Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. Target someone like Zac Bailey, has stagnated a bit at Brissie. Could convince him that Hawthorn is where he unlocks that next level. I'm not the biggest fan of Cam Rayner but there's absolutely a player there, the footy he's produced in recent weeks is a lot more consistent and promising than he has in the past.

I genuinely do think those guys would suit our game plan better than Baz. I'd be happy with Baz, but I feel he's leaving for one reason - to be the guy. I'd much prefer we have players who can contribute through the middle but are happy playing other roles and impacting other areas.

I'd be happy if we were to sign either, both could reach another level with a fresh start.

Though realistically I believe they'd both be playing similar roles for us, as I don't think either could push into our midfield on a more permanent basis. Personally I'd rather see Mackenzie and Ward get that extra time.

Bailey could play that high half forward role, maybe releasing Moore and MacDonald to spend more time in the middle.

Rayner could play a similar role to Hardwick in the F50. If he gets a good matchup he could play deep forward and out of the square.

Mitchell likes moving players around, which is something he was heavily involved in and witnessed first hand during our glory years. They'd both could offer that flexibility.

Will be interesting if Bailey’s number 6 will have any bearing on where Smith goes.

With number 6 taken by Sicily at Hawthorn and it’s taken by Toby Conway at Geelong,

He would be more of a chance of getting his number at Geelong seeing Toby has played only like 6 games, some players get attached to there player number.

Will be interesting if Bailey’s number 6 will have any bearing on where Smith goes.

With number 6 taken by Sicily at Hawthorn and it’s taken by Toby Conway at Geelong,

He would be more of a chance of getting his number at Geelong seeing Toby has played only like 6 games, some players get attached to there player number.
Seriously?

Cats are super confident now. I've heard nothing our side on this for a long time.

No inside info! However Smith chose the Hawks last year, I’ll be surprised if he has changed his mind.

We really do not want a lot of attention on our targets so everyone’s staying quiet until after the season.

Watching fellow Hawk fans who were traded in and excelling would have one B.Smiths attention I reckon.

Wouldn't have thought.

I look at Battle as a kind of Temu version of James Sicily. That is not a slight on Battle as Sic is the absolute premium version of a general hybrid Half Back / Key Back.

So if we paid Battle $950k what would that make Sic worth on the open market? Probably $1.2m+?

He looks like a $700 - 750k player to me and thats with the "moving clubs" premium included in that number.

Id only be paying the absolute premium defenders (I am talking Harris Andrews / Jacob Weitering / Tom Stewart) $950k.

So you would have Day, Newk, Sic and the 12 or so other players on our team better than Battle all on $950 000 from 2025?

The average salary is working its way north of $500,000 and the salary cap is continuing to rise exponentially - so it’s entirely possible. People need to get their heads around that players on $800,000-$1M won’t be the cream of the crop players in the coming years. People still think you can get a sought after recruit for $600,000 but it’s not 2016 any more.

When profit is extremely high there is plenty of wiggle room for salaries for key skill sets.
When you go for a new role the business have a salary band (almost like a cap) that they will work within. Do you try and maximise what you can get or would you take the lower end of the band so you can be a "team" player?

If this was a motivating factor for any player I hope they don’t ever play for us.

When you go for a new role the business have a salary band (almost like a cap) that they will work within. Do you try and maximise what you can get or would you take the lower end of the band so you can be a "team" player?

Protip - always inflate your current salary in an interview and then say you’re ‘happy to forego an increase and just salary match if that’s what it takes to get the job’ - works like a charm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be losing any sleep if we miss out on Bailey Smith.

Two picks inside the Top 30, which is what we'll be looking at if the Pies don't rise too much higher, might net us a gem - or even two, given MM's track record. The draft reports I've read seem to indicate the Top 30 prospects this year are quite even and pretty decent quality.

Edit: Might even end up with three inside 30 if we're looking to split our Rd 1 pick.

Last edited:

He also has asked that no other player have a mullet/mo combo which probably rules us out also as Weddle has pulled rank there .

It might be a move by Weddle to stop Baz coming to free more $$$$ to bump his own contract up ???

if I was on $600 000 I would take $800 000 to work in a successful, fun, vibrant work place rather than $900 000 to work in depressing negative environment that had not achieved anything since 1966.

Must admit I haven't noticed Battle much. Haven't seen much of St Kilda either. I suppose his value to the club is not only his ability but how he fits into the team and having that extra tall and freeing up Sicily is one dimension. The problem I have with recruiting and trading is that there can be lots of shenanigans from players and their managers turning the whole thing into a horse trade and I don't like that. The best deals are done when there is a mutual agreement and the player has commitment to moving to the club. Done in a respectful and professional way. Something that we haven't had at Hawthorn for who knows how long. There aren't any either/or scenarios. I look at Geelong recruiting 2 of the biggest names in recent years, Dangerfield and Cameron. As far as I am aware there wasn't any of that BS. Both times both parties were on the same page about the move. Sure there was negotiation. But it happened and it was never not going to happen. Again, as far as I am aware. It also probably means that if Geelong have gone after Smith and there is a general quiet about the whole thing it is probably because they have made a deal. None of this and that and this much and that much.

He looks like a $700 - 750k player to me and thats with the "moving clubs" premium included in that number.

Id only be paying the absolute premium defenders (I am talking Harris Andrews / Jacob Weitering / Tom Stewart) $950k.

You'd have to pay 1.3m+ to get any of those guys out of their Clubs.

if I was on $600 000 I would take $800 000 to work in a successful, fun, vibrant work place rather than $900 000 to work in depressing negative environment that had not achieved anything since 1966.
So you are saying that you wouldn't even try to get the vibrant place to pay you $900k.......🤦‍♂️

Not if meant my previous crappy work place got some kind of benefit for me leaving

It's not a crappy workplace for him though. He apparently has no issues with the club. I really don't get why people are sour on him trying to not screw St Kilda over. It's the same reason I had a dash of respect for Dangerfield in how he departed Adelaide. A trade was facilitated so Adelaide got more than they would via AFL compo. I am still pissed off about how Buddy left - the 9 year deal was designed to ensure we couldn't match the trade. If we could have matched we would have gotten a significantly better outcome and it is a failing on Buddy that he allowed Pickering and Swans to **** us over.

It's not a crappy workplace for him though. He apparently has no issues with the club. I really don't get why people are sour on him trying to not screw St Kilda over. It's the same reason I had a dash of respect for Dangerfield in how he departed Adelaide. A trade was facilitated so Adelaide got more than they would via AFL compo. I am still pissed off about how Buddy left - the 9 year deal was designed to ensure we couldn't match the trade. If we could have matched we would have gotten a significantly better outcome and it is a failing on Buddy that he allowed Pickering and Swans to **** us over.
It is the same every year on every supporter page...their player wants to go: "well he should make sure we get more to help us we have been good to him" or a player coming to a team "we dont have to get to a number to help the previous team we should low ball"

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back