Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's due a big 10-goal haul to seal the Coleman, I reckon. Though I'd be equally happy, if not happier, to see a smart game from him with 5+ goal assists.
hope to see Martin back soon. I hope once we have 3 legitimate targets down there we can do what North did and isolate the smallest defender in the goal square.

Charlie is arguably the best contested mark in the game, but it's easier for most no.1 defenders to spoil a long high ball to a wrestling contest than it is for even the best mark to take it cleanly.

As always, such stats should always be viewed with some degree of context.

Last 11 results (most recent first, working backwards):
(2024)
- beat St Kilda (62-60)
(2023)
  • lost to Carlton (72-122)
  • beat Bulldogs (107-85)
  • beat St Kilda (83-76)
(2022)
- beat Essendon (146-62)
(2021 - COVID Hubs)
  • beat Bulldogs (66-64)
  • beat GWS (100-73)
  • beat Collingwood (97-69)
  • beat St Kilda (74-61)
  • beat Hawthorn (87-53)
  • beat North Melbourne (117-65)

2024, St Kilda are rubbish.
2023, Port were very good, finishing third on the ladder, we belted them, and the Dogs and Saints were mid-table sides.
2022, Essendon were rubbish.
2021, Port were very good, finishing third on the ladder, Roos, Pies and Hawks were all bottom 6, Saints and Giants were mid-table sides (and Giants game was a neutral venue), only Bulldogs were a top 6 side and that game was a tight one.

There's also, as you can expect from the media, selective sampling. Why is 2021 relevant to the discussion? Cause Port won 6 games there that year and it makes the 10-1 record look impressive. The previous 11 games they went 5-6, so of course we'll just look at the last 11

Of their last 11 games at Marvel, they've won 5 games against shit teams, 4 games against mid-tables sides in years that Port themselves were running hot, 1 game against a strong side, and got done to the tune of 50 points by the mighty Blues when we got our shit together last season.

If we had a record like that at say Gold Coasts ground we’d go in extremely confident, this is an intangible that Port can take confidence in.

I guess we’ll see by about 10pm tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

If we had a record like that at say Gold Coasts ground we’d go in extremely confident, this is an intangible that Port can take confidence in.

I guess we’ll see by about 10pm tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Having that record at Carrara would mean we had beaten Gold Coast each time. I think it's only their record against us that matters.

We'd like playing in SA more if we played the Eagles there, but I'm not sure it would matter as much against the Crows.

I really hope Cerra doesnt spend much time at half back tonight, i thought he cost us a few goals last week, with really sub par efforts of attacking the ball and opposition, id much prefer Cincotta there, in saying that, i hope if Cincotta tags anyone, its Houston, keep it simple, no getting lost on changeovers with mids if tagging a mid, just do a job on their outlet from defence.

Cunners the sub again please.

Two decent outs for us, but Gov is a good inclusion and Pitto is solid, no excuses.

hope to see Martin back soon. I hope once we have 3 legitimate targets down there we can do what North did and isolate the smallest defender in the goal square.

Charlie is arguably the best contested mark in the game, but it's easier for most no.1 defenders to spoil a long high ball to a wrestling contest than it is for even the best mark to take it cleanly.

I reckon Harry is the best contested mark at the moment but a nice problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real nervous about this one. Think we need to finish top 2 and to do that, tonight is simply must win.

Being a pessimist I’m doing some mental gymnastics at the moment that if we can’t finish top 2 are we better to be 5th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have won 10/11 at Marvel. I just cannot understand why we play home games there instead of the MCG. If we lose tonight, top two is gone. Surely, the club can see that if this game was being played at the MCG, we'd have a better chance at winning? Marvel is a neutral venue at best. We absolutely should not be playing home games there.
Anyone, anywhere, any time 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

GO BLUES 💙

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back