Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing coach at Launceston Football Club and by all reports been successful over a number of years both in terms of winning premierships and developing young talent.

Colby McKercher (2), James Leake (17) and Arie Schoenmaker (62) from 2023 draft all from Launceston Football Club.

Link below to Mitch on SEN Tassie speaking about Arie's debut on the weekend. Interesting parallels between Mitch as a young talent and Arie.

Mitch may have had some issues when drafted but 18 year olds mature and learn. A bit more respect for a former Hawks player who has made is mark in football despite his journey not going as he and others had expected or hoped.
Mitch has done well for himself. Turned into a pretty good coach and sounds like he's a got a good footy brain. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets involved in Tassie team in some capacity.

Interesting listening to Bucks last night talking about our midfield “you tag Day then there’s still Newk/Worps that can get off the leash, you tag Newk there’s still Day/Worps …… you can’t tag them all!”. With Nash, Frenchie, Macca, Moore, Weddle etc rolling through, Ward knocking on the door and Huss developing nicely no stress if Smith doesn’t choose us as our midfield is stacked.

If you could have one of Battle or Perryman who would you choose? And why?
Personally I'd choose Perryman.

I think Perryman is a natural upgrade on Harry Morrison. He's a similarly versatile player, with a bit more scope to play inside, while still being able to contribute out of the backline or on the wing. He's a great bench player.

I think that's the most important thing in how we want to play as well, the ability to stay solid through the middle of the ground and hold our shape so that our defense isn't under a lot of pressure. Being able to bolster that part of the ground through acquisitions like Smith, Perryman feel more important.

Battle is fine and is similarly versatile but he's never shown much as a forward when he starts there, and as a defender he's not really big enough to be a full back, nor is he better in the other tall spots than guys we already have like Weddle, Scrim and Sic.

Honestly it's tough to find a spot for either of them but if I'm going to pick a spot where I think depth is the absolute most important, it's definitely through the middle.

If the guys keep up the improvements, we will soon not have a “War Chest” as we will have to start rewarding our players with bigger contracts! Although could see a lot of them sacrificing money for success!

If you could have one of Battle or Perryman who would you choose? And why?

Battle.
He would comfortably be ahead of Frosty, though I'd be super happy for Frosty to play on next year and be the squad depth.
If instead we wanted to release Weddle, then Battle could play a very similar role on the half back line. Very good mark, neat disposal, perfect age profile. He's demonstrably better than DGB who we're trying to develop to take a similar role, why not just add the upgrade immediately for zero draft capital....

Battle.
He would comfortably be ahead of Frosty, though I'd be super happy for Frosty to play on next year and be the squad depth.
If instead we wanted to release Weddle, then Battle could play a very similar role on the half back line. Very good mark, neat disposal, perfect age profile. He's demonstrably better than DGB who we're trying to develop to take a similar role, why not just add the upgrade immediately for zero draft capital....
I disagree he'd be comfortably ahead of Frost. In terms of age sure, he's got more time left, but if you gave both players the same defensive responsibility he's in no way better. Battle gets to play second fiddle to Wilkie who is a very good defender, it helps him.

If Smith does indeed choose Geelong then I'm backing in Ward and taking the pick to the draft. All things being equal wouldn't mind looking at someone in the mould of Frost (purely due to age). Not sure if there's anyone that fits the mould, stopped looking at the draft pool when we started winning.

There is such a massive scope for natural development still left in the list that we don't need to make any big reactionary moves if our real wants are off the table.

Mac Andrew is OOC at end of 2025 season.

Grew up in Melbourne - played in Dandenong....and that's about 5kms from our new training ground I'd say.

If Sammy wanted him, I'd be very comfortable with Hawthorn throwing up a very big offer and going hard at GCS at the end of this year.

We have money and we have players we could offer.

Then head back to the draft

IMO it would be perfect

Mac Andrew - gets well paid, and gets to come home.

Draft the 'best available' at our picks

Save cash by going after 1 established player, not 2...and the extra money saved could be used on pay increases for our own OOC players as they come up for renewal.

Mac Andrew simply makes us better.

Sicily or Scrimshaw would always be the 'free man' down back, even with a tag and allows for the possibility for Weddle to play mid / wing and Amon to go back to his 'happy place out' wide.

Hardwick can stay forward - it just gives us extra options.

Impey Frost Mitchell
Scrimshaw Andrew Sicily

Other Options: Amon, Weddle, Blanck, Phillips, Hardwick, DGB etc etc

Good luck breaking down that defence easily.

Honestly Mac will be the dominating defender in the AFL for the next 10 yrs. He really can be that good - probably not at GCS, but he would be at Hawthorn

Plus, just quietly, he's still in regular contact with a certain hardworking established key forward who's having a career best season......

Sound him out in private, and if there is ANY chance at all - make it so.

Get Mac and our premiership window is smashed open - and it will stay open for quite some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grew up in Melbourne - played in Dandenong....and that's about 5kms from our new training ground I'd say.

If Sammy wanted him, I'd be very comfortable with Hawthorn throwing up a very big offer and going hard at GCS at the end of this year.

IMO it would be perfect

Save cash by going after 1 established player, not 2...and the extra money saved could be used on pay increases for our own OOC players as they come up for renewal.

Sicily or Scrimshaw would always be the 'free man' down back, even with a tag and allows for the possibility for Weddle to play mid / wing and Amon to go back to his 'happy place out' wide.

Impey Frost Mitchell
Scrimshaw Andrew Sicily

Honestly Mac will be the dominating defender in the AFL for the next 10 yrs. He really can be that good - probably not at GCS, but he would be at Hawthorn

Plus, just quietly, he's still in regular contact with a certain hardworking established key forward who's having a career best season......

Get Mac and our premiership window is smashed open - and it will stay open for quite some time.
Waterman?

IMO it would be perfect

Impey Frost Mitchell
Scrimshaw Andrew Sicily

Is there something in this or are you basing this on that he's from Melbourne and played in Dandenong? I'd love the kid at our club especially with 2 other African's on the list in Chol and CJ. Really can't see GC letting him go without offering him a nice deal so we'd have to come with something to blow that right out of the water (which we can). This is also assuming that he's not happy living / playing up there.

All three would make our side better.

Battle would play across the half-back line, though he's not really a traditional CHB and is absolutely not a FB (IMO of course).

I think signing him would allow us to release Weddle further afield. But we would lose some of the run Weddle can provide from defence. To be honest the way Weddle has played the last few weeks could really be the best role for him going forward after all.

That's an interesting discussion and I suppose it all depends on where Mitchell and co see Weddle playing in the future.

IMO there's no way we'd be interested in Battle to play him as a forward. He could swing forward late to add another option, but I don't think he could play as a legitimate forward well enough to justify what we'd be paying him.

Smith would instantly improve our midfield and would form a "big three" with Day and Newcombe. What would it mean for Mackenzie and Moore's midfield time, or for Ward and Hustwaite in general though? Can Nash and Worpel actually play elsewhere? Something has got to give.

Perryman is a quality user of the ball and is reliable on the wing or the HBF. He's not really someone that runs and drives forward with the ball though (7 running bounces in 118 games). Maybe we'd be signing him to play him across the HBF and release Weddle, though again we'd be losing some of that run from defence.

Last edited:
Is there something in this or are you basing this on that he's from Melbourne and player in Dandenong? I'd love the kid at our club especially with 2 other African's on the list in Chol and CJ. Really can't see GC letting him go without offering him a nice deal so we'd have to come with something to blow that right out of the water (which we can). This is also assuming that he's not happy living / playing up there.

We'd have to give up the world for Andrew, he is going to be a superstar. GCS would be mad to let him go.

Is there something in this or are you basing this on that he's from Melbourne and played in Dandenong? I'd love the kid at our club especially with 2 other African's on the list in Chol and CJ. Really can't see GC letting him go without offering him a nice deal so we'd have to come with something to blow that right out of the water (which we can). This is also assuming that he's not happy living / playing up there.

We'd have to give up the world for Andrew, he is going to be a superstar. GCS would be mad to let him go.

I have to be circumspect - lets just say there is a train of thought that he would be better served away from the influence of a couple of people in his social circle. That's all I'm prepared to say, but certain behaviours are already a matter of public record.
Yes GCS would want the world, but if he wants to go - are you taking the pick / trade option or doing a Peter Wright / Jeremy Sharpe 1 year VFL option, and like those 2, he still goes?

All three would make our side better.

Battle would play across the half-back line, though he's not really a traditional CHB and is absolutely not a FB (IMO of course).

I think signing him would allow us to release Weddle further afield. But we would lose some of the run Weddle can provide from defence. To be honest the way Weddle has played the last few weeks could really be the best role for him going forward after all.

That's an interesting discussion and I suppose it all depends on where Mitchell and co see Weddle playing in the future.

IMO there's no way we'd be interested in Battle to play him as a forward. He could swing forward late to add another option, but I don't think he could play as a legitimate forward well enough to justify what we'd be paying him.

Smith would instantly improve our midfield and would form a "big three" with Day and Newcombe. What would it mean for Mackenzie and Moore's midfield time, or for Ward and Hustwaite in general though? Can Nash and Worpel actually play elsewhere? Something has got to give.

Perryman is a quality user of the ball and is reliable on the wing of HBF. He's not really someone that runs and drives forward with the ball though (7 running bounces in 118 games). Maybe we'd be signing him to play him across the HBF and release Weddle, though again we'd be losing some of that run from defence.
On current form Frost holds out Battle (maybe in a year or two but right now I take Frost)

Smith at his peak makes us much better. But this has O'Meara written all over it. Jaeger pre injury was a top 5 in the comp, and while serviceable he never came close to reaching those heights.

So who goes out of the side for Perryman? Is it Amon? Or Mass?

Given how well we are doing and we have a lot of potential players at Box Hill who cant get a game (Ward Huss Morrison Smitchell Maginness) - i think we can be really picky and rather than pay millions to guys battling to get into the team maybe use that on bonfide match winner like Sam Taylor or Shai Bolton

On current form Frost holds out Battle (maybe in a year or two but right now I take Frost)

Smith at his peak makes us much better. But this has O'Meara written all over it. Jaeger pre injury was a top 5 in the comp, and while serviceable he never came close to reaching those heights.

Given how well we are doing and we have a lot of potential players at Box Hill who cant get a game (Ward Huss Morrison Smitchell Maginness) - i think we can be really picky and rather than pay millions to guys battling to get into the team maybe use that on bonfide match winner like Sam Taylor or Shai Bolton
There is no comparison what so ever to Jaeger, Smith has done an ACL. Jaeger had a dislocated knee cap and a ruptured patella tendon injury. They are worlds apart. Also Jaeger never sniffed top 5 in the comp pre injury, he had the talent to but he never reached those heights.

I just don't see how Battle or Frost vye for the same position in our side. Battle isn't a fullback. IMO it's Frost vs Blanck.

At the start of the season I'd have taken Perryman over D'Ambrosio every day of the week, but D'Ambrosio is developing into such a good player - and whilst Perryman is a very good kick, D'Ambrosio is in the top few of the elite category.

It's hard to say who moves or makes way for him. Impey, Weddle and Amon all run with the ball more than Perryman does. Maybe CJ makes way, Perryman is certainly a better kick and is a more consistent player, but we'd lose some of that athleticism that CJ can provide.

I disagree he'd be comfortably ahead of Frost. In terms of age sure, he's got more time left, but if you gave both players the same defensive responsibility he's in no way better. Battle gets to play second fiddle to Wilkie who is a very good defender, it helps him.

It's ok for you to have that opinion, but I reckon 18 list managers in the AFL would disagree with you.
Battle rarely gets touched up by his oponent, and it's undeniable that he's a better mark, kick, and decision maker. Frost may be a better tackler, spoiler and quicker, not sure how the stats would show that up but very possible.
Unless you're looking for a fullback, no other position on the ground would Frost be the better option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back