Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 Changes

IMG_0952.jpeg
MILESTONE: Nic Newman 100 Carlton Games

IMG_0953.jpeg

Baiting? Silly question.

Pitto did exactly zero around the ground. Nothing, nada, zip....

How could Mirkov be worse?

Not baiting at all

This view that a substandard VFL player, who will likely get cut, couldn't do "any worse" is bizarre

Its the "Dow Effect" all over again

Compare Pitto's VFL form to Mirkov and you will have your answer

I'd be bringing in Young to play ruck, a role that at least gives us something around the ground, that both Pitto and Mirkov struggle to achieve

Looking forward to the game and the bounce back from the boys.

Is the game a complete sell out ticket-wise? I was trying to upgrade two GA memberships to reserved seats and ticketek was not offering any seats last night, so I am presuming it might be. Might be wishful thinking that we could get in on GA on Sunday but hoping we can.

Is the game a complete sell out ticket-wise? I was trying to upgrade two GA memberships to reserved seats and ticketek was not offering any seats last night, so I am presuming it might be. Might be wishful thinking that we could get in on GA on Sunday but hoping we can.
I'd be very surprised if there's more than 60K there on Sunday. Should be heaps of seats.

I'd be very surprised if there's more than 60K there on Sunday. Should be heaps of seats.

GA members will be able to walk in on Sunday.
GA tickets for general public are exhausted - not unusual for Carlton games this year - I'd say $70k-$75 this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously super disappointed with our current form... not chucking the towel in just yet. Also don't care if we "just scrape into the 8" or "make up the numbers"

This season has been strange. Teams are going through patches of good and bad form and the competition is the tightest I can remember it ever being.
The Lions were cooked early in the year, so were the Hawks. The Dogs were cooked a month ago when they got flogged by Port. Us and the Swans look cooked now.
The margins are slim. There is no reason any team down to 11th (except *, they're frauds) can't make it and hit a purple patch in September and pinch a flag like the Dogs 2016.

We can find something this weekend and win. We can find something and win the last 3.

There is no way MC is rolling the dice at selection with numerous debutants or wild card selections with so much at stake still.

Our best footy is more than good enough, even in this lull. 1st qtr GWS, 2nd qtr Port, 4th qtr Coll. Sustaining it for longer and lifting the floor of our poor quarters is the difference right now.
Hopefully we turn the quarter on Sunday.

GB's

What I would like to see is just some basic football skills:
  • Kick in from goals, even junior teams have 2-3 ways to kick the ball back into play to get past an opposition zone, Collingwood did...
  • 4-5 hit up kicks to leading forwards, out in front of them and not on their heads.
  • Forward craft roving, someone out the back for the one that is put on the forwards heads and goes out the back.
  • NO handpassing to someone standing still or to someone under the pump.
If we have no forward pressure this week, their back six will carve us up with their kicking and they will get through our high press too easy, just like Collingwood did.

We have to get back into hard, tough uncompromised aggression at the ball and the ball carrier and start making teams hurt or earn their possessions because at the moment, I don't think their is a side who fears playing us.

Just want to talk about Curnow for a minute. I'm not actually sure he's a very high IQ forward, and I think a lot of what he does is off the back of athletic gifts. Which is fine until you play a solid and organised backline - which happens in the finals.

I noticed it at the Gabba in the finals series. He would frequently be 65m off the ball with his hand up looking for an over the top kick. That's just daft, but he did it regularly. Also, inside 50 I don't think he quite understands how to find pockets of space or has solid leading patterns. Other forwardlines you see guys utilising blocks, taking guys to dangerous areas and repeat leads and things like that. Charlie pretty much stands at the top of the goal square and waits or has one lead directly to the ball carrier and that's it.

Patterns wise, he's fairly easy to play against - it's his athleticism that makes him dangerous. This can be effective against less athletic defenders who panic and grab him when he gets a step or launches to the ball, but against the best defenders they won't do that, or if they do they know how to do it craftily enough to get away with it.

I mentioned in a pre game thread 2 or 3 weeks ago that why is it he very rarely takes an easy uncontested mark inside 50. He rarely finds space and is always contesting 2v1. Imo it's because he isn't a very high IQ forward in terms of leading and space finding. With that said, he's still one of the best - which just goes to show how prominent his gifts are. But that isn't going to work alone in the biggest of games and we've seen that now several times.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also give him a small caveat - some of his delivery is shocking. The amount of times he has to stop on a lead because the balls kicked on his head and suddenly has 2 defenders flying into his back is brutal. So that is part of it, but not the whole story. Imagine him receiving some of the kicks he gives his mates - he'd kick 6 every week.

What I'd like to see from him this week is simple - just get on the move inside 50. I don't want to see him in the goal square with his hand in the air waiting for a bomb. Even if he is leading into trash and is no chance to get the ball, just move - constantly - don't call for then sit in packs getting belted.

Have Harry be the beacon in the goalsquare and have Charlie floating around moving, leading, drifting into pockets. Don't give him strict instruction and clog up the mind, just tell him to always be moving. Perhaps it's overly simple instruction, but sometimes simple is best and right now I think that's what he needs.

Don't want to hear we have two days extra rest as a factor in us having an upper hand. Have a feeling we'll be overly defensive to try contain the game and maintain a top 8 position and the Hawks will see a chance to make top 8 and will take risks, run, run, run.

Please Voss, let them take risks and play on some instinct and chaos.

OUT: Cottrell, Cerra, Owies, Boyd (all inj/soreness), Pittonet (form)
IN: Wilson, Williams, Fantasia, Mirkov, Cowan

Sub: Fantasia
Having gone back over the VFL game and thought about it a bit more, happy to have Carroll come in if Williams isn't right to go, with Cincotta going forward to replace the role we should have been expecting of Cottrell. Carroll was sharp inside and outside of the contest, and ran out the game fairly well but was getting wrestled out of doing more in terms of first possession at stoppages.

Binns still looks too slow and barely hits any passes over 25m despite running all day, while Lord is a shade slow still despite being a very good disposer of the footy.

Having gone back over the VFL game and thought about it a bit more, happy to have Carroll come in if Williams isn't right to go, with Cincotta going forward to replace the role we should have been expecting of Cottrell. Carroll was sharp inside and outside of the contest, and ran out the game fairly well but was getting wrestled out of doing more in terms of first possession at stoppages.

Binns still looks too slow and barely hits any passes over 25m despite running all day, while Lord is a shade slow still despite being a very good disposer of the footy.
Good disposer of the footy better than fast with bad disposal.

As soon as Voss took away the easy 2 on ones against Charlie and HArry the team was able to come back from a 35 point deficit to shoulda won the match after the siren. Maybe the fix is as simple as paying Harry and Charlie further away from goals and opening up the forward line to some space - when the opposition has feasted on the fact that Carlton is short of a third tall up forward and a second tall down back.

I like the idea of a space in the forward line and a couple of blokes like charlie and Harry forcing defenders to be accountable by running them around instead of sitting in the goal mouth like statues and copping a double and triple team hacking every time the team is going forward.

The team has to get over its self-imposed idea that you can not play aggressive confident football until you have to roll the dice - how much of that is coaching and how much is just poor on field leadership I dont know.

What I do know is that teh difference between looking the goods and looking shyte is putting some score board pressure on opposition - and that has been the missing ingredient and difference in teh last few weeks versus previous games.

It is an easy fix imo.
I always have time for your views, JAB. I hope you’ve had a chance to read the Peter Ryan article in today’s Age. You are both singing from the same song sheet 👍

Just want to talk about Curnow for a minute. I'm not actually sure he's a very high IQ forward, and I think a lot of what he does is off the back of athletic gifts. Which is fine until you play a solid and organised backline - which happens in the finals.

I noticed it at the Gabba in the finals series. He would frequently be 65m off the ball with his hand up looking for an over the top kick. That's just daft, but he did it regularly. Also, inside 50 I don't think he quite understands how to find pockets of space or has solid leading patterns. Other forwardlines you see guys utilising blocks, taking guys to dangerous areas and repeat leads and things like that. Charlie pretty much stands at the top of the goal square and waits or has one lead directly to the ball carrier and that's it.

Patterns wise, he's fairly easy to play against - it's his athleticism that makes him dangerous. This can be effective against less athletic defenders who panic and grab him when he gets a step or launches to the ball, but against the best defenders they won't do that, or if they do they know how to do it craftily enough to get away with it.

I mentioned in a pre game thread 2 or 3 weeks ago that why is it he very rarely takes an easy uncontested mark inside 50. He rarely finds space and is always contesting 2v1. Imo it's because he isn't a very high IQ forward in terms of leading and space finding. With that said, he's still one of the best - which just goes to show how prominent his gifts are. But that isn't going to work alone in the biggest of games and we've seen that now several times.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also give him a small caveat - some of his delivery is shocking. The amount of times he has to stop on a lead because the balls kicked on his head and suddenly has 2 defenders flying into his back is brutal. So that is part of it, but not the whole story. Imagine him receiving some of the kicks he gives his mates - he'd kick 6 every week.

What I'd like to see from him this week is simple - just get on the move inside 50. I don't want to see him in the goal square with his hand in the air waiting for a bomb. Even if he is leading into trash and is no chance to get the ball, just move - constantly - don't call for then sit in packs getting belted.

Have Harry be the beacon in the goalsquare and have Charlie floating around moving, leading, drifting into pockets. Don't give him strict instruction and clog up the mind, just tell him to always be moving. Perhaps it's overly simple instruction, but sometimes simple is best and right now I think that's what he needs.

I think where we struggle most is the half forward line and retaining the ball 50-80m from goal and if we can have Charlie, Zac Williams and Elijah the ones who get the ball in that area then they can be the ones who kick to leads from Harry, Martin and Owies (and a resting Kennedy or Cripps) with Motlop and Fogarty crumbing.

A three pronged attack of Harry, Martin and Owies could be potent - and the foot skills of Charlie, Zac and Elijah could be best used in feeding them. Some of the goal assists from these three have been sublime this season and we need more of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Doubt Wilson comes in after missing a month of footy and on the back of his game on the weekend

Needs more time, not even close to selection

I may have 2 available. All depends if my wife can swap days with the monster truck tickets we have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back