List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hamill has been better this year than I expected, considering how bad he was in the past.

It's very this board to be talking him up as staying over Smith, though.

We just got whip the whipping boys.
In reality, both should be vulnerable, each for different reasons

The fear is that if Smith is still on the list and regresses even more, and still gets senior games ahead of younger guys in as good or better form, it’ll be actively hurting us both short and long-term

Hamill has been better this year than I expected, considering how bad he was in the past.

It’s not a discussion on career, Hamill will not amount to half the player Smith was. But everybody’s time comes and Smith will give us nothing in the future. Hamill can provide adequate depth for a year or so. I’d only give him a year though.

In reality, both should be vulnerable, each for different reasons

The fear is that if Smith is still on the list and regresses even more, and still gets senior games ahead of younger guys in as good or better form, it’ll be actively hurting us both short and long-term
Yeah, I think that's fair.

I do think he has been copping a bunch of criticism, when he's actually gotten into much better form once he got healthy.

He's a strange player

I'd wager a large percentage of his contested marks are between the arcs. Hasn't quite worked out how to be effective as a deep forward yet.

Seems to enjoy the freedom of a roaming forward role or stints on ball

I'm not sure we quite know how to best use him either

I would wager its a case of we recognised what's best for TT and his abilities was not best for Adelaide last year, more so than we don't know how to use TT. In no way shape or form am I going to die on a hill that Rahilly had no idea what he had, that dudes a savant.

The thing is TT isn't a strange player. He's just not what you'd expect when you think of a 200 cm+ player, more closer to the 195 cm guys. However, Adelaide had Tex and Fog last year to do that, and really needed a guy to be that big forward to act as that outlet option and draw a pack. As much as it's not TT game, he was capable enough and got stuck in the role players job of 'well someone has to have their game sacrificed'.

The sad thing is we probably missed the moment where TT could have become that number 1 forward in the start of this year when both Tex and Fog were ice cold with that knee injury. He really is waiting for Tex to retire, though.

Last edited:

So you have been happy with Smith's form this year?

Comfortable we have returned him to defence after we moved him successfully to a wing last year?

In what way? The same way Teague is a savant?

In the way that he's a coach that has got a lot out of his sector. Geelong have always been potent under him, we became potent under him.

Yeah, probably in the same way as Teague. As much as he failed as a head coach, he was a banging forward line one.

The lack of talk about Tex's contract has me thinking he has either decided to retire or a deal has already been done.

This time last year his management were leaking all kinds of rumours to the media to force a deal.
Nah, the opposite.

Both Tex & the club will wait till late in the year to make a decision.

Contracted until end of 2024

Brodie Smith - has hit a trigger
Lachlan Sholl - extend
Sam Berry - extend
Brayden Cook - extend
Ned McHenry - delist
Lachlan Gollant - trade/delist
Patrick Parnell (R) delist
Elliot Himmelberg - trade gws
Hugh Bond - delist and re rookie
Taylor Walker - extend
Chris Burgess( unsure on length) - extend
Will Hamill (R) delist
James Borlase (R) - extend

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
More or less agree, except I'd retain Gollant if a trade can't be arranged and I might not bother rookie listing Bond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he goes on

The quiet is just our season has been on the back foot from round 1 so wouldn’t have been the focus

After the bye the talk will start in the media

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I hope he goes on, he’s still one of the best forwards in the game. Even if he’s not kicking 50+ goals, the value of his creativity bringing other players into the game, is a beautiful field kick and has the best handball I’ve seen since Gary McIntosh.

Has looked restricted at times this year though, getting beaten by the likes of Payne and Frampton, who are levels below him. I wonder if we’d play him sparingly next year, maybe only home games. Get him primed for one last full on tilt at finals.

In fairness though the Redlegs U18's team out there today were witches hats with the exception of a couple of players. Likely missing players due to State and school football commitments. Morwood U18's 1W 9L

WWT U18's State Squad players to play in today's game Tyler Welsh, Kade Herbert, Harry Dodd, Jevan Phillipou

Max Heath with 47 hit outs 5 clearances to 3/4 time for the Sandringham Zebras (Saints VFL) tonight out of contract year's end and behind Rowan Marshall in the pecking order, has to be getting itchy feet.

List management summary update:

Cook > re-sign for 2 yrs (this is the highest priority re-signing remaining)

Walker > re-sign for 1 (2025 will be his last but I think he deserves one more year, assuming his body isn’t completely cactus by August 2024, after what he’s done for the club)

Berry > re-sign for 1-2 (definitely deserves to remain on the list, would be nice to see him move past Laird before the end of 2024, but let’s be honest he’s probably depth only)

McHenry > delist or trade (absolutely should not be retained under any circumstances. List clogger. Would prefer pick 80 in any draft)

Sholl > re-sign for 1-2 or trade (personally I would absolutely offload Sholl because I don’t believe in his ability to be a big game player, but I doubt we get any offers for him, plus the club is clearly enamoured with his downhill skiing traits, 38m loopy kicks, combined with being the worst tackler in the history of the sport. This is not a finals winning player, that much I’m sure of.)

Bond > delist (no brainer, this is not an AFL player)

Hamill > delist but potentially re-rookie (much improved, but is there still going to be room for him even as depth only? Will be touch and go)

Borlase > delist but potentially re-rookie (solid enough, but much less of a need for him once N Murray is back to full fitness. Butts and Keane are a step above Borlase)

Parnell > delist (no brainer)

Himmelberg > let him sign with GWS as FA (no brainer now that T Murray has been signed for 2025, that was the final nail for EH)

Burgess > I believe he’s already contracted for 2025 and footywire is wrong (he’ll be on the list in 2025 regardless)

Smith > this is the big one. We all know the club is going to re-sign this cooked fraud due to some ridiculous contract trigger that has only been triggered by rewarding terrible form but let’s face it, it’s a waste of a list spot, and is stifling the development of both Curtin and Ryan.

Gollant > delist or trade (no brainer)

(+Sloane has already retired)

Last edited:
I would tap Tex on the shoulder - I wouldnt go near his back or he would collapse

I think its time he rests up

I dont mind your other notes apart from Sholl

Still undecided about him and I guess that answers part of my thinking - he has shown he can be a ball gatherer - its how he disposes of it I guess that is the bigger problem - but maybe thats also overloaded thoughts

Max Heath with 47 hit outs 5 clearances to 3/4 time for the Sandringham Zebras (Saints VFL) tonight out of contract year's end and behind Rowan Marshall in the pecking order, has to be getting itchy feet.
Surely we can't go through another off season without trading for a ruckman waiting for real opportunities like Heath etc.
Just mind blowing with so many good ruckman in last draft we didn't pick one especially with no viable back up in squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back