Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)

Last edited:
Can you shed any light on this yet?
It has already been discussed in here (someone else also knew it as well and brought it up, while I hadn't mentioned it publicly). Cummings and Peatling's significant others are bffs. One of the main points of why it's hard to get players to Adelaide (that don't have a connection here) is trying to convince their other halves to come here. I suspect that's why Sloane went to chat with him, about life here for his significant other.

It’s the abc remember, the only reason Tony Armstrong got a gig on there is because he’s aboriginal!
Got to have inclusivity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What a disgusting statement. Tony Armstrong is absolutely brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he went and did a bunch of ad voice-overs, without consulting them first. The ABC have rules about doing things like that, which he broke.

He's still one of their best on-air talents, but they're not happy with him at present because of his extra-curricular activities.

Accepting $$ for ads is a big no no as far as the ABC are concerned.
I've just read about it. I noted this:

The ABC’s editorial guidelines do not outright ban staff from doing commercial work but it asks them to “quantify the risk” of doing so. Sounds like a mountain made out of a molehill to me.

Lucky for him he's not working for the ABC as of Friday.
He’s hosting a new show on the ABC next year, apparently, so fair to assume he’s still under contract there

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Fox or 7 has a crack at him - maybe a similar situation to Sam Pang (does shows on both 7/10)

Accepting $$ for ads is a big no no as far as the ABC are concerned.
I'm surprised he hasn't moved on to bigger and better ($$$) things than the ABC. He could make a fair amount more working for the commercial networks.

Seriously would you rather bet on Oliver to turn it around in a new environment fueled by the desire to prove the Demons and Melbourne media wrong or would you bet on the AFC to properly develop a kid? I know where my money would be.

I reckon given his salary and rumours Melb happy to let him go we wouldn't give up 4 for him so let's go get him.

Gotta be bold enough to bet on ourselves to be able to turn around a player. Stengle left and Geelong took the risk for great reward. Our turn.
Geelong wasn't risking the $$, the list profile, the length of contract or the direction of a hard earned rebuild. They simply placed a cheap bet... and they won. Lucky I'd say. They'd probably disagree but it's a moot point now.

No so for us taking on Oliver. Much, much greater risk. Too much to lose IMO.

He’s hosting a new show on the ABC next year, apparently, so fair to assume he’s still under contract there

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Fox or 7 has a crack at him - maybe a similar situation to Sam Pang (does shows on both 7/10)
Not according to ABC itself (Media Watch)
“We asked the ABC if it knew about Tony’s side gig and if he got the green light to do it.

“Astonishingly, he did not. A misunderstanding?

“How any ABC reporter can voice a commercial for one of the biggest brands in Australia and not think that is a conflict is beyond us.”

Perrett said the ABC appeared keen to suggest Armstrong had done nothing wrong.

“Tony Armstrong did not respond to our request for a comment but with his ABC contract up this Friday, maybe it’s the start of his commercial TV or advertising career,” she said.

“But it’s a shame this moonlighting at the expense of the ABC’s integrity is what we’re talking about in his final week on the News Breakfast couch.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back