2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lads a curious question if I may .
If you land with say 5 and 6 in this draft is your list deep enough to throw those pick plus a future first for Reid or do you need a number of players to fill holes ?
The only Reid we will be getting would be Murphy

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

An underrated prospect from Vic Country is Cooper Hynes (number 30). He'll be available around our pick 25 - had a 32 disposal game against the Rebels in Round 3, a 23D 5.1 game vs Suns Academy in Round 6, a 27D 4.0 game vs Lions Academy in Round 8, 35D vs Rebels in Round 10, 3.1 27D vs Chargers in Round 11. 190cm midfielder/forward. Not a superstar, but is another creative centre forward player who's fallen behind the shadow of Harvey Langford

Round 1: 25D 0.2 scoreline
Round 2: 21D 0.2
Round 3: 32D 1.2
Round 4: BYE
Round 5: BYE
Round 6: 23D 5.1
Round 7: 22D 0.0
Round 8: 27D 4.0
Round 9: BYE
Round 10: 35D 1.0
Round 11: 27D 3.1

I'd say he's a better version of Charlie Edwards from last year...

He is definitely another solid citizen type. He’s one that could end up a gun from outside the top picks. .

Hey Gringo, I think its really interesting how recruiters view the champs. Usually I am much more obersvant, however this year been much less able to. Anyways then point is genreally pure numbers are not as important , especially at the champs. Decision making, cleanliness, playing a role. Etc etc is far more important.

Most players have their numbers decrease.

Sheezel a great example. Also many get moved off their normal roles.

Darc Wilson an example of this. Played on the ball for Murray. At champs was pushed onto a wing and up forward.

Again it’s far more about showing attributes than pure numbers.

Also how they finnish the season is massive.

For sure but taking the game by the scruff of the neck against your peer group always gets you noticed. Guys get moved around but you want to make the most of opportunities. Sheezel was drafted as a half forward goal kicker. Wilson as an outside mid wing. They try to get inside mids to all get a chance but not all take them. Smilie looked semi disinterested, guys like Gross and Reid made people notice them from their opportunity.

To re-ignite a well worn debate, it is farcical that the Gold Coast had 4 picks in the first round last year and hold another 3 this year. No one with half a brain could believe that is equitable. The only way teams without father sons or academies can gain an extra 1st round pick is losing high end talent and yet these teams regularly have surplus high picks. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1173652

To re-ignite a well worn debate, it is farcical that the Gold Coast had 4 picks in the first round last year and hold another 3 this year. No one with half a brain could believe that is equitable. The only way teams without father sons or academies can gain an extra 1st round pick is losing high end talent and yet these teams regularly have surplus high picks. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

It's not supposed to be equitable. The NGA system was specifically implemented to advantage northern clubs.

Devil’s advocate.

You can’t judge the way all teams are treated because the Suns are still clearly a massive question mark. The AFL started them up and can’t let them wither on the vine so quickly. It’s a sporting black hole up there but the competition will keep trying to entrench them for as long as it takes. On-field success will be the chief driver of that, so all that assistance gets poured in to bring it about as soon as they can get their **** together.

I wholeheartedly agree it sucks to see it every year, but I see why it happens. I think things like F/S points/pick matching and bidding and all that stuffs the comp up much more to be honest, but that’s a different issue.

Hey Gringo, I think its really interesting how recruiters view the champs. Usually I am much more obersvant, however this year been much less able to. Anyways then point is genreally pure numbers are not as important , especially at the champs. Decision making, cleanliness, playing a role. Etc etc is far more important.

Most players have their numbers decrease.

Sheezel a great example. Also many get moved off their normal roles.

Darc Wilson an example of this. Played on the ball for Murray. At champs was pushed onto a wing and up forward.

Again it’s far more about showing attributes than pure numbers.

Also how they finnish the season is massive.
Yep, the position switch is extremely prominent this year.

With so many good midfielders, several have had to play forward and looked well below their best at Champs level. O'Sullivan, Gross, Moraes, Hynes, Lalor all stuck forward despite being natural midfielders

If you land with say 5 and 6 in this draft is your list deep enough to throw those pick plus a future first for Reid or do you need a number of players to fill holes ?
You know what....IF he said he'd come and give it all to win us a flag.
Which I'm sure he wouldn't say.

Yeah, **** it I'd probably do it.
Reid/Matteus/Windhager and occasionally Owens in the guts.
And others would be more likely to see some hope and come to play alongside Reid and a King benefiting from the extra midfield power and skill.

Move on Steele to reclaim a little bit of draft territory.

Yeah, it's crazy, probably foolish, but the alternative is going to rely on plucking gems with constant pick and academy disadvantages.
I'll take chaos.

You know what....IF he said he'd come and give it all to win us a flag.
Which I'm sure he wouldn't say.

Yeah, **** it I'd probably do it.
Reid/Matteus/Windhager and occasionally Owens in the guts.
And others would be more likely to see some hope and come to play alongside Reid and a King benefiting from the extra midfield power and skill.

Move on Steele to reclaim a little bit of draft territory.

Yeah, it's crazy, probably foolish, but the alternative is going to rely on plucking gems with constant pick and academy disadvantages.
I'll take chaos.
Not happening but you get a couple of 2nd round picks back and it would be fine. Reid has the potential to be the best player of the modern era.

Apologies.

I just watched the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game and that was a level above all the other championship games that he been played this year. I had previously suggested this draft year wont be as strong as last year, but after watching that game my opinion has changed. There is not the obvious top 6 standard outs like last year, but there is plenty of talent and depth.

The only position not as stacked as last year is ruckman, but there are probably more talls and plenty of mids and running players. We are going to be spoilt for choice with midfielders, small forwards and key position talls in particular. Hopefully we can find more draft picks than the 3 we currently have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the position switch is extremely prominent this year.

With so many good midfielders, several have had to play forward and looked well below their best at Champs level. O'Sullivan, Gross, Moraes, Hynes, Lalor all stuck forward despite being natural midfielders

They still got rotated through in bits ands pieces. O'Sullivan and Smilie were disappointing. Moraes played that one match with runs on ball and looked very exciting. Langford and Reid have given themselves every chance to move up the order through excellent championships.

Reid is better than all 3 kids we would draft so no question from me. We have plenty of holes in the boat but plugging them up with cardboard isn’t as good as buying a new boat.

Not much of a discussion point given likelihood though.

5 years later 3 are still in our best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have huge holes in our mid career list due to moving out of picks. They are still on the list but it was absolute insanity to top up without the youth to build on.

The whole rebuild would be that much more advanced if we hadn't gone that route.

They still got rotated through in bits ands pieces. O'Sullivan and Smilie were disappointing. Moraes played that one match with runs on ball and looked very exciting. Langford and Reid have given themselves every chance to move up the order through excellent championships.
I'm not sold on Moraes kicking and decision making. He is also Jagga Smith's size without the inate abilities in close, but as a 2nd rounder he would be ok. I am seriously hoping we finish below Adelaide this year otherwise I think we miss out on Smith.

As an exercise lets say we lose Battle to Hawthorn FA #5 & Paton to Richmond pick #39 trades without any other trades will give us picks - #4, 5, 25, 39 & 49.

My selections -

#4 - Jagga Smith 181cm / Sid Draper 180cm midfielders
#5 - Harvey Langford 190cm / Taj Hotton 182cm (acl injury) midfielders
#25 - Thomas Simms 199cm tall forward / Sam Lalor 187cm midfielder
#39 - Xavier Ivisic 180cm / Bo Allan 190cm midfielders
#49 - Noah Mraz 198cm key defender / Kayle Gerryn 199cm key forward/ruckman

Others of interest:
Joe Berry 180cm small forward/mid
Jobe Shanahan 194cm tall forward
Archer Day-Wicks 186cm med forward/mid
Matt Whitlock 197cm tall defender KPP
Zaydyn Lockwood 198cm tall defender
Luke Urquhart 190cm midfielder

NGA & F/S rookie chances Hofmann 190cm HBF, Cole 197cm tall defender, Linder 179cm running HBF & Peckett 182cm midfielder.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on Moraes kicking and decision making. He is also Jagga Smith's size without the inate abilities in close, but as a 2nd rounder he would be ok. I am seriously hoping we finish below Adelaide this year otherwise I think we miss out on Smith.

As an exercise lets say we lose Battle to Hawthorn FA #5 & Paton to Richmond pick #39 trades without any other trades will give us picks - #4, 5, 25, 39 & 49.

My selections -

NGA & F/S rookie chances Hofmann 190cm HBF, Cole 197cm tall defender, Linder 179cm running HBF & Peckett 182cm midfielder.

Moraes had one quarter where he looked incredible. Probably the best 20 minutes of individual footy of the champs. He's not shown much else but what he did show looked exciting.

Got 5 best 22 players in.

5 years later 3 are still in our best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now do the opportunity cost on what we gave up for those 5 players

one of those players is another club's best young inside mid and potential next captain. something we are crying out for.

My selections -

No way Lalor is available at 25. Take him at 5 and run assuming we don't move our picks - Langford is more likely to be available at 25. Paton is not worth a 2nd rounder. Allan won't make it to #39 either, he'll be gone in the top 25. Mraz will probably be gone in the 2nd round too - definitely can't see him getting past Melbourne @ 38. I like the Gerryn pick tho

now do the opportunity cost on what we gave up for those 5 players
Overall, the picks we gave up pick 6, pick 59, pick 76, our future 2nd and our future 3rd. We also gave up a cooked Steven, Acres and Bruce.

In return, we got 3 players are best 22 players, Ryder who was a big difference maker before he retired and Jones plus the pick we took Brynes with.

Smith looks elite in this package:
  • Phenomenal poise and agility
  • hard at it for a lightly built guy
  • Has a great ability to lift his head and sum up his options before disposal.
  • whilst not electric speed he looks sharp in the first few steps.
  • Great self confidence to take it on and have a bounce.
  • solid overhead for a smaller guy and more than adequate disposal.

Would be hard to go past this guy at our 1st pick
Seems to almost be a consensus on this board that he should be our pick.
Any chance he gets picked before he gets to us? Or the earlier pick clubs going for different types?

It's not supposed to be equitable. The NGA system was specifically implemented to advantage northern clubs.
Ok. But when is enough enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back