Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking to a port friend of mine this week, he made me aware port also were off a 5 day break last time u played and in fact went on about the fact that not only that but they were playing their 3rd game in 10 days when they came up against you and also coming back from tassie the round before. Sound like he was looking for excuses but he was convinced they were the reasons you ran riot in the last qtr last time.
Their 3rd game in 10 days? How does that work out?

Their 3rd game in 10 days? How does that work out?
I found that odd too looking at the fixture he was a day off. Port played hawthorn in that thriller on sun, may 19th then north in tassie sat may 25th, then the blues Thu may 30 so that's 3 games in 11. I think he just wanted to rant but I can see why port may have run out of steam last time they played carlton

I found that odd too looking at the fixture he was a day off. Port played hawthorn in that thriller on sun, may 19th then north in tassie sat may 25th, then the blues Thu may 30 so that's 3 games in 11. I think he just wanted to rant but I can see why port may have run out of steam last time they played carlton

A few sides have done it, Ross used it as an excuse with St Kilda, I'd guess there would be a few more. It's the AFL way of organising a fixture in which there is no common sense or logic. If they do it surely the team shouldn't be travelling?

A 5 day break at this time of year for any side is really poor planning by a so called professional organisation

Welcome back Binns?
Vossy does like his next man up philosophy, so Binns makes sense. The knocks on him are that he is too small and not really that fast. His kicking has been questioned a little as well.

I really hope he plays well, for himself and for the greater good. If he is selected, really do hope he plays a blinder. 25 possies, 5 tackles and a goal. Go Jaxon, give those Hinkley hating morons hell.

A few sides have done it, Ross used it as an excuse with St Kilda, I'd guess there would be a few more. It's the AFL way of organising a fixture in which there is no common sense or logic. If they do it surely the team shouldn't be travelling?

A 5 day break at this time of year for any side is really poor planning by a so called professional organisation
We all know that the AFL is driven by revenue and what Foxtel and Channel seven want. They have no desire to look out for clubs or supporters imo.

Acres was a liability against North, the foot must of already not been right and his greatest strength is his run thus having that impacted means he falls considerably in output.

Can Cunners go on the wing? Walsh/Cerra obviously other possibilities? Maybe Cinc and try Cotters tagging (will keep him focused a bit more and help him get into form).

This game will very much be a midfield battle and would love to see Hewett and Carrol really cement themselves in the eyes of the MC for this one.

Jacks been out of the team for so long many have forgotten what he brings. He’ll be a very important inclusion for us.

To your point though - why isn’t the forward coach addressing these issues - surely this is forward coaching 1.0.1.

We've been pretty efficient i50 in recent times.

Our biggest problem is defence and keeping our pressure rating at the standard we expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm putting Walsh on wing and Cerra in the middle.
I'm keeping Carroll ahead of Cotts and Kennedy as sub.
Cottrell back in for Acres to my previous effort
Also switched Cerra & Cincotta
Cerra can take their dangerous HBF and Cincotta tag a midfielder plus be strong over the ball at the CBA.

Kemp Weitering Newman
Boyd McGovern Saad

Walsh Hewett Ollie
Pitto Cripps Cincotta

Elijah Charlie Cerra
Motlop Harry Owies

Cowan Fogarty Carroll Cottrell
Kennedy

Last edited:
Okay, I will take a stab.

Bins, to make his second debut.

Cow to be dropped and Lige to sub.

Kemp Weiters Saad

Boyd McLovin Newman

Binns Cripps Ollie

Pitt George Carroll

Cunners Charlie Fog

Owies Harry Motts

Kennedy Cinc Cerra Cotters

Sub Lije

Noting Cowan and Kemp both can turn the ball over, they’ve both spent time in the 2’s as part of their development, while Ollie has played every game on the team.

If the team is as banged up as were led to believe, surely Ollie could benefit from a refresher in the 2’s.

Cowan and Kemp are helped playing in defensive group with players around them who can support.

Ollie playing wing is a lone hand & other teams will try to play through, given his lack of strength, height & speed.

I’m not potting Ollie for the sake of it, I genuinely worry whenever he has the ball that he will turn it over, be pushed off the ball, miss a crucial tackle or be caught when running with the ball - all in the midfield where the cost of turnover is heightened.

He did a few good things again on the weekend, but I think his wing could be better occupied by Cerra, at this stage.

We need to be honest with ourselves - are we a potential premiership team this year, or a developing team still?

I think the former & as such need to identify & mitigate our weaknesses where we can.
Ollie was quite good last week. Missed a goal that he should have kicked and tried to lay it off in the forward 50 which got cut off. Apart from that his use was very good. Can't remember him getting caught.

You have to be honest with yourself, are you just starting with a basic premise (Ollie is not up to it) and then just trying to make points to validate your argument or just going off on tangents with the potential premiership team/developing team thing. Surely we have to develop players as part of the journey to be a premiership contender. To say that we have to be one or the other and that we can't be a premiership contender by developing players like Ollie is plain ludicrous.

I can't imagine Ollie not playing this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back