Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
About sums him up. Much like Cuningham. You get a quarter or so that teases and get you excited but the evidence over full games suggest otherwise

As I have said, I am happy for someone to show me any games he has done well as a wingman
Not sure Cuningham is a great comparison. Cottrell was relatively new to the game and he's shown steady improvement across his career. Early on, looked long odds to ever get a game. When he did debut, he was a whipping boy and most wanted him delisted.

His disposal and decision making has improved out of sight, to the point where he's one of the better players at lowering the eyes and not blazing away. And unlike Cuners, he seems to relish the pressure and the big stage. Kicked multiple clutch goals and probably played his best game in the high pressure elimination final vs Sydney.

Mightn't have succeeded previously on the wing but he's got the attributes and the intent. Not ruling him out from getting there.

Not sure Cuningham is a great comparison. Cottrell was relatively new to the game and he's shown steady improvement across his career. Early on, looked long odds to ever get a game. When he did debut, he was a whipping boy and most wanted him delisted.

Agree. When moved to defensive HF by Voss he has found his feet and roll that suits him.

Played well on the weekend in that role (and even some at HB) because he was following players and being led to the ball. Perfect. Why change it when it works?

His disposal and decision making has improved out of sight, to the point where he's one of the better players at lowering the eyes and not blazing away. And unlike Cuners, he seems to relish the pressure and the big stage. Kicked multiple clutch goals and probably played his best game in the high pressure elimination final vs Sydney.

Don't disagree with these comments but that's not the conversation. Reference to Cuningham was about consistent output and playing 4 quarters.

Can he play permanant wing? After 5 seasons and 66 games evidence suggests very different as he get lost when he does.

Like I said, happy for somone to show me evidence to the contrary instead of opinion

Does that mean Harry will have to miss?

Ultimately I think a concussion doctor should be impartial and supplied by the AFL. Take the pressure out of the clubs hands. Avoids instances like on the weekend.

The Marchbank thing interests me. He's been picked at almost every chance by every coaching staff he's played under with us. So it can't be a case of being a certain coaches favourite, it's carried across every regime. There's something there that every coach wants to take advantage of as soon as he's fit - that's just a rarity.

We've seen elite games from him, he's done it in a prelim no less. If, by a miracle, we can get 2 months of footy out of him from now until finals he might just be a huge difference maker. But that's just about the biggest if in club history

Does that mean Harry will have to miss?

Ultimately I think a concussion doctor should be impartial and supplied by the AFL. Take the pressure out of the clubs hands. Avoids instances like on the weekend.
No, he wasn't concussed, so won't miss

The reprimand is just because of the club's handling - which I can see both sides of - hence the slap on the wrist reprimand.

Jacks been out of the team for so long many have forgotten what he brings. He’ll be a very important inclusion for us.

To your point though - why isn’t the forward coach addressing these issues - surely this is forward coaching 1.0.1.
I think Fantasia is pretty good for smarts.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No l, just saying the reasons given weren't enough to send Ollie to the vfl now.

When he was dropped, he should T have come back without playing VFL. But since then his game has improved markedly.

I think we have better options for his wing - Elijah, Cerra, Cotters.

Can’t see him being dropped now with Sheriff out.

His form last year was better than this year IMHO.

A few sides have done it, Ross used it as an excuse with St Kilda, I'd guess there would be a few more. It's the AFL way of organising a fixture in which there is no common sense or logic. If they do it surely the team shouldn't be travelling?

A 5 day break at this time of year for any side is really poor planning by a so called professional organisation
Has anyone ever thought the AFL was a professional organisation?

Just confirming the breach is because he didn't come off straight away for the concussion test right?
Yes, but nothing more than a reprimand. I think there was consideration for the fact both doctors were occupied so it was exceptional circumstances.

In the end he should've come off regardless, but as far as excuses go that one is close to fair enough, so just a slap on the wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back