List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

At the moment, Matt Crouch is our first or second selected midfielder.

He is the only player with anything approaching useful clearance numbers. We're a disaster without him.

Are we though? He played in 5 wins, 1 draw and 9 losses. He played the most amount of games of the last 3 years and it was our worst of the seasons. Not sure how much better he makes us.

I mean, he’s clearly not ahead of Dawson, but as a pure mid he’s definitely our second-best performing

Soligo hopefully overtakes him over the next year, but yeah we can’t get rid of his clearance-winning yet

If we can get Peatling, he’ll help us in that regard, averaged 5 a game when played in the middle
Soligo will be in his fourth season, the same number of seasons it took Crouch to be an All Australian.

He will never overtake Crouch if he's still a second string midfielder.

We need to actually think about our next premiership team, and figure out how to develop players like Taylor, Curtin and Pick 4.

For that reason Crouch isn't in my best 22. I have a starting midfield of Dawson, Rankine and Soligo with a second rotation of Taylor, Curtin, Pick 4 and the occasional pinch hit of Pedlar and Rachele

Soligo will be in his fourth season, the same number of seasons it took Crouch to be an All Australian.

We need to actually think about our next premiership team, and figure out how to develop players like Taylor, Curtin and Pick 4.

For that reason Crouch isn't in my best 22. I have a starting midfield of Dawson, Rankine and Soligo with a second rotation of Taylor, Curtin, Pick 4 and the occasional pinch hit of Pedlar and Rachele
I think if Soligo’s ready to take over, he’ll do so even with Crouch in the midfield. Saw it at times last year where he was able to be the most impactful mid for us, just wasn’t often enough - yet. Consistency in impact is his next step

Curtin - I can live with him on a wing for the next two or three years, can go through the middle at times but again, unless his development is rapid, would be fine playing him in space

Taylor is one I’d definitely like to see part of the rotation - though if we get Peatling, he might struggle for opportunity. Pick 4 depends on who we draft, we’re not gonna play Lalor in the middle from day 1 for instance, but we probably would with Draper or Jagga

Either way, I do think it would be good to have an experienced clearance-winner in there for just next season, to ease the transition over to the Soli/Taylor/pick 4 brigade. Then suggest a move to Geelong for Crouch at season’s end

I think Soligo's main problem is his groin. He clearly shouldn't have been selected in at least one game last year, where he moved like an old man. Hopefully, this can be fixed over the off season.

Totally agree with these comments .....it's why I wholeheartedly supported Keays, a bloke who in Finals will never surrender

Get the balance right between talent, skill, and grunt ....it's why Murphy continues to be selected

Gulden, a magnificently talented player ...was taken to task this morning by Buckley ......it's not just what you do with ball in hand, but without the ball, tracking your opponent ....handing over when required ect

1727675241314.png

Totally agree with these comments .....it's why I wholeheartedly supported Keays, a bloke who in Finals will never surrender

Get the balance right between talent, skill, and grunt ....it's why Murphy continues to be selected

Gulden, a magnificently talented player ...was taken to task this morning by Buckley ......it's not just what you do with ball in hand, but without the ball, tracking your opponent ....handing over when required ect

View attachment 2126895

Murphy talent? lol

I think Crouch could do with being managed at times during the season. He plays a lot differently when he is fresh, compared to coming off 15 games on the trot.
Have a difference of opinion on that one mate .
Matt is a clearance machine one trick pony who just gets from contest to contest like a diesel landcruiser extracting the ball.
He is incredibly consistent, by the numbers his points per minute were good all year at at their best rounds10, 11 and 12
Just before he got injured. Returned and was straight back to work.
Big part of next years first rotation imo, Laird not so much.

Matt is a clearance machine one trick pony who just gets from contest to contest like a diesel landcruiser extracting the ball.
He is incredibly consistent, by the numbers his points per minute were good all year at at their best rounds10, 11 and 12
There is absolutely room for Crouch to be part of the midfield rotation... but not Laird.

Only room for 1 & Crouch is vastly better.

Laird needs to return to defence.

I think Soligo's main problem is his groin. He clearly shouldn't have been selected in at least one game last year, where he moved like an old man. Hopefully, this can be fixed over the off season.
We really need to learn to manage players better during the season like the Cats.

Better off giving a player a game off, rather than struggling for the next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CLUBS GET CLARITY ON COMPO

ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney are among the clubs breathing a sigh of relief, after the AFL informed teams that 'Band 2' compensation picks will fall before North Melbourne's pair of end-of-first round selections.

Sydney and Gold Coast, who own the pair of Kangaroos picks, now face the prospect of falling further down the draft order should any of this year's free agency departures be deemed worthy of 'Band 2' or end-of-first round compensation.

Clubs had been nervously waiting on the League's final decision about where the picks would be placed, but received confirmation from the AFL on Monday morning.

The Saints may receive 'Band 2' compensation for defender Josh Battle's move to the Hawks, while the Giants could receive similar picks should Harry Perryman depart or perhaps even for Isaac Cumming's move to the Crows.

JcXkGCXv.JPG

Isaac Cumming in action during Greater Western Sydney's qualifying final against Sydney on September 7, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Clubs had lobbied to the AFL for the compensation picks to be placed before North Melbourne's pair of selections, given a similar situation occurred last year.

Adelaide and St Kilda both picked before Carlton, who held the Kangaroos' pick in 2023, having received end-of-first round compensation picks for Tom Doedee's free agency move to Brisbane and Jade Gresham's to Essendon respectively.

North Melbourne earned three end-of-first round compensation picks from the AFL last year due to poor performance, one in 2023 and two in 2024, but traded all three to rival clubs.

Last year's pick was shifted to the Blues in exchange for Zac Fisher, while their two picks this season went to the Swans for Dylan Stephens and to the Suns as a result of a pick-swap undertaken last season. – Riley Beveridge

CLUBS GET CLARITY ON COMPO

ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney are among the clubs breathing a sigh of relief, after the AFL informed teams that 'Band 2' compensation picks will fall before North Melbourne's pair of end-of-first round selections.

Sydney and Gold Coast, who own the pair of Kangaroos picks, now face the prospect of falling further down the draft order should any of this year's free agency departures be deemed worthy of 'Band 2' or end-of-first round compensation.

Clubs had been nervously waiting on the League's final decision about where the picks would be placed, but received confirmation from the AFL on Monday morning.

The Saints may receive 'Band 2' compensation for defender Josh Battle's move to the Hawks, while the Giants could receive similar picks should Harry Perryman depart or perhaps even for Isaac Cumming's move to the Crows.

JcXkGCXv.JPG

Isaac Cumming in action during Greater Western Sydney's qualifying final against Sydney on September 7, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Clubs had lobbied to the AFL for the compensation picks to be placed before North Melbourne's pair of selections, given a similar situation occurred last year.

Adelaide and St Kilda both picked before Carlton, who held the Kangaroos' pick in 2023, having received end-of-first round compensation picks for Tom Doedee's free agency move to Brisbane and Jade Gresham's to Essendon respectively.

North Melbourne earned three end-of-first round compensation picks from the AFL last year due to poor performance, one in 2023 and two in 2024, but traded all three to rival clubs.

Last year's pick was shifted to the Blues in exchange for Zac Fisher, while their two picks this season went to the Swans for Dylan Stephens and to the Suns as a result of a pick-swap undertaken last season. – Riley Beveridge
Reading that list of trades....

Like GC, have so many first round picks they have no value to them.

If you had to choose between Crouch and Laird, it's Crouch all the way. We wouldn't have won games this year if he hadn't extracted the ball.

There is absolutely room for Crouch to be part of the midfield rotation... but not Laird.

Only room for 1 & Crouch is vastly better.

Laird needs to return to defence.
If Laird keeps on playing like he did in the Sydney game he will be playing in the SANFL.

If Laird keeps on playing like he did in the Sydney game he will be playing in the SANFL.

Looking at Lairds stats this year compared to last year, there are signs off less output. Laird gets a lot of his possessions too from cheap round the back handpasses which really dont count for much.

Looking at Lairds stats this year compared to last year, there are signs off less output. Laird gets a lot of his possessions too from cheap round the back handpasses which really dont count for much.
Laird has become a handpass to someone who is under the pump and an ineffective kick of the football. Needs to stop gobbing off at his team mates and extract the digit and stop stat padding.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back