2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Darylmple will pick lots of genuine mids this time around.. potentially 3-4 mids, to make up for lack of depth and neglect in the midfield for over a decade..
I hope 1 or 2 of the mids we target have elite speed. Seeing the damage that Warner, Butters and Rozee did to us really emphasised what a weapon speed out of stoppage can be.

Last edited:
I hope 1 or 2 of the mids we target have elite. Seeing the damage that Warner, Butters and Rozee did to us really emphasised what a weapon speed out of stoppage can be.
There aren't any speedy pure mids at the top end. We'll have to take a half back like Travaglia and do a Will Day transformation to them

There aren't any speedy pure mids at the top end. We'll have to take a half back like Travaglia and do a Will Day transformation to them
Lalor has got that stringer, petracca feel about him. Would love him but not sure he is a pure mid like we need. The rest of the Coates league will be interesting to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a better draft than last year - the top 4 last year were very good probably better than anyone this year but one of them Walter was GC academy so 3 standouts in Reid McKercher and Dursma but by pick 5 the Hawks were down to picking Nick Watson a 5 foot tall goal sneak who can’t kick straight. So presuming we end up with pick 4 & 5 or 5 & 6 in the same position last year we would have been picking between Watson Sanders Windsor Caddy or Curtin all handy but only one is a mid and I am as happy with Darcy Wilson as any of them.

This year we should have a chance at real midfielders Smilie Smith O’Sullivan Reid Lalor Draper and there is still a chance for a bolter or two to rise up.

Of the Mids above none are perfect but I like Reid particularly if we can pair him with Draper or Lalor. Reid is the best decision maker his touches create for others and he just sees the game quicker than others. He has a nose for goal as well which is something I want in our midfield. His kicking is always with purpose and finds targets better than most. I get the slows on him though he is not quick and is not a big body will need to build the defensive part of his game and prove he can run before Ross ticks of the selection. He doesn’t have a penetrating kick often weights the ball nicely a drops it into his targets space but it hangs a bit too long and at AFL he will need to get the ball from A to B with a bit more speed. Will be interesting to see how he goes at the Combine in the running if he slides it will be because his athletic profile is not up to scratch. Most skillful footballer in the draft IMO I just love watching him play he is a bit Dal Santo a bit Sidebottom I think he ends up a mid really doubt he plays HB maybe High Half Forward.

Smith’s downside scares me more than Reid though he is a twig and doesn’t look like he will bulk up any time soon and his disposal is just OK he gets plenty of it inside and has snake like agility to find space but he might get smashed at senior level. His elite skill is getting the pill using it not so much. Might be being harsh and I haven’t watched the VM v WA game where he had 37 disposals but even then it was 14 Kicks 23 Handballs. A skinny snake like Tom Mitchell big numbers low hurt factor.

Draper is the elite runner he is fast and wants to get that overlap run give and go happening high work rate good athlete and can burst. Gets a lot of it as well and can win it inside and out. Probably fits the modern game better than most has all the things Murphy Reid doesn’t hence my preference to pair them. I suspect he fits the Ross Lyon game plan perfectly and hard to see them overlooking him if he is still there.

Lalor is the power athlete took a huge mark today is more De Goey or Stringer but didn’t really get much ball and played mostly forward. He is a strong kid with power and uses it to win the ball power away and kick with length. VC seem to use him more forward less mid which makes it harder to assess him as a midfield talent. He did rack up 34 disposals in the Coates Talent League though in his only game so far which is a good sign he can find the ball. We have been crying out for his type for years so you would imagine he would be high on our list.

It is probably more likely our list managers have Draper and Lalor and even Smith ahead of Reid and they could well be right AFL is increasingly an Athletic contest not a skill test. I just really enjoy watching players with a touch of magic.

Got my tin hat on here for a second….
Hypothetically, does the following transaction make sense for all parties?

In the case that we finish 15th and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

• Use Pick 4 on Smith (if he’s still there)
  • Trade down one place with Adelaide so they can select Draper in exchange for Pick 6 and their second round pick (currently 27).
  • Use Pick 6 to select Lalor
  • Package up 25 and 27 for Gold Coast’s Pick 10, giving them more points for academy picks
  • Use Pick 10 on best available

Gold Coast end up with more points.
Adelaide pay their second rounder to move up for Draper.
Gives us 3 top 10 Picks in this years draft but would mean we sacrifice selecting Draper.

Am I way off the mark or could this work? 😵‍💫

In the case that we finish 4 and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

• Trade down one place with Adelaide so they can select Draper in exchange for Pick 6 and their second round pick (currently 27).
  • Package up 25 and 27 for Gold Coast’s Pick 10, giving them more points for academy picks

Gives us 3 top 10 Picks in this years draft but would mean we sacrifice selecting Draper.

I’ll tell you the problem with this.

Richmond.

In the case that we finish 4 and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

I like the thinking but don’t we already have Adelaide’s 2nd? They may not have one.
Also I don’t think 25 and 27, would get us anywhere near pick 10. I reckon our best bet is a trade directly with GC for one of their 1st round picks.

In the case that we finish 15th and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

Don’t we already have Adelaide’s second round pick from last draft period?

Respective drafts and draft choices at our level are opinion based only. Perhaps we could suggest that is the case with club recruitment teams also. I imagine they have the more rounded stats, interviews, etc, to work off, but the top 20 generally dont alter that much from Twomey's phantom or other well researched punters.

IMO The only aspect of this draft that will be better the last, will be for us having two early picks eg 4 & 5 or 5 & 6. We simply have to nail both picks and select two kids who will be elite midfielders for a decade, if we are any chance of turning our fortunes around.

As far as the top 20 this years kids are a long way behind last years as far as AFL readiness. There wont be any kids from this draft that come in and have the affect that Reid, McKercher, Walters, Windsor, Wilson etc have had. Lombard might be the exception.

Again its opinion based, but Im hoping our 2 picks are the best midfielders taken in the past decade. I also believed the so called experts are very Vic centric and dont give enough credit to the other states talent pools.

Last edited:
IMO The only aspect of this draft that will be better the last, will be for us having two early picks eg 4 & 5 or 5 & 6. We simply have to nail both picks and select two kids who will be elite midfielders for a decade, if we are any chance of turning our fortunes around.

As far as the top 20 this years kids are a long way behind last years as far as AFL readiness. There wont be any kids from this draft that come in and have the affect that Reid, McKercher, Walters, Windsor, Wilson etc have had.

Again it’s opinion based, but Im hoping our 2 picks are the best midfielders taken in the past decade. I also believed the so called experts are very Vic centric and dont give enough credit to the other states talent pools.
*Still obviously very much dependent on Battle.
I’d love to know what option the club would prefer.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back