Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Both things can be true, but they have a trade commodity that loses value if he actually goes out there and gets hurt.

Cotton wool and all that.
Oh i totally believe they are wrapping him in cotton wool, i just also believe he may be having a flare up of his back. Also not suggesting this is some disaster and we need to abort plans to trade for him, just thought it was something noteworthy.

The biggest part i disagree with is this being a convenient excuse, i they wanted to make up a story that could have picked anything else.

Devil’s advocate - what if we have already done a handshake deal with West Coast and they know their members won’t be giddy about the return so they’re selling them on ‘it’s okay he’s broke anyway!’.

For some reason that little piece on Lewis makes me think we are going to trade him. Nothing needed to be said at all.

I doubt it. I'd imagine the plan is for Lewis to come back in for Gunston and Dear to take over the role Gunston is playing now. That would make that forward line pretty decent.

Devil’s advocate - what if we have already done a handshake deal with West Coast and they know their members won’t be giddy about the return so they’re selling them on ‘it’s okay he’s broke anyway!’.
I am not sure i think that is true simply because too much can still change, i assume our first is going to be involved in any trade. Currently that could be anywhere from pick 10 to pick 18, obviously the most likely scenario is it is somewhere in the middle but i don't see how West Coast could be confidently agreeing to any deals without knowing where that pick sits.

i know it's boring to say on a discussion board but our club doctors will put him through a medical, if his back is cooked (in a way that messes up his ability to play AFL) they will almost certainly pick it up and it will influence the price we pay and whether we chase him at all.
I trust the club and the second he walks through the doors i will put aside any concerns and just enjoy having a quality player on the list. Until then though i think this is the whole point of these sorts of discussion forums. I feel it is pretty fair to have concerns over how his back may impact him post 30.

I just don't buy that they as a club come out and lie about his back causing him troubles. To say he hasn't been able to train for multiple weeks for his back is one of the dumbest things they could have done if it is not true.

I think some people are actively choosing to believe what they want. West Coast have no reason to lie about this.
I think they've come out and said this because there is already an agreement in principle for a trade that is likely to make the Eagles supporters upset.
This way when they do the trade for eg. 1x 1st rounder it's more palatable for the supporters that wanted more.

A scout on another clubs board has said that early days it's looking like the 2025 draft is looking like the most compromised since 2012.

It's worth keeping in mind that the value of 2025 picks is looking like they will be diluted.
Sounds like the perfect m.o to decrease the value of picks haha, I still think every year goes by the better overall the talent is. Top liners are still top liners but generally the talent pool is significantly better now.

It’s PR for their members.
Yep, sounds like they are trying to reduce the outrage when he's traded from "you traded our star for peanuts" to "great to get something for him as he's old and back is stuffed. it was either this or he plays out contract and gets worse and worse and retires leaving us with nothing."

Yep, sounds like they are trying to reduce the outrage when he's traded from "you traded our star for peanuts" to "great to get something for him as he's old and back is stuffed. it was either this or he plays out contract and gets worse and worse and retires leaving us with nothing."
Was thinking this.

We already knew he’s getting traded, reoccurring back issues ain’t a great sign though.

Or the Eagles are managing the storyline so that a fit Barrass can both pass our medicals AND not run the very awkward gamut of crowd reaction and media pub if he were named in these last few games......

Edit: Everyone already covered my thoughts... :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Or the Eagles are managing the storyline so that a fit Barrass can both pass our medicals AND not run the very awkward gamut of crowd reaction and media pub if he were named in these last few games......

Edit: Everyone already covered my thoughts... :tearsofjoy:

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

He's no Nathan Carroll or Fevola, but Ben Brown, do we want him?

Edit: joke...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know it's boring to say on a discussion board but our club doctors will put him through a medical, if his back is cooked (in a way that messes up his ability to play AFL) they will almost certainly pick it up and it will influence the price we pay and whether we chase him at all.
This. He will have his offical medical after their season is done. So everyone should keep their powder dry until then. If we actively pursue him after that, we obviously think the back won't inhibit him to any significant degree.

Mitchell worked at West Coast. He'd still be in casual contact with some of the medical team. He'd have some inside info on the current state of Barrass. Medical teams are fairly liberal with information regarding players in a situation like this, provided the player in question is happy for the information to be shared of course.

I doubt Mitchell goes to chat to Barrass a few weeks ago if there were too many red flags being thrown up by his chat with the medical team. Now, of course the Eagles medical team could be pulling wool over his eyes but I've never encountered that in my career in a situation like this (team with season over and a player wanting to get out). They would genuinely want Barrass to be healthy and happy at his next club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back