Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of noise out there that the Demons want Olivers contract of there books and will let him go cheap!
Big contract to take on but we could front load the first couple of years, and i reckon we would be an attractive club for him.
Imagine the media the first time Clarry and Ginni are seen socializing

I would guess that his manager is trying to maximise what Battle gets. So playing the "look after St Kilda" card to get the Hawks to up the offer.

I find it funny that people get all up in arms about players trying to get the most value for themselves when they do the same for themselves when negotiating salary for a new role.
How many people have to fit into a salary cap in real world jobs?

I wouldn’t want Oliver anywhere near our young players, even if he came for nothing. We have good young players and talented experienced players teaching them, no reason to risk it.

Wish him the best in dealing with his problems, but he can do it elsewhere.

Paying Battle a bit of overs isn't going to hurt our cap. It is going to rise significantly over the coming years anyway.
plus getting in arguably the best or at least most spoken about free agent left helps the image of the club being a destination again and potentially opens players eyes going forward

Technically, everyone. Every company has a budget, which is basically what a Salary Cap is.
So you would ask for a reasonable pay rise each year
Battle would be on $500 000 - $600 000
A raise to $800 000 - $850 000 is more than most people can dream of
A raise to $950 000 is taking the PI55

Lots of noise out there that the Demons want Olivers contract of there books and will let him go cheap!
Big contract to take on but we could front load the first couple of years, and i reckon we would be an attractive club for him.

Maybe if this season and all the controversy hadn't played out this way, but then he would never be available. A fit and in form Oliver is the best contested midfielder in the league. This current one is like a completely different player.

Cats are super confident now. I've heard nothing our side on this for a long time.
That's not a bad thing. Either, we know the Geelong talk is just piss and wind or we don't really care if we get him or not. If he's leaning towards Geelong and we really want him, we'd be making a lot more noise to try and persuade him otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you would ask for a reasonable pay rise each year
Battle would be on $500 000 - $600 000
A raise to $800 000 - $850 000 is more than most people can dream of
A raise to $950 000 is taking the PI55

The AFL isn't comparable to the private sector. Comparing it to one of us mug punters asking our employer for a pay bump is beyond silly.

As it stands the salary cap is going up around 20-30% in the next few years alone. If you think Battle is worth say $750k a season under a likely long term deal - a 20-30% raise on that puts that figure up to $900,000-$975,000. So if we pay him $950,000 for 5-6 seasons that is absolutely bang on.

Cats are super confident now. I've heard nothing our side on this for a long time.

Yeah I think it's done, they've convinced him to join them.

Please let us never ever see the words, "he was a Hawks supporter as a kid," written in these threads again*.

* unless of course he ends up here.

even if we miss out on Baz I think we will still go hard at shopping our first and see if we get any bites. I imagine there are a bunch of young players that are reasonably happy at their current clubs but wouldn't say no to joining what we're building.
Indeed. Target someone like Zac Bailey, has stagnated a bit at Brissie. Could convince him that Hawthorn is where he unlocks that next level. I'm not the biggest fan of Cam Rayner but there's absolutely a player there, the footy he's produced in recent weeks is a lot more consistent and promising than he has in the past.

I genuinely do think those guys would suit our game plan better than Baz. I'd be happy with Baz, but I feel he's leaving for one reason - to be the guy. I'd much prefer we have players who can contribute through the middle but are happy playing other roles and impacting other areas.

The AFL isn't comparable to the private sector. Comparing it to one of us mug punters asking our employer for a pay bump is beyond silly.

As it stands the salary cap is going up around 20-30% in the next few years alone. If you think Battle is worth say $750k a season under a likely long term deal - a 20-30% raise on that puts that figure up to $900,000-$975,000. So if we pay him $950,000 for 5-6 seasons that is absolutely bang on.
So you would have Day, Newk, Sic and the 12 or so other players on our team better than Battle all on $950 000 from 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back