankine playing midfield this year or don't rate him as an elite midfielder???

If we draft a 17/18 yo they wont be a prime mid until they reach 23/24 4-5 years away and surpass 50 games. Guess who ages out of our side by the time that happens, Crouch, Laird and Dawson. Rankine, Berry, Soligo, Rachele, Dowling, Taylor, Edwards then who? We need planning. Thats why you have a draft in the first place. Take the opportunity to find and elite mid, who may even come on sooner. Imagine the depth we can move on to the flanks and wings.

2 x 1st round picks for Rachele? In what alternate dimension? Even if you disregard his lack of consistent effort and short steps, there's the question of where does he play...he doesn't have the zip and anticipation of a small forward and doesn't operate well in tight, which reduces his ability to play mid. So what is he, an undersized medium forward? Not a ton of value attached to them. He's worth a pick in the 20s at best right now. Best hope is to hang onto him and hope he gets his head right and does something with his talent. Currency right now at an all time low.

Kade Herbert has again been impressive at league level for the Eagles on a wing. I thought he looked quite average in the U18 carnival, but has generally been good at SANFL league level.

I liked Jacob Newton as that small forward/mid in the carnival.

Both the above possibly picks lower down the order or rookie? But wouldn’t mind giving them a spot above some players on our list who are out of contract. Especially Newton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back