List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Buff, who needs buff. These days I go twice a week just to keep the body moving and to retain some fexability and muscle strength. No point in trying to be a racehorse. I would simply kill myself trying 🤣

Im finding now in my mid 40s I am fatiguing quicker and require a longer break between intense cycling sessions. So now I make sure I have a couple of recovery rides mixed with some moderate intensity as well. My goal is to change my whole body shape and thin down to remove how top heavy I am. All about hitting older age with a healthier and thinner body so I have less stress on my back and heart etc, while keeping fit and eating somewhat healthy. I figure cycling is one of the best activities due to the lack of stress on joints.

ROB has sucked for the last 3 years and been dropped for the last 2. Taking a developing ruckman 6 years would have seen him in a position to challenge ROB in the last 2 years.

What does that have to do with not selecting a ruckman 5 years prior?

Of course there was a need.

Scorpus perhaps you can spell that out to him as he has me on ignore

There was zero need.

In 2016 we had the future 2017 All Australian ruckman who had just turned 29 and the heir apparent in Reilly O'Brien who won a B&F in 2020.

Why use more resources? If it goes pear shaped - you bloody trade for a cheap ruckman which as shown by all other clubs (including our own) over the the past 10 years is easy to do.

Suggesting we should have taken a ruckman in 2016 is idiotic.

What does that have to do with not selecting a ruckman 5 years prior?

There was zero need.

In 2016 we had the future 2017 All Australian ruckman who had just turned 29 and the heir apparent in Reilly O'Brien who won a B&F in 2020.

Why use more resources? If it goes pear shaped - you bloody trade for a cheap ruckman which as shown by all other clubs (including our own) over the the past 10 years is easy to do.

Suggesting we should have taken a ruckman in 2016 is idiotic.

we had opportunities to perhaps seek a project ruckman is the argument. Hamill on the rookie list last year should have been a project ruckmans spot tbh

we had opportunities to perhaps seek a project ruckman is the argument. Hamill on the rookie list last year should have been a project ruckmans spot tbh

Yeah - I would have been fine grabbing one. I am also fine going into the season with ROB/Strawnie/Toby Murray.

If it goes pear shaped - pick up the best VFL/SANFL ruckman during the midseason draft.

We will need to address the ruck situation this year anyway with all of 3 of our ruckman out of contract at the end of the year.

Yeah - I would have been fine grabbing one. I am also fine going into the season with ROB/Strawnie/Toby Murray.

If it goes pear shaped - pick up the best VFL/SANFL ruckman during the midseason draft.

We will need to address the ruck situation this year anyway with all of 3 of our ruckman out of contract at the end of the year.

Just seems an odd list management decision to ignore this area of the park. I guess they have always figured they can entice a fringe ruckman from another club.

You can just see Nicks and Hamish chatting

'' bloody hell Blight uses Ormond-Allen as a ruck and everyone praises him ''

'' too bloody right we get 3 x 200cm blokes and people still arent happy ''

Harper in the corner '' yeah but they are forwards ''

' so was bloody Shane Ellen ''

You can just see Nicks and Hamish chatting

'' bloody hell Blight uses Ormond-Allen as a ruck and everyone praises him ''

'' too bloody right we get 3 x 200cm blokes and people still arent happy ''

Harper in the corner '' yeah but they are forwards ''

' so was bloody Shane Ellen ''
Didn't they use Nick Murray in the ruck at 1 stage this year, or was that last year before he did his ACL?

I can't remember how he performed, but I imagine he has no problem throwing himself into the contest

Didn't they use Nick Murray in the ruck at 1 stage this year, or was that last year before he did his ACL?

I can't remember how he performed, but I imagine he has no problem throwing himself into the contest
2023 he entered 9 CBAs (round 12)

I'm not a fan of Reid, but you have to say that this years trade period has been a big win.

We brought in 3 players who will all be first 18 and will all make us stronger. We did so without giving away much, and maintained our top draft pick. If we get that pick right, this off season could be the pivotal point that propels us into contention.

So I would give the incoming players an A grade.

On the negative side, we didn't address a clear need in having a developing ruck, we also limited what other moves we could make by filling our list with unnecessary contracts.

So I think overall I would give it an A-. Good, but not perfect.
I'd probably give it an A- as well.

Disagree about developing ruck, unless you mean grabbing a 22 year old, like a Max Knobel type?

The last two years we were supposedly interested in both Harry Barnett and Taylor Goad - and maybe it wasn't terrible that they didn't happen?

Finding a way to extricate ourselves from Brodie Smith and Burgess, and grabbing a young-ish ruck and a draft pick would have been ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has Toby Murray gone in ruck in the SANFL?
In the games I watched (admittedly not a heap) he didn’t spend much time in the ruck, usually it was Himmelberg doing the back up work to Strachan.

I’m the bits i did see he showed good aggression in the contest and had good hands in marking contests. He didn’t show a heap in terms of his tap work, but I think there’s something there to work with, especially given we aren’t bringing in anyone else and we know
Strachan can’t play a full game at AFL level.

No. The rumours are that Adelaide is into Essendon's Sam Draper as a 2025 RFA, and BF is hoping that they're also into Sid Draper in the 2024 ND.
I think you misunderstood Jenny's point.

The source for her Peatling rumours was both very indiscreet and very high up. He's also the one that kept saying Sam Draper when he meant Sid.

She's suggesting him saying that a lot could be the basis for the rumours.

Wishful thinking, maybe?

There is absolutely no excuse for not drafting a young development ruck with a later/rookie pick. None.

The SANFL approach by the club should be primarily around development not SANFL Premierships...nobody will ever convince me that having a young developing ruck developing in in the SANFL is detrimental on any level even with a mature (break glass in emergency) Strachan or the like also on the list.
What's the point of taking a ruck in the draft?

We supposedly were very interested in Barnett. And then we were supposedly very interested in Goad.

It's good we didn't take them. Now we can see if they will amount to anything - and it's looking like they wont.

Grab someone who's 22, with a decent offer. There's less downside.

I think Angus Clarke will be cose to one of the best SA dtaftees taken in this draft especially given where he gets taken.
Probably starts as a nice sized rebounding defender and believe me he ticks all the boxes, best kick in the SA contingent both accurate and penetrating, good pace and dare along with plenty of run and carry, excellent overhead for his 189cm, good defensively one on one.

Versatile as well given he's gone well when he's had stints up forward. Expect him to be one of the fist SA lads taken after Draper...he's a ripper.
Personally I don't think Angus Clarke's far off Tobie Travaglia either stylistically or as a talent (better kick) who is being spoken of as a top 10 prospect, some see Travaglia as a future mid chance then so is this lad IMO.

Do you think he’s slid because SA were so bad this year, or the evenness of the draft?
Edit :- saw your response above 👍

What's the point of taking a ruck in the draft?

We supposedly were very interested in Barnett. And then we were supposedly very interested in Goad.

It's good we didn't take them. Now we can see if they will amount to anything - and it's looking like they wont.

Grab someone who's 22, with a decent offer. There's less downside.
Disagree, the point where both Goad and Barnett went in the draft (premium picks) is not where we should be selecting our young developing ruck. Later/rookie is the area of the draft where a lot of the better rucks are selected and where we got ROB incidentally.

Too late now but Flynn Penry or Joe Pike would be ideal candidates from this draft and both could go undrafted even. Penry would be every chance to get another year at the Rebels as an overager due to his late start to the season with injury.

The last 2 Rebels rucks to get the overage year were Rowan Marshall and Lloyd Meek, names ring any bells?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back