Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)

Last edited:
Every Essendon fan I know absolutely love him. I honestly don’t know how people have formed that impression of him, maybe because injury has halted his trajectory. Who knows, He might never fulfill his potential, but that potential is certainly there in spades.
I fell like every time I see him he is competing and making himself a problem for the opposition.

Not sure what he does so badly - worse than ROB?

Just because they are considered even now doesn’t mean their careers will end up being even. I’m no fan of Hamish, but if we went with what you’re saying we wouldn’t even need talent evaluators, just take the 4th rated mid when our turn comes.

There is every chance we rate 1 or 2 of these kids much higher than the rest and so moving up makes total sense. Don’t forget Dangerfield and Ebert where rated very similarly before the draft.
There is also every chance we rate 4 or 5 players roughly the same, to the point where there's no value in us paying to go up the board to get a player not much better than what would be available at our pick. And the consensus seems to be that a lot of clubs feel that way.

Gettable boys raised an interesting point on Richmond. And whether they are really going to bring in potentially 7 or even 8 rookies and no senior players. Seems like a recipe for a 0 win season, despite how good this draft crop looks.

Made me think of guys like Laird, Milera, Smith and even Crouch. It seems obvious that Laird and Crouch won't play their preferred positions as much as they want anymore. And Milera and Smith will be lucky to get game's in 2025 IMO.

However, given the Tigers outs, all 4 of them could likely play every game in Richmond's best 22 in 2025. Laird or Crouch could probably win their B&F.

Every Essendon fan I know absolutely love him. I honestly don’t know how people have formed that impression of him, maybe because injury has halted his trajectory. Who knows, He might never fulfill his potential, but that potential is certainly there in spades.
ROB is ordinary, and Draper's best games are better.

But his worst games are MUCH worse. I'm not trading in a guy who might be better in some games. FA target next year perhaps ?? But let's not use any trade capital on a very slight upgrade.

There is also every chance we rate 4 or 5 players roughly the same, to the point where there's no value in us paying to go up the board to get a player not much better than what would be available at our pick. And the consensus seems to be that a lot of clubs feel that way.
If that’s the case then fine we won’t trade up. I’m just saying that there’s not much point having talent evaluators if we don’t follow their recommendations.

If we trade up we will know we rate someone higher. Personally I think Lalor and Draper are quite a bit above the others so am happy to try and move up. If North are really into Tauru then it makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

ROB is ordinary, and Draper's best games are better.

But his worst games are MUCH worse. I'm not trading in a guy who might be better in some games. FA target next year perhaps ?? But let's not use any trade capital on a very slight upgrade.
I totally agree that the current version of Draper is too flaky, I’m purely talking about his potential ceiling. After all that’s what we’ve done with Keays and Hinge.

Gotta laugh at people saying Draper is worse than ROB.

He is a VAST improvement. ROB is our biggest liability.

Do people forget how bad he was this season? He cant mark the footy, he cant kick the footy (not that Draper is a good kick), he cant even be a link in the chain. Most importantly he cant even compete in the air, gets out-marked almost every contest. Even his competitiveness on the ground has dropped away significantly.

Do people forget how bad he was this season? He cant mark the footy, he cant kick the footy (not that Draper is a good kick), he cant even be a link in the chain. Most importantly he cant even compete in the air, gets out-marked almost every contest.
ROB played better late in the season after being dropped, but I agree he was terrible for most of the season.
The Bulldogs game in particular I thought he was good and the team looked so much better as a result. We should have traded in a young ruck years ago to compete with him rather than sit on our hands with Strachan as purely a backup. He was never going to compete for a spot with ROB.

They were talking about players not upgrading their contracts when changing clubs and taking their current contracts with them. Of course straight to ANB only having 2 years and now he gets 4 at Adelaide. The crows live rent free in that head of his. He knows we got a steal with ANB
ok thanks mate and yes typical from Kane

Any mention of Lukos 2 years contract term tripling or more (6/7 years)?

ROB played better late in the season after being dropped, but I agree he was terrible for most of the season.
The Bulldogs game in particular I thought he was good and the team looked so much better as a result. We should have traded in a young ruck years ago to compete with him rather than sit on our hands with Strachan as purely a backup. He was never going to compete for a spot with ROB.

He had 2 moderately good games all season.
He tries, and is a lovely bloke, but hes just nowhere near the standard we need.

He touches the ball first a lot, but none of the hitouts are meaningful, cant really hit it to space or do anything as far as set plays goes.

Watch Drapers hitouts at the end of games (even the one against us which we won), his tap near the end of the game gave Essendon a chance to win it. He has the ability to hit it to a spot.
Hes far from perfect, but he does pretty much everything better than ROB.

Id take 10 less hitouts a game for someone who can compete in the air, clunk a mark and be involved in ball movement chains.

Gettable boys raised an interesting point on Richmond. And whether they are really going to bring in potentially 7 or even 8 rookies and no senior players. Seems like a recipe for a 0 win season, despite how good this draft crop looks.

Made me think of guys like Laird, Milera, Smith and even Crouch. It seems obvious that Laird and Crouch won't play their preferred positions as much as they want anymore. And Milera and Smith will be lucky to get game's in 2025 IMO.

However, given the Tigers outs, all 4 of them could likely play every game in Richmond's best 22 in 2025. Laird or Crouch could probably win their B&F.

If all their players are fit in 2025, they'll field a similar team to 2024 except all the young players will be first round picks in a super draft instead of duds.

They'll still have Vlastuin, Prestia, Lynch, Short, Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper, Broad and Balta. Nearly half the side is 100 gamers if they're fit.

The biggest issue will be the lack of decent forwards and defenders

I reckon they could target a few DFAs and SSP picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luko will help them but its their picks they will get in this draft that worry me more as if they end up with a good 1st and some good early 2nds they will get 3 good players in on top of luko and richards who will both make their forward half stronger going forward. I want that club to fail

Pull yourself together man!

You haven't even mentioned the 2x AA player they lose. Draft picks are unknowns.

Richards is a 25 yo who has played 9 games, who will ne traded for peanuts.

If all their players are fit in 2025, they'll field a similar team to 2024 except all the young players will be first round picks in a super draft instead of duds.

They'll still have Vlastuin, Prestia, Lynch, Short, Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper, Broad and Balta. Nearly half the side is 100 gamers if they're fit.

No Dylan Grimes (C), Dusty, Liam Baker, Rioli, Shai Bolton, Graham, and Pickett .....so I think believing it's a similar team is a stretch

And that's not factoring in injuries, with next to no quality depth .....because of Tassie, they'll orchestrate being bottom

The biggest issue will be the lack of decent forwards and defenders

Shai Bolton, Dusty, Rioli and Baker is a massive loss to a side that already finished last. They would be odds on to get the spoon again which is why having a crack at their F1 would potentially worth the risk this year. Gun SA boy rated at pick one next year, Port out of the picture, planets might align.

Do people forget how bad he was this season? He cant mark the footy, he cant kick the footy (not that Draper is a good kick), he cant even be a link in the chain. Most importantly he cant even compete in the air, gets out-marked almost every contest. Even his competitiveness on the ground has dropped away significantly.
Draper is arguably a worse kick than ROB. His second efforts are nowhere near as good, and Rob has him covered for hit outs to advantage. It’s really odd, because the multiple bombers fans I know can’t stand him. Either way. he doesn’t make us better.

No Dylan Grimes (C), Dusty, Liam Baker, Rioli, Shai Bolton, Graham, and Pickett .....so I think believing it's a similar team is a stretch

And that's not factoring in injuries, with next to no quality depth .....because of Tassie, they'll orchestrate being bottom

I'm saying that because half their team was injured all year so they were already forced to play a bunch of young players and still won 2 games.

The amount of experience they field will be similar to 2024 if they have a good injury run

Martin, Grimes, Graham and Pickett combined for just 44 games in 2024

Shai Bolton, Dusty, Rioli and Baker is a massive loss to a side that already finished last. They would be odds on to get the spoon again which is why having a crack at their F1 would potentially worth the risk this year. Gun SA boy rated at pick one next year, Port out of the picture, planets might align.
They'll finish last so there is no way they trade their future 1st

Draper is arguably a worse kick than ROB. His second efforts are nowhere near as good, and Rob has him covered for hit outs to advantage. It’s really odd, because the multiple bombers fans I know can’t stand him. Either way. he doesn’t make us better.
You need to allow for no pre-season this year .....his marking has improved leaps & bounds, as has his ruck work

He just wasn't fit

His biggest issue, as an ex soccer player is, he tries to do the Maradona solo efforts too often ....doesn't use his midfielders often enough ....but he's definitely improving

I'm saying that because half their team was injured all year so they were already forced to play a bunch of young players and still won 2 games.

The amount of experience they field will be similar to 2024 if they have a good injury run
All the players you named are injury prone ....Hopper, Lynch, and Prestia, struggle to string games together

Without experience around these draftee's .....you could see their development (confidence) being negatively impacted ......there's no guarantee, RICH hold these draftee's if they get this wrong

Cant argue with you over the kick, although at least draper can get it to his foot in less than 5.42 seconds, unlike ROB.

Ned McHenry in a clown costume at ruck position makes us better. ROB is a dead set liability.

Hitouts to advantage is a flawed stat, not to mention that ROB didn't share ruck duties at all. As I've said before go back and look at Drapers ruck work. its far superior and gives their midfield more opportunities than what we get.

He's not even Essendon's best ruck - rated 11th most efficient ruck for 2024, but Goldstein was ranked 8th. For what it's worth ROB was ranked 5th.

Stats dont tell the story, lets be honest.
We all know ROB had a garbage season and 5th best ruck is flattering to say the least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back