Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the latest in the Josh Battle saga according to Jon Ralph.

Enjoy the read http://archive.today/rpuxn
So after reading that they have absolutely no idea what we've offered him (years + $$$). The way I see things if they really valued him then they would've had an offer in front of him that was close or above ours but they obviously haven't.

If they were to turn around now and make a late offer the only way I could see Battle taking it would be if it was like 70-80k per year more than ours with the problem being they don't know what we've offered. Also if he was to turn around and take a late offer after it was clear that they were happy for him to leave as long as they got band 1 compo he'll always know deep down that he was expendable for the right price.

I wouldn't sit here and begrudge him for taking it but if he had agreed to terms with us and then backed out then IMO that would speak a lot of his integrity. I'm feeling positive but like others have already said we need to see Battle + polo + Kanga statue pic.

Yep, Harry Morrison is UFA but if he leaves we get no compo if battle is coming in. So prefer he is traded out. Or Sam Butler may want to play with his bro at Saints and he is behind quite a few in his preferred role.

So your 2nd pick or F2 should do fine.

PS : prefer to keep Harry as depth but I suspect he will look around. In that case, prefer a trade with Saints if we are not able to keep him.
If we get Perryman l, Morrison is gone he'd be behind another for the wing spot. Next year wings will be D'Ambrosio, CJ, Weddle (pending Barrass, battle, Blank fit and firing)

I suspect Port will go really hard for Perryman if Houston does in fact leave. But him Houston pulling out of Melbourne offer may also point to him staying because port know Perryman is off the table.

Just said on Fox footy, may be taken with a grain of salt that our offer is 850 which is short of the 900k needed to trigger band one.
So essentially if true their pick drops from around 6 to something in the late 20’s, Saints would be mad not to have a last minute bid if that’s the case. Either way Battle gets a nice pay day.

Oh, Battle would be plenty impressed if out of nowhere the Aints offered more dollars just for posturing. Not coz they really wanted him, just to bleed us.
I mean, that'd get you in the warm and fuzzies from the team you've actually bled for, right?
Battle would taste the bile in the back of his throat knowing he was just a game to them, and I reckon he'd come to us for unders if they did that.

I've become a real fan of the word disingenuous.
Would there be any more apt a description of those hapless desperate disloyal bunch of tossers down at St Kilda were that to happen?

Wonder if the AFL would veto something like that. They would've already seen our initial offer and if we all of a sudden ridiculously up it just to trigger band 1 and then all of a sudden there's also a trade between Hawthorn + the Saints then that would surely set off alarm bells. I mean it's not like we're Geelong where we can get away with thing shiesty stuff
The AFL haven't seen any offers as there can't be an official offer till free agency starts.

So if we offer over 900k that's the first and only offer as lodged in free agency paperwork.

Seems the secret formula has officially been leaked so everyone knows what gets band 1 compensation now.

Free agency exists for the players to extract maximum value for themselves.

Battle through his hard work and excellent performance has received great offers that he deserves. It's free market, if Stkilda and Hawthorn are both prepared to offer big money to get his signature than that is exactly what he's worth.

Prices are slightly inflated because clubs are willing to pay more for a free agent as the know a similar skilled player would cost them a hefty draft hand of player.

Saints rightly would rather overpay battle to stay than accept a late 20s pick.
I have no issue with players getting paid everything they can, i do have problems with clubs manipulating contracts just to reach certain compensation thresholds. Battle is a great player, he is not worth pick 7. Just like Mckay last year was a complete joke.

Wonder if the AFL would veto something like that. They would've already seen our initial offer and if we all of a sudden ridiculously up it just to trigger band 1 and then all of a sudden there's also a trade between Hawthorn + the Saints then that would surely set off alarm bells. I mean it's not like we're Geelong where we can get away with thing shiesty stuff 😂
You give the AFL more credit than it has shown this year it deserves. List managers have long standing relationships doesn’t have to be this year to get the payback then the AFL don’t have a leg to stand on. And it’s not a leap it’s 800-900 maximum it’s not out of the realistic realms of possibility. And serves them right for trying to be too involved should have far less rules and let clubs manage themselves without the incompetent overlords.

IMO better for Saints to chase Harry Morrison, offer him 400-500K for 2 yrs with trigger for 3rd. Openly state, they will trade for him so as to not dilute the Battle compo.
Benefits us vice versa as well, since compo calculations are capped to 5 yrs, we can make avg it to 900K for 5yrs and rest for 6th yr

Here is the latest in the Josh Battle saga according to Jon Ralph.

Enjoy the read http://archive.today/rpuxn
Assuming these claims are anywhere near accurate: Battle offer $800-850k for 6 years. And $900k avg for top-tier compo.

Are they seriously expecting Hawthorn to pay an extra $300-600k over the life of the deal just to move back a spot in the first round?

That's half a million dollars that could be put towards attracting more players to join us, or retaining the ones on the fringe.

Or giving pay boosts to the players already at the club who have been asked to accept less than I'm sure they could get elsewhere and have defied all expectations to deliver this amazing season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO better for Saints to chase Harry Morrison, offer him 400-500K for 2 yrs with trigger for 3rd. Openly state, they will trade for him so as to not dilute the Battle compo.
Benefits us vice versa as well, since compo calculations are capped to 5 yrs, we can make avg it to 900K for 5yrs and rest for 6th yr
Has been stated more times than I can count, but he’s an unrestricted free agent and we have no capacity to trade him

Just said on Fox footy, may be taken with a grain of salt that our offer is 850 which is short of the 900k needed to trigger band one.
So essentially if true their pick drops from around 6 to something in the late 20’s, Saints would be mad not to have a last minute bid if that’s the case. Either way Battle gets a nice pay day.
He wants to look after StKilda, rightly or wrongly. I am told we will increase our offer. Watch Ross change his tune when that occurs.

Has been stated more times than I can count, but he’s an unrestricted free agent and we have no capacity to trade him
What are you talking about? OFC he can be traded.

If a club doesnt want their compensation affected then they will trade for Morrison.

Not when our defence is humming along beautifully as it is. Im sounding like a broken record, but least points conceded since round 5
Think of it this way then. We want to maintain the quality of our defence whilst simultaneously adding the ability to redeploy guys like Weddle and Sicily into more dangerous, attacking roles further up the field.

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

He wants to look after StKilda, rightly or wrongly. I am told we will increase our offer. Watch Ross change his tune when that occurs.
He wants the best offer for him, as he should.

"Look after Stkilda" is bad for us. If he is going to sign with us he needs to want what's best for us, and a rival getting an extra pick ahead of ours and pushing every pick back isn't that."

Last year we were 16th with pick 5 instead of 3.

Anyway all this talk of compensation and upping offers, changing minds, him staying is all crap. Rumours of him staying and being days from signing have been popping up since the start of the year.

In my view battle made his mind up in March and we've been certain we had him since then. Only drama was making sure that we assured Battle that there was no change in our agreement when the Barrass story came out.

Not when our defence is humming along beautifully as it is. Im sounding like a broken record, but least points conceded since round 5

That doesn’t change what Battle is worth on the open market. I’m going to sound like a broken record - the salary cap is increasing by about 30% over the coming years. This would put a contract of $900,000 at about $690,000 in current terms. If we signed Battle for $700,000 people would be building Mark Mackenzie a statue.

Just because something is working doesn’t mean you refuse any attempt to improve it. Battle would likely make our defence better, offers us further depth and Frosty is 31 at the start of next season. Why wouldn’t we add a quality defender about to hit his prime years?

That could work, but would they even want him?

For those who seem to have very short memories and very firmly incorrect views on how free agency works - a bit of a refresher on recent history featuring Jack Gunston:

“The Lions decided to trade for Gunston rather than acquire the Victorian via free agency, to avoid cancelling the free agency compensation they received for Dan McStay”

For those who seem to have very short memories and very firmly incorrect views on how free agency works - a bit of a refresher on recent history featuring Jack Gunston:

“The Lions decided to trade for Gunston rather than acquire the Victorian via free agency, to avoid cancelling the free agency compensation they received for Dan McStay”
I wasn't aware we're allowed to post facts in the trade thread .... :sunglasses:

Yes its going good but thats being helped by the midfielders and fwds making thw opposition move the ball slow.

Yes we are keeping the other teams toow scores and low inside 50s but the stats say if teams can get the ball in they score

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back