Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Had to be swearing would have thought... wasn't even sure what the free kick was for either against Travagelia too wasn't it, sad way for it to end for him, had a blinder deserved to have final mark

But once the disappointment subsides has to look at the positives, that he put himself into top ten reckoning

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
From a different angle moments before he marked:

IMG_1309.jpeg

Would you trade 2 for 8 & 9 ?
This might be the year to do it considering our needs & that this years crop seems to be more even.
This is the first year in a while where a top 3 pick is not worth two firsts, maybe we can trick gold coast but I doubt it. You could throw a blanket over 20 of the fjckers. Super draft without the standouts. Gotta hope we nail it!

This is the first year in a while where a top 3 pick is not worth two firsts, maybe we can trick gold coast but I doubt it. You could throw a blanket over 20 of the fjckers. Super draft without the standouts. Gotta hope we nail it!
On the contrary this the perfect year to do it.

If a team falls in love with a player they’ll want to move up to guarantee they get that player. We’ve seen GWS and Adelaide both do this in the past.

However the two GC picks are very gettable. They don’t have the list spots so they regularly just gift and throw away first round picks like it’s monopoly play money.

I said I would post my rankings after the championships, some might agree with them, some might not, this draft is a beauty as for how rich in depth it is, think of a puddle as your walking along, you then step in it, only to discover half your leg disappears, "wow", how deep was that, exactly! I will only be doing two rankings, this one and my final one a week before the national draft. My rankings are of the first two rounds and include academies and father/sons. I have five players in this upcoming national draft that I think have enormous potential, these players will have an asterisk next to their name.

THE 2024 AFL NATIONAL DRAFT
FIRST ROUND
1/ Finn O'Sullivan*
2/ Josh Smillie*
3/ Sid Draper*
4/ Leonardo Lombard {GCS academy}
5/ Levi Ashcroft {father/son}
6/ Sam Lalor*
7/ Jagga Smith
8/ Luke Trainor
9/ Xavier Lindsay
10/ Harry Armstrong

11/ Tobie Travaglia
12/ Joe Berry
13/ Isaac Kako
{Ess nga}
14/ Murphy Reid
15/ Taj Hotton
16/ Jack Whitlock
17/ Harvey Langford
18/ Sam Marshall
{Bris academy}
19/ Tyler Welsh {Adel father/son}
20/ Harry O'Farrell
21/ Kayle Gerreyn
22/ Ben Campareale {Carl father/son}
23/ Jonty Faull

SECOND ROUND
24/ Matt Whitlock
25/ Thomas Sims
26/ Bo Allen
27/ Alex Dobson
28/ Christian Moraes
29/ Noah Mraz
30/ Luke Urquhart
31/ Tom Gross
32/ Lucas Campareale
{Carl father/son}
33/ Jobe Shanahan
34/ Josh Murphy
35/ Cody Anderson
36/ Oliver Depaoli Kubank
37/ Cooper Hynes
38/ Jesse Dattoli
39/ Malakai Champion
{WCE nga}
40/ Harrison Oliver
41/ Lenny Douglas

We have to take a minimum of 5 picks into this draft, there is going to be some real value beyond 30.
I could see us using our 1st/2nd/3rd selections but could we get a bid for River before our 4th rounder (pick 58)?
If not, I'd like to use it in the draft. Is our last pick (pick 69) reserved for upgrading Kal Dawson off the rookie list?

I said I would post my rankings after the championships, some might agree with them, some might not, this draft is a beauty as for how rich in depth it is, think of a puddle as your walking along, you then step in it, only to discover half your leg disappears, "wow", how deep was that, exactly! I will only be doing two rankings, this one and my final one a week before the national draft. My rankings are of the first two rounds and include academies and father/sons. I have five players in this upcoming national draft that I think have enormous potential, these players will have an asterisk next to their name.

FIRST ROUND
1/ Finn O'Sullivan*
2/ Josh Smillie*
3/ Sid Draper*
6/ Sam Lalor*
7/ Jagga Smith
8/ Luke Trainor
9/ Xavier Lindsay
10/ Harry Armstrong

11/ Tobie Travaglia
12/ Joe Berry
13/ Isaac Kako
{Ess nga}
14/ Murphy Reid
15/ Taj Hotton
16/ Jack Whitlock
17/ Harvey Langford
18/ Sam Marshall
{Bris academy}
20/ Harry O'Farrell
21/ Kayle Gerreyn
23/ Jonty Faull

SECOND ROUND
24/ Matt Whitlock
25/ Thomas Sims
26/ Bo Allen
27/ Alex Dobson
28/ Christian Moraes
29/ Noah Mraz
30/ Luke Urquhart
31/ Tom Gross
32/ Lucas Campareale
{Carl father/son}
33/ Jobe Shanahan
34/ Josh Murphy
35/ Cody Anderson
37/ Cooper Hynes
38/ Jesse Dattoli
39/ Malakai Champion
{WCE nga}
40/ Harrison Oliver
41/ Lenny Douglas

Lovely work The Talent Scout. Really like seeing Lindsay, Armstrong, Travaglia and Berry pushing up to put pressure on that top tier.

I think that Lindsay, Langford and Travaglia are going to be the players that shape this draft. Could see clubs coming earlier for them than expected if the test well at the combine. I know those three have multiple clubs who are real admirers.

Going to be interesting to see who puts their hands up in the back end of the colts/Coates league!

Would you trade 2 for 8 & 9 ?
This might be the year to do it considering our needs & that this years crop seems to be more even.

Never forget, 8 and 9 will almost certainly become 10 and 11 at best* due to Ashcroft and Lombard so when you are looking at the players on any phantom draft board, that's the range you should be looking.

* also not forgetting that this is dependent on the finishing position of Gold Coast and the Bulldogs as they both have potential to rise up the ladder and play finals, pushing these picks back to the 14/15 range.

I could see us using our 1st/2nd/3rd selections but could we get a bid for River before our 4th rounder (pick 58)?
If not, I'd like to use it in the draft. Is our last pick (pick 69) reserved for upgrading Kal Dawson off the rookie list?

Realistically River could potentially slip back to a rookie pick.

Trade our future 2nd into this draft. Take a minimum of 4 picks picks.

Working off the great ranking list provided by TTS it "potentially" gives us the option to take either one of Smillie/FOS or two of Trainor/Amstrong/Kako if GC agreed to the swap. Could be a win/win for both clubs.

*Understanding that 8 & 9 will get pushed back in the order but there are always selection surprises in the top 10.

Realistically River could potentially slip back to a rookie pick.

Trade our future 2nd into this draft. Take a minimum of 4 picks picks.

If we intend to take River, I can't imagine why we wouldn't just take him with a 5th round pick. Why leave it to chance by passing on that pick and hoping to take him in the rookie draft? As I understand it, the difference in pay scale between a first year player taken that deep in the draft as opposed to a player taken in the rookie draft is only $5,000.

FIRST ROUND
1/ Finn O'Sullivan*
2/ Josh Smillie*
3/ Sid Draper*
6/ Sam Lalor*
7/ Jagga Smith
8/ Luke Trainor
9/ Xavier Lindsay
10/ Harry Armstrong

11/ Tobie Travaglia
12/ Joe Berry
13/ Isaac Kako
{Ess nga}
14/ Murphy Reid
15/ Taj Hotton
16/ Jack Whitlock
17/ Harvey Langford
18/ Sam Marshall
{Bris academy}
20/ Harry O'Farrell
21/ Kayle Gerreyn
23/ Jonty Faull

SECOND ROUND
24/ Matt Whitlock
25/ Thomas Sims
26/ Bo Allen
27/ Alex Dobson
28/ Christian Moraes
29/ Noah Mraz
30/ Luke Urquhart
31/ Tom Gross
32/ Lucas Campareale
{Carl father/son}
33/ Jobe Shanahan
34/ Josh Murphy
35/ Cody Anderson
37/ Cooper Hynes
38/ Jesse Dattoli
39/ Malakai Champion
{WCE nga}
40/ Harrison Oliver
41/ Lenny Douglas
Thanks for the list and the effort put in.

BTW this highlights that the current NGA, FS & bidding system is completely non sustainable. You can't have 20% of the top 40 players unavailable to teams in the draft each year. It is a ridiculous competition when often the draft sputters out by around pick 60-70. It simply has to change.

If we intend to take River, I can't imagine why we wouldn't just take him with a 5th round pick. Why leave it to chance by passing on that pick and hoping to take him in the rookie draft? As I understand it, the difference in pay scale between a first year player taken that deep in the draft as opposed to a player taken in the rookie draft is only $5,000.

List spots would be the main reason why wouldn't take him. I think it will be a bit of a squeeze come the end of the year.

If you rate others higher too, then you simply have to take those who are more highly rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because main list spots are a major consideration?

Because main list spots are a major consideration?

Agreed. In addition, I don’t see a point in carrying both Stevens and Drury on the list. If the plan is to pick up Stevens then I’d be delisting Drury, albeit Stevens would be 2 years behind in development.

On top of this, there are maybe 60 players ahead of Stevens as a rough guess in the national draft, I don’t see there being enough POD in him for another club to pick him over other players both in his position or in more desirable positions.

Recent history suggests we will draft him ND as we did Harvey & Archer, despite them probably being more rookie type players.

Personally I’d rather spend a 4th round pick on someone else than pick Stevens in the ND. I think if Damon Hollow is around at that point, with his speed and long kicking for his size, and versatility to play in all lines, I see him as a more developable small than Stevens, for example.

I still rate him, he’s tough and has smarts, just a very good draft crop that should see him rookied.

Thursfield was pretty dead-eye with picks in the teens and twenties for Richmond. I trust that he can extract maximum value.
I have no worries about the selections in the national draft that Will and Brady take and what picks we do end up having.
I've said before I think Will is right up there as one of the best young recruiters in the game, whoever we select will be I think pretty good, everyone can sleep easy before the draft, Will would have done a mountain of work that people would have no idea, plus involving the next two drafts and who is coming through the ranks, its not just all about this years players. ;)

I have no worries about the selections in the national draft that Will and Brady take and what picks we do end up having.
I've said before I think Will is right up there as one of the best young recruiters in the game, whoever we select will be I think pretty good, everyone can sleep easy before the draft, Will would have done a mountain of work that people would have no idea, plus involving the next two drafts and who is coming through the ranks, its not just all about this years players. ;)

I'm more curious about the reach of our spotters and talent scouts across the country. Does anyone know how many people we have actively watching games lives across the country? 1 to 2 in each of the states? More? What level of game do they get to? APS? Local leagues?

What's the general consensus? Seeing games live give a better idea or watching the replay over and over. Do we have access to down the ground vision for Coates League games etc?

Would love to hear from the club on their current approach.

Last edited:
Xavier Lindsay showed why he should be locked in as a first round pick with an outstanding performance in the biggest game of this years Champs series. He played on a wing in the first half of the game and showed he has all the attributes and positional knowledge to thrive there, working up and back, finding a stack of the footy and apply immense defensive pressure. He played more onball in the second half where he was effective and competitive. He did have a few costly turnovers, but also some key moments of quality with ball in hand.

Agreed. In addition, I don’t see a point in carrying both Stevens and Drury on the list. If the plan is to pick up Stevens then I’d be delisting Drury, albeit Stevens would be 2 years behind in development.

On top of this, there are maybe 60 players ahead of Stevens as a rough guess in the national draft, I don’t see there being enough POD in him for another club to pick him over other players both in his position or in more desirable positions.

Recent history suggests we will draft him ND as we did Harvey & Archer, despite them probably being more rookie type players.

Personally I’d rather spend a 4th round pick on someone else than pick Stevens in the ND. I think if Damon Hollow is around at that point, with his speed and long kicking for his size, and versatility to play in all lines, I see him as a more developable small than Stevens, for example.

I still rate him, he’s tough and has smarts, just a very good draft crop that should see him rookied.
My view on River is if he is good enough then we draft him , if he is not then we pass. We dont want to draft sons because of the name on the occassion that it may work out.

Xavier Lindsay showed why he should be locked in as a first round pick with an outstanding performance in the biggest game of this years Champs series. He played on a wing in the first half of the game and showed he has all the attributes and positional knowledge to thrive there, working up and back, finding a stack of the footy and apply immense defensive pressure. He played more onball in the second half where he was effective and competitive. He did have a few costly turnovers, but also some key moments of quality with ball in hand.

Our guy.

My view on River is if he is good enough then we draft him , if he is not then we pass. We dont want to draft sons because of the name on the occassion that it may work out.

He’s draftable, he just shouldn’t be guaranteed in the National Draft. And I don’t think we should carry him, Harvey and Drury who don’t project to have a heap of POD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back