Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 Changes

IMG_0952.jpeg
MILESTONE: Nic Newman 100 Carlton Games

IMG_0953.jpeg

You're right, nobody (almost nobody) changes their minds, on all sides of a discussion. I wish more would, and I wish more would concede where they misread a situation.

I change my mind all the time. Very happy to be proven wrong. Certain posters opinions and comments I listen to more than others given their balance

Then again maybe I don’t? 🤔

You can shuffle the deck chairs all you want...no 2 changes are going to change anything...it's all mental with this group... just bring the heat...if we don't the Hawks stoppage game and pace will kill us

You're right. It is mostly about attitude, not selection.

The one exception is when it comes to the ruck position. I would like to see a ruck option who will lead down the wings and take marks. Not sure if Mirkov would be any good in that role, but Lemmey or Young might be.

I'm prepared to lose more ruck taps and force our midfielders to work, if it means that whoever we have in there can be more of an extra midfielder than Pittonet. Of course, Pitto might find form, but we do tend to stick with non-performers for a long time before we lose heart.

We just can't afford to have another ruck game like last week, regardless of whether people thought he did well in that last quarter burst.

He (Kemp) gives away height to the KPFs and isn’t agile enough for the mid-sized guys like WHE. Each week he’s the one the opposition try to play through. It’s a shame because if we didn’t have a lack of viable defensive options, I think we would throw him forward where I believe he’d be much better. His natural game is to fly for the mark, not spoil. Screams forward to me.

I think Kemp has a good enough leap that he can spoil his opponent a lot, but he does need to start from behind to do it. This is where forward lines will block him or jostle him as he goes into a marking contest from behind, so his opponent has easy access to the ball. On these occasions, Weitering and/or McGovern are just concentrating on keeping their man out of the contest, rather than going up. This is what team defence should be doing. Kill the contest, whether it's your man or not.

The one exception is when it comes to the ruck position. I would like to see a ruck option who will lead down the wings and take marks. Not sure if Mirkov would be any good in that role, but Lemmey or Young might be.

I'm prepared to lose more ruck taps and force our midfielders to work, if it means that whoever we have in there can be more of an extra midfielder than Pittonet. Of course, Pitto might find form, but we do tend to stick with non-performers for a long time before we lose heart.

We just can't afford to have another ruck game like last week, regardless of whether people thought he did well in that last quarter burst.
I think it's important to also recognise the attitude of the coaches and trainers as well with their approaches, and maybe giving a nod to the up and down nature of the weather in Melbourne over this winter stretch.

I don't live too far away from Princes Park and it tends to throw you around a little bit going from 15-18 degree days to say 10-11, and then it can dip to 2-4 overnight regardless. Messes with you when things can fluctuate that much.

There's been several covid and flu strains flying around too, but the impact of that tends to be across the entire competition over a span of weeks, and comes down to vaccination adherence, related team rules and individual caution.

We keep falling back on a taxing style with weird role experimentation with some players, with still too many chalk-boned senior options, so it's like we're blunting an already blunted knife and calling that an advantage because everyone is expecting a sharp knife to be used.

This is the time of year where the impact of winter and 15+ games is catching up on the players, and we just keep needlessly making it harder for ourselves when there still is squad depth.

He (Kemp) gives away height to the KPFs and isn’t agile enough for the mid-sized guys like WHE. Each week he’s the one the opposition try to play through. It’s a shame because if we didn’t have a lack of viable defensive options, I think we would throw him forward where I believe he’d be much better. His natural game is to fly for the mark, not spoil. Screams forward to me.

I agree, forward seems a more likely fit for his characteristics.

I think he is a liability defensively and this mid/wing thing is stuff of unicorns

I watch Pommy's selection table on youtube each week, and there are some conservative and some wildly speculative selections. All of those blokes are very good at their analysis, and they know the reality that the club won't take any left of centre selections, but they explain their selections very well, and while I may not always agree, I appreciate that they are willing to try something to change the fortunes of a misfiring team.

None of us are selectors in real life. None of us can claim to have a clue over others, unless those decisions have been tried and failed.

You're right, nobody (almost nobody) changes their minds, on all sides of a discussion. I wish more would, and I wish more would concede where they misread a situation.

I think a large portion of people change their minds and or views constantly

I think a large portion of people change their minds and or views constantly

Which is a good thing if they do.

As an exercise though, do you change your mind on whether a player is good or not, or on the coaching? Some are quite rigid.

This is why I encourage differing opinions, because sooner or later, some of those opinions bear fruit.

Which is a good thing if they do.

As an exercise though, do you change your mind on whether a player is good or not, or on the coaching? Some are quite rigid.

This is why I encourage differing opinions, because sooner or later, some of those opinions bear fruit.

I think there are 2 types in life, in this case footy

Type 1, Player X is a lock and was so from round 1 or VFL player Y should be in the side and was so since round 1

Type 2, changing opinion on players/coaches/gameplan, etc, back and forth, numerous times, due to a small sample size ( win = good, lose = bad)

I think there are 2 types in life, in this case footy

Type 1, Player X is a lock and was so from round 1 or VFL player Y should be in the side and was so since round 1

Type 2, changing opinion on players/coaches/gameplan, etc, back and forth, numerous times, due to a small sample size ( win = good, lose = bad)

Yeah, but there are those opinions where a player is dropped, and the opinion is that they need to learn xyz, then a week later they are recalled and supposedly those lessons were learned. In those cases, I feel like an error may have been made, or the selectors are just trying something, but those who didn't think that player should have been dropped have every right to feel vindicated, but those who did think they deserve to be dropped can also feel vindicated.

Sample sizes are in the eye of the beholder. How much good form should a player have to get a call up? How much bad form should a player have to get dropped? It's all quite subjective. Some might call it early and end up right, but without any real analysis to it. Some players might take 10 games to get a call up, but those that were advocating they wait can't lose that argument, because they can claim that player needed that 10 games to get to that stage.

All narratives can be manipulated to suit an opinion.

Anyone of my vintage will remember the 80’s
2 teams dominated ( with a cameo from *) us and the Hawks.
This is our biggest game against them in about 35 years.
It’s gonna be huge, we must win.
Who’s our Dominator to take out Tuck? Rhys to take on Dermie?
I can feel the rivalry rekindling, bring it on

Yeah, but there are those opinions where a player is dropped, and the opinion is that they need to learn xyz, then a week later they are recalled and supposedly those lessons were learned.
Might need to learn or work on a certain aspect, or may not be an appropriate match up

In those cases, I feel like an error may have been made, or the selectors are just trying something, but those who didn't think that player should have been dropped have every right to feel vindicated, but those who did think they deserve to be dropped can also feel vindicated.
If by selectors, you mean supporters, people see the game differently, hence might see a player's strengths and weaknesses differently

Sample sizes are in the eye of the beholder. How much good form should a player have to get a call up? How much bad form should a player have to get dropped? It's all quite subjective.
Some players have credits, some don't and it's not always about gameday form

Some might call it early and end up right, but without any real analysis to it. Some players might take 10 games to get a call up, but those that were advocating they wait can't lose that argument, because they can claim that player needed that 10 games to get to that stage.
If called early, I'd be interested in the reasoning, but that would still be the opinion of a casual observer

Absolutely, and I do like/prefer a staunch view

I believe cognitive bias plays a massive role as well as brow beating by the masses

It’s going to be an interesting game. I hope we bring a workman like intensity and effort for four quarters with uncompromising tackling and pressure and we can win this. Will we bring the consistent pressure though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With regards to Pitto, I feel he needs to be read the riot act. He is 28 and should be at the peak of his powers as a ruckman. He has never been a marking ruckman around the ground and I'm not too sure why, whether he can't read the play or we just don't kick to him.

His 1 wood is his strength, so he has to be that bustling type of ruck to nullify the opposition ruck and create passage and clearance for our mids as well as bruising up a few of the opposition mids.

He has played some good games this year, but this is his moment to shine while TDK is out, time for him to become a leader and not just a pawn in this side.

Yeah, but there are those opinions where a player is dropped, and the opinion is that they need to learn xyz, then a week later they are recalled and supposedly those lessons were learned. In those cases, I feel like an error may have been made, or the selectors are just trying something, but those who didn't think that player should have been dropped have every right to feel vindicated, but those who did think they deserve to be dropped can also feel vindicated.

Sample sizes are in the eye of the beholder. How much good form should a player have to get a call up? How much bad form should a player have to get dropped? It's all quite subjective. Some might call it early and end up right, but without any real analysis to it. Some players might take 10 games to get a call up, but those that were advocating they wait can't lose that argument, because they can claim that player needed that 10 games to get to that stage.

Agree

What amazes me is that people can judge others and tell you what they think or how they assess things based on a few words on the internet

I actually find many people here will discuss and debate fairly. These are who I engage with. Anyone with personal agendas over football I just ignore

Im excited that Williams could come in. He and Martin can have small stints in the middle. I want Martin to lay a few hard tackles to show presences in the middle. Our pressure game has been a dogs breakfast as of late.

I’m a fan of both but their injuries frustrate the crap out of me. Fingers crossed they now get some consistency coming into finals

So ... can we pull a Rabbit out of the hat and beat Hawthorn?
Lose and we're out of the 8 ... relying on beating Eagles and Saints to sneak back in to make up the numbers.

What a difference ... Top 2 and a flag contender to scraping into the 8 if we get lucky?
We never know what we are going to get with the Blues .... not predictable .. as in ... can't count on a win.
Keeps us hanging on the edge of our seats. Will we be part of the action in September??

Would it be a bit far fetch(specially since he’s only possibly back from a hamstring) to give Williams few minute stints through the middle at times?

IMO where not frequently enough rotating quicker players through there.
Need to up this aspect, a bit of a different look/tonic to it.

Rotate fog/mots/lij/cinc maybe Williams and Cowan if he plays ect
You mean the guy we brought in as a free agent to play midfield? Blasphemy.

I really want Lij to still take the game on because he's such a difference maker, but I hope he is a bit more careful when he pulls the trigger, starting to turn it over quite a bit in the corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back