Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney’s success is due more to their exceptional drafting at the bottom end and creating a great development environment.
What’s this success you speak of?
Is it the two lousy Premierships in over 90 years?
That’s only marginally better than St.Kilda.
They won a Flag in 2005 after a 72 year drought and since then they have won 1 Flag in the ensuing 19 years.

FFS if that is successful, I would hate to see what a failure is.

Last edited:
My DMs are always open :)

Happy to be a shield and to deal with the twats if it means more chatter can go on here!

I will have to do something about the quality of puns though...

Not at all shocked that someone who was in my DMs saying we should be more civil to each other is on here today being a campaigner to Tops.

Topiary please don’t disappear mate, you’re more valued than the dipshits who are trying to knock you.
Any chance of getting a DM list that goes out to those that aren't dicks?

Used to privilege?

Amartey - rookie pick
Fox - rookie pick
Papley - rookie pick
Rampe - rookie pick
Melican - rookie pick
Lloyd - rookie pick
McLean - supplementary pick
Cunningham - pick #102 (rookie elevation)
Grundy - traded for 46 + F2

That’s 9 out of Friday’s 23 who were basically bottom of the barrel selections or cast offs from other clubs.

What about the above suggests these players were gifted due to “privilege”?

Sydney’s success is due more to their exceptional drafting at the bottom end and creating a great development environment.

Heeney - All Australian.
Mills - All Australian.
Blakey - All Australian.
Gulden - All Australian.
Campbell - average.

I don’t think anyone disputes that Sydney have drafted well (Warner at 39 is criminally good). But it certainly helps when most of your top end is delivered gift wrapped.

They won a Flag in 2005 after a 72 year drought and since then they have won 1 Flag in the ensuing 19 years.

FFS if that is successful I would hate to see what a failure is.
But, but, but Bloods culture.

We've done the analysis of Sydney's drafting many times now. What I think the majority of us agreed on was that by Sydney being gifted top selections through their academy it has allowed them to then take risks with their lower picks + rookie picks. Whilst it might seem slight what we've seen is that other teams don't have the privilege to take those risks as they're under pressure to petty much nail all of their selections and I'm talking everything from the national through to the rookie draft.

Whilst slightly different just imagine the risks the HFC would be able to take if we were to be gifted Alix Tauru and Christian Moraes through our NGA. We could move on from what seems to be a failed pick with DGB and bring in Tauru and then take a punt on Moraes who scoped to go early but has fallen in the ranking throughout the year.

It's important to look the guys that you listed above to see who was taken through their academy which in turn allowed them to take risks elsewhere. Other clubs don't have access which is a leg up whether you want to acknowledge it or not and that's not taking away from the awesome drafting they've done (they're awesome in this area if not the best) with rookie picks but just highlighting that other list managers don't have the same luxury.
The idea that you “take risks” with rookie picks seems counter intuitive.

Since when was a rookie selection ever considered risky?

Any chance of getting a DM list that goes out to those that aren't dicks?

If the ITK posters could be bothered starting one I’d happily join but I’m not going to start one on their behalf because they might not want to and that’s fair enough.

If we could thread ban from list management/trade threads the pricks who can’t wait to play ‘HAHA GOTCHA!!’ bullshit on our posters who hold up these threads all year I’d be very supportive of that.

I’ve said it before - but posters like Tops and TD provide info all year round and pretty much never shit on other posters. If you’re coming after them to big note yourself - take a long, hard ****ing look at yourself and jog on. The forum is richer for them and would be even richer without you.

If any club bid on gulden in the top 15 Sydney wouldn't have matched. Everyone had their chance. Mills has barely played this season. Like us they are a well run club and I respect them for that.

Used to privilege?

Amartey - rookie pick
Fox - rookie pick
Papley - rookie pick
Rampe - rookie pick
Melican - rookie pick
Lloyd - rookie pick
McLean - supplementary pick
Cunningham - pick #102 (rookie elevation)
Grundy - traded for 46 + F2

That’s 9 out of Friday’s 23 who were basically bottom of the barrel selections or cast offs from other clubs.

What about the above suggests these players were gifted due to “privilege”?

Something we don't really use to its full potential anymore, when you think our last premiership sides had from the rookie draft.

Brad Sewell
Robbie Campbell
Micheal Osborne
Clinton Young
Matt Suckling
Luke Breust

I may have missed one or two but my point is we really only use it to re draft players that we believe need more time to develop, and not really take a chance on players.

Something we don't really use to its full potential anymore, when you think our last premiership sides had from the rookie draft.

Brad Sewell
Robbie Campbell
Micheal Osborne
Clinton Young
Matt Suckling
Luke Breust

I may have missed one or two but my point is we really only use it to re draft players that we believe need more time to develop, and not really take a chance on players.
I'd say that's due to the fact that list numbers have been reduced and we don't have the luxury of a development squad since all of the players you mentioned were on the rookie list.

Heeney - All Australian.
Mills - All Australian.
Blakey - All Australian.
Gulden - All Australian.
Campbell - average.

I don’t think anyone disputes that Sydney have drafted well (Warner at 39 is criminally good). But it certainly helps when most of your top end is delivered gift wrapped.

Not sure how anyone cannot look at the 2014, 2015 + 2018 drafts and not see how much a leg up it is having priority access to kids that others don't. If anything they're the kings of working / manipulating the system to get as much as they can from it until the league has been forced to close unfair loopholes. Worth keeping in mind what picks were bandied together to receive the below academy guns.

Knowing that you have priority access to Heeney, Mills + Blakey would've allowed them to trade away deadwood players to dumb clubs (think North, Saints + the Scum) for enough points to draft these guns and then use later picks to take flyers on a Rowbottom.

2014 Rookie draft
Nic Newman
Lewis Melican

2015 Rookie draft
Tom Papley

2018 Rookie draft
Kurt Tippett (LOL)

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.44.23 pm.png Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.47.34 pm.png Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.49.15 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 12.51.47 pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the ITK posters could be bothered starting one I’d happily join but I’m not going to start one on their behalf because they might not want to and that’s fair enough.

If we could thread ban from list management/trade threads the pricks who can’t wait to play ‘HAHA GOTCHA!!’ bullshit on our posters who hold up these threads all year I’d be very supportive of that.

I’ve said it before - but posters like Tops and TD provide info all year round and pretty much never shit on other posters. If you’re coming after them to big note yourself - take a long, hard ****ing look at yourself and jog on. The forum is richer for them and would be even richer without you.
I reckon this the way to go about it. Maybe even do a poll and get people to vote which IMO is pretty much used as signature of agreement of rules.

Brad Sewell
Robbie Campbell
Micheal Osborne
Clinton Young
Matt Suckling
Luke Breust

If anything this just proves that once you have your core set and in our case Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy, Roughie + Lewis then filling in the gaps with rookie picks becomes a lot easier. Obviously having a great list manager + team is essential that have to nail these selections but most of the time once the core is set then the gaps are for the role players that are there to just do that in playing their role.

Agree Ned. We have a pretty good crew here. Don’t often post (outside of one thread) but interested reader. Tops, TD (despite a challenging exchange in the other thread), Four Pills and others have a great grasp of things plus induce info. If something gets up, keen as well.

Agree Ned. We have a pretty good crew here. Don’t often post (outside of one thread) but interested reader. Tops, TD (despite a challenging exchange in the other thread), Four Pills and others have a great grasp of things plus induce info. If something gets up, keen as well.

Rather than applying to be part of the “not a dick” crew how about banning those that are dicks and stick with what we’ve got..
The majority of posters are here for good banter and to talk footy. As with the rest of the cesspool internet there is the odd shit stirrer so just weed them out.. it’s not like the mods here mind handing out bans, so just ban the ones that are spoiling for others..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming that the Barass deal goes through and doesn’t involve our future first or current second. Any insights on whether we will be trying to get back into the 1st round this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FFS if that is successful, I would hate to see what a failure is.
Since Longmire began they’ve won 64% of their games, made finals in 12 out of 14 seasons and made the grand final 5 times.

That’s about as successful as every other club (including us and Geelong) in the past 14 seasons.

They simply haven’t won the final game as often as Hawthorn and Geelong in that time.

People here are suggesting Sydney’s success (which hasn’t been in issue until your……odd post) was due to COLA and Academy “privilege”.

I’m pointing out that they are getting great output from players who were overlooked by all clubs in numerous rounds of the draft.

These weren’t “risky” picks. They were prudent picks.

They haven’t been gifted their playing list or their results.

To suggest otherwise is sour grapes

Since Longmire began they’ve won 64% of their games, made finals in 12 out of 14 seasons and made the grand final 5 times.

That’s about as successful as every other club (including us and Geelong) in the past 14 seasons.

They simply haven’t won the final game as often as Hawthorn and Geelong in that time.

People here are suggesting Sydney’s success (which hasn’t been in issue until your……odd post) was due to COLA and Academy “privilege”.

I’m pointing out that they are getting great output from players who were overlooked by all clubs in numerous rounds of the draft.

These weren’t “risky” picks. They were prudent picks.

They haven’t been gifted their playing list or their results.

To suggest otherwise is sour grapes
So to sum it up, they have won 2 Premierships in over 90 years. 👍

As I already said, that’s astonishingly unsuccessful.

I'd say that's due to the fact that list numbers have been reduced and we don't have the luxury of a development squad since all of the players you mentioned were on the rookie list.

Yeah that was my point, good player come out of the rookie list but we don't use it as much as we did.

Rather than applying to be part of the “not a dick” crew how about banning those that are dicks and stick with what we’ve got..
The majority of posters are here for good banter and to talk footy. As with the rest of the cesspool internet there is the odd shit stirrer so just weed them out.. it’s not like the mods here mind handing out bans, so just ban the ones that are spoiling for others..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree to many are just looking for fights it's strange been like it for years

Yep I agree If you want to bag out the ITK posters do you deserve to read what knowledge they post.

Now that the Cats are done, does Bailey Smith come out and choose the Hawks :cool:

Any players from the eagles that we may want them to throw in to the Barrass deal coming back?
Eg Coby burgiel is from Gippsland and went pick 29 two years ago hasn’t done much due to injury. But had express pace and good skills as a junior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back