List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need to get a few games into Curtin with some squirts on the ball for the rest of the year. He looks good in this role in SANFL and showed a few glimpses of that in the 20 mins or so he was allowed to be on the ground Sunday.
Give a few games to Ryan let him show us what he's got. Can't see how he'd be worse than Smith.
Somehow convince Cumming/Perryman to come here
Draft Draper or similar elite mid
Maybe get Oliver but not at expense of the above
Get a young ruck via trade, preferably one stuck behind a good player at another club
Delist/trade/retire as many of Hberg, Parnell, Gollant, Berry, Keane, Mchenry, Smith, Murphy, Laird, Schoenberg, Jones as we can this year and next. Sooner the better for most of them. Walker can have 1 more year.

Then.....
Get rid of Nicks at some stage next year (prefer this year but it's not happening lets be honest)
Get a senior assistant into the club, try to recruit a new midfield coach to replace VB too. Someone not from AFC
Get Balme to come in as an advisor, even if it's part time
Get new recruiting manager (although to be fair our last 4 drafts have been ok, its the 3 years before that that were a total disaster and the main reason our list still isnt where it should be). Imagine Day/Serong/Young and Butters running around out there instead of our worst 2 players eg Murphy and Hberg (as the 2 players we drafted instead will no longer be on our list after this year). Should've been sacked a few years ago.
Get a new development manager
Roos gone from the board end of next year
Get a better game plan that doesnt involve slow ball movement

Then we might have something to be excited about
Agree with most.

I wouldn't give Tex another year. It might be the whole Sloane situations all over again.

Smith...... If we let Tex go, then smith most likely stays as we would be way too young.

Murphy and Schoenberg contract expires next year 2025 while Jones is 2026.

I'm hopeful McHenry does not get a new contract.

I think he would be a good replacement for Murphy.
Here's a question to ponder - would we be any worse off if we replaced 100 games of Murphy with 100 games of Riley Knight? Or 100 games of Jnr Rowe?

Makes you wonder why he's managed to get there when the others didn't.

Here's a question to ponder - would we be any worse off if we replaced 100 games of Murphy with 100 games of Riley Knight? Or 100 games of Jnr Rowe?

I would rather 100 games of Snr Rowe than Murphy. :$

If Tex, Sloane (gone) and Smith go at the end of the year

Over 100 game players are
Laird 243
Crouch 154
Keays 132
Dawson 127
ROB 117
Murphy 111

With Milera, Fog and Jones in the nineties

How many of our senior leaders walk into a contending side?

Reckon it's as simple as he toes the party line. Tells Nicks what he wants to hear. The others might have more self-respect.
Reckon either would have had actual game influence over the last few seasons compared to #4 , Rowe with goals and Knight with possessions and good kick for goal.

Agree with most.

I wouldn't give Tex another year. It might be the whole Sloane situations all over again.

Smith...... If we let Tex go, then smith most likely stays as we would be way too young.

Murphy and Schoenberg contract expires next year 2025 while Jones is 2026.

I'm hopeful McHenry does not get a new contract.
Look, you're probably right about tex, and even if he stays he's probably playing 12-15 games max. One of the reasons to keep him is just to have that experience, and I'd rather him than Brodie

Laird 243
Crouch 154
Keays 132
Dawson 127
ROB 117
Murphy 111

Reckon Crouch, Keays, Dawson, Fog definitely. You might get takers for Milera or Laird, but maybe not. Rob, Murphy, Jones no chance

Look, you're probably right about tex, and even if he stays he's probably playing 12-15 games max. One of the reasons to keep him is just to have that experience, and I'd rather him than Brodie
We’d all rather have Tex than Smithers, but the club isn’t retiring him mid-contract (unfortunately)

We wouldnt be worse off with literally any other player, because they've been completely wasted

We’d all rather have Tex than Smithers, but the club isn’t retiring him mid-contract (unfortunately)
Well that's on us for playing him this year when we didnt need to, we knew he had a games played trigger (if that is indeed the case). I would still encourage him to retire regardless

Reckon it's as simple as he toes the party line. Tells Nicks what he wants to hear. The others might have more self-respect.
Reckon either would have had actual game influence over the last few seasons compared to #4 , Rowe with goals and Knight with possessions and good kick for goal.
You're describing that old AFC 'leadership'...

Not much around but I think we need different experience. The current crop of over 28's just offer the same every year which hasn't cut it. We need someone from another club.

I think that was probably the idea with Yeo. Not sure he was the right candidate but we need someone fresh who would then transition to a development role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird 243
Crouch 154
Keays 132
Dawson 127
ROB 117
Murphy 111

Walk? Just Dawson.

I can see Fogarty and Keays ending up in a contender with a very specific positional weakness and getting an opportunity to try and make it work in their system.

Laird would probably generate interest as an alternative to a rookie for squad depth for a long season.

The rest, no.

Not much around but I think we need different experience. The current crop of over 28's just offer the same every year which hasn't cut it. We need someone from another club.

I think that was probably the idea with Yeo. Not sure he was the right candidate but we need someone fresh who would then transition to a development role.
Jack Macrae ? Doesn’t help our speed but he’d be a reliable senior player with good habits but would only if he came super cheap

I think we mainly need to hit the draft but if we could grab one experienced player cheaply I’d do it , but only if we commit to not playing smith and trying to trade Laird while he has value ( needed to play him half back to make him look attractive to a contending club, we aren’t smart )

Hammill has been in the system for long enough now that he needs to show more than a bit. I know he’s been unfortunate with injury, but for me, he needs to have done more. I’d be happy to trade or delist personally
Handy depth imo.

We lack pace.

We tried (and failed) for Chol last year!
It's not our approach that is wrong, just our lack of success.
To be fair I’d say we were pitching to chop to be back up and push for a spot. He was the Himmelberg replacement

Hawks clearly had a best 22 spot and there’s no way I was looking at him in trade period thinking that’s something we could/should be pitching so it was always a long shot if he didn’t have a better offer

Handy depth imo.

We lack pace.
We hang onto these “depth” players. If you can’t make the team which finishes where we have the last 5 years after awhile in the system, then you need to be moved on.

In a rebuild your depth should be the young players. I’ve seen enough of Berg, Hamill, McHenry etc. to move them on. Possibly Berry, Murphy and Schoenberg too.

The only one that we are stuck with is Strachan as besides him, the ruck cupboard is bare. If we can get someone in, he can go too.

Jack Macrae ? Doesn’t help our speed but he’d be a reliable senior player with good habits but would only if he came super cheap

I think we mainly need to hit the draft but if we could grab one experienced player cheaply I’d do it , but only if we commit to not playing smith and trying to trade Laird while he has value ( needed to play him half back to make him look attractive to a contending club, we aren’t smart )

From the outside looking in I know but Macrae hardly seems to have reacted well to being asked to play a peripheral role at the Dogs. And that’s with him being asked to step aside for Bont, Libba, Treloar, Smith and Sanders. Can’t imagine if we ask him to have a few less mid minutes so that Zac Taylor can have a run he’ll be super happy. We’ve already got Laird cracking the sads because he’s not the number one guy anymore, don’t think we need another one in there.

No point worrying about depth if there’s holes in the best 22.

We need list spots so we can throw a few darts at the wall and hope we get something good.
We need both.

We lack depth too... as we had net outs last trade period.

We have plenty worse players to delist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back