2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

How so..?
They have a stupid number of picks ready to be traded up and they have Rioli who will bring in a suns first.

The suns won’t be holding back first rounders for us on draft night waiting for us to try shakedown Adelaide for Draper.

Got my tin hat on here for a second….
Hypothetically, does the following transaction make sense for all parties?

In the case that we finish 15th and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

• Use Pick 4 on Smith (if he’s still there)
  • Trade down one place with Adelaide so they can select Draper in exchange for Pick 6 and their second round pick (currently 27).
  • Use Pick 6 to select Lalor
  • Package up 25 and 27 for Gold Coast’s Pick 10, giving them more points for academy picks
  • Use Pick 10 on best available

Gold Coast end up with more points.
Adelaide pay their second rounder to move up for Draper.
Gives us 3 top 10 Picks in this years draft but would mean we sacrifice selecting Draper.

Am I way off the mark or could this work? 😵‍💫
If that involves our second rounder, we don’t have it. I think your thinking though

Got my tin hat on here for a second….
Hypothetically, does the following transaction make sense for all parties?

In the case that we finish 15th and receive Band 1 compo for Battle.

• Use Pick 4 on Smith (if he’s still there)
  • Trade down one place with Adelaide so they can select Draper in exchange for Pick 6 and their second round pick (currently 27).
  • Use Pick 6 to select Lalor
  • Package up 25 and 27 for Gold Coast’s Pick 10, giving them more points for academy picks
  • Use Pick 10 on best available

Gold Coast end up with more points.
Adelaide pay their second rounder to move up for Draper.
Gives us 3 top 10 Picks in this years draft but would mean we sacrifice selecting Draper.

Am I way off the mark or could this work? 😵‍💫
GC will trade before draft night.
Crows would probably assume we wouldn't select Draper anyway and sit tight.

I have no idea who I prefer at our pick after these champs. I feel like it's a good year having pick 4/5 instead of 1 or 2, let the other clubs make the decisions and see who is left.

My preferences in order , which will change as I am more unsure then ever now.

1-smith
2-smillie
3-Reid
4-O'Sullivan
5-lalor
6-draper
7-Langford
8-travaglia
9-trainor

Add Lombard and Ashcroft who we can't have, plus maybe Armstrong, that's probably the top 12 leading group imo.
Sometimes not having one of the top three picks can be a bit of a godsend. Can get a Bont or a Bailey Smith or a Rozee or a slider like Cripps or Pou or Butters

Have only watched highlights but Travaglia and Lindsey looked incredible. A few outstanding plays from Murphy Reid and Langford too.

Reid looks like like one of those players that just keep doing good things. If his combine testing is adequate he looks incredible. Travaglia is the same, just seems to keep doing good things.

Langford too.

I really liked the look of Lindsey's game, contested, used the ball really well and has good vision to open up the game. There are going to be a few bargains in this draft.

Barrels makes a good point.

To put the devils advocate hat on, we selected McCartin due to similar reasons, just interchange the want for key forward with midfielder.

Ive always said, when we are picking that high, we get best available. If De Goey, Petracca or Danger is the fwd/mid projected ceiling, then I'm ok with that especially if we have 2 picks.

On another note, are you two the last two on the planet still using twitter?

To put the devils advocate hat on, we selected McCartin due to similar reasons, just interchange the want for key forward with midfielder.

Ive always said, when we are picking that high, we get best available. If De Goey, Petracca or Danger is the fwd/mid projected ceiling, then I'm ok with that especially if we have 2 picks.

What’s wrong with Twitter? Only platform that doesn’t censor

I haven't seen the full match but on paper he game doesn't jump out. A few guys look to have pushed up, does he still go top 10?

We picked Mccartin because we were spuked by Tom Boyd getting $1M a season deal, not because we really needed a forward. We also needed mids then.

Now for the first time we have a proper coach and proper recruiting team, we also know we have a very poor midfield, drafting 2 mids should be our top priority.

We picked Mccartin because we were spuked by Tom Boyd getting $1M a season deal, not because we really needed a forward. We also needed mids then.

Now for the first time we have a proper coach and proper recruiting team, we also know we have a very poor midfield, drafting 2 mids should be our top priority.

Travaglia as a potential mid currently playing HB then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo on his last legs, Tommy Lee & Beau Maister suggests that we absolutely did need a forward.

We’d drafted 3 kids the previous year who they thought would be our future midfield.

Anyway, an exciting day that hopefully shows that being big players in this draft could be a watershed moment for the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we end up with picks 4+5, which is looking more likely that battle leaves by the day, we have a really good opportunity to build a well rounded midfield group. Assuming that smillie goes before our pick, I feel like any of the others are a chance to be there when we pick. A combo of one of the top rated mids and then a riskier pick would be the go. Something like

O'Sullivan lalor/reid
Smith lalor/reid
Draper lalor/reid

If we end up with picks 4+5, which is looking more likely that battle leaves by the day, we have a really good opportunity to build a well rounded midfield group. Assuming that smillie goes before our pick, I feel like any of the others are a chance to be there when we pick. A combo of one of the top rated mids and then a riskier pick would be the go. Something like

O'Sullivan lalor/reid
Smith lalor/reid
Draper lalor/reid
If we take Reid over Lalor I'd spew. Literally Billings over Bont all over again

If we take Reid over Lalor I'd spew. Literally Billings over Bont all over again

Don't think it's that clear. Reid looks much classier and a genuine midfielder unlike Billings who was a small build and more of a small high half forward before it was a thing. The speed is Reid's only downside. Lalor seems to have struggled with production at the champs, he's definitely more powerful and bull like though. Iffy kicking from the midfield though.

I think guys like Langford look really good and Lindsey looked like his game today was close to elite. Some of those guys at the guys a bit after our pick range look really good.

Travaglia is a really interesting one. If he could play mid he has some really nice traits. Saw him compared to Will Day and Hayden Young. Would take both of them in a heartbeat.

You're right, we were absolutely spooked by the Tom Boyd deal. BUT, we also really desperately needed a forward. Perfect storm for what the powers that be thought we needed at the time.

You're right, we were absolutely spooked by the Tom Boyd deal. BUT, we also really desperately needed a forward. Perfect storm for what the powers that be thought we needed at the time.

Perfect storm? No major F*** Up.

They panicked and went with a major forward as they thought it would be hard to get one in the future.

Meanwhile they passed on the once in a generation type mid, that we ranked higher, and we are still F***** waiting for a gun mid. Hopefully Pou next year will be that mid.

A gun big forward is a lot less useful than a gun mid. And Paddy was no gun.

After watching the champs I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with smilie. Regardless of that I pumped to finally get a chance at drafting an elite mid. Might have to watch some sanfl games to see how Draper is going.

We needed forwards.

We had Nick with a crap knee.
We had Maister and Lee.
WE NEEDED FORWARDS and a forward in the draft would take years to come on.

We didn't know that the likes of Armitage and Steven would retire young.
Dunstan looked like a midfield bull.

If Smillie ends up sliding to our pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade back and get more picks like last year with Leake

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back