Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Last edited:
I'm happy if they can squeeze Dawson out to the wing. Massive upgrade on Sholl and allows Daws to follow the play with an attacking outlook rather than needing to defend an oppo mid fielder.
I think Dawson will eventually transition back into defence for the back part of his career. Can see him becoming our Tom Stewart type defender that controls play in defence. I'm sure he will still go in the middle, but can see him playing more in other positions the more the younger kids come on.

Current coaching structure and changes:

Matthew Nicks - Senior Coach
Murray Davis - Coaching Director (New)
Scott Burns – Forwards and Senior Assistant Coach
Nathan van Berlo – Midfield Coach
Jack Hombsch – Backs Coach

Matthew Wright – Development Coach -> SANFL Senior Coach
Michael Godden – SANFL and Coach Development -> Player and Coach Development
Marco Bello – Head of Development
Chelsea Randall – Development Coach
Andrew McPherson – Development Coach
Godden must have some people skills the way he can seemingly consistently find himself getting promoted up despite getting the ass when he was an ineffectual assistant coach.

So the addition of a Coaching Director, with Godden now running player development, and no other changes in the football department.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Soligo, Dangerfield over Ebert... the list goes on. Bed wetters even when we chose CC in the ROOKIE draft with people complaining 'never heard of him' despite him ultimately becoming an inspired rookie pick that ultimately gave us Fog

But you need to take into account the actual number of posters making that noise. I recall a huge hullabaloo with Doedee over Burton, but when you looked closer, it was Marty and Cleric posting over and over and over again, filling pages with anti-Dood sentiment. I doubt many posters had negative views, although, I think with Danger there would have been more reservations posted, given the rare event that came with him where he wasn't coming over to play in his first year.

Davis will work closely with all of Adelaide’s coaches but in particular assistants Scott Burns (forwards), Nathan van Berlo (midfield) and Jack Hombsch (defence).

Interesting role. Still slightly unsure of the parameters but we will see how it works
Senior assistant coach without demoting Burns?

Berry isn't any good.
Pedlar is a half forward who mostly played SANFL this year.
Curtin I think starts as a wing/half forward.

Taylor is probably the one at risk of losing midfield time, especially if the bozos in the coaches box put Laird back in the mids.
Berry is a decent AFL player, his fumbles are a bit over-amplified on here. Elite tacklers also have value at AFL level. Had a good 2nd half of the season, especially the Essendon win. However, Peatling is an upgrade and therefore still not sure why we didn’t let Berry move to a club that had interest (e.g. Collingwood). He’s too good to just be a fringe player here, which I can’t see changing if we get Peatling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George Kramer you went prematurely yet again .....and proven wrong .....just hold off in future until the role is actually outlined, not what you think it is

The role is as I and others anticipated .....to take some workload off Nicks

Davis will work closely with all of Adelaide’s coaches but in particular assistants Scott Burns (forwards), Nathan van Berlo (midfield) and Jack Hombsch (defence).

Crows Executive General Manager Football Adam Kelly said the role of Senior Coach is increasingly demanding and the Club wanted to provide Matthew Nicks with the best possible structure and support in 2025.

“Over the past couple of months, we have been evaluating and exploring ways in which we can finetune our coaching structure and been searching for someone to complement the strengths of Matthew and his assistants,” Kelly said

This looking at the demands on Nicks, is a very similar outcome to the review outcome from GEEL on Bomber Thompson ......I'm assuming this was also one of our review outcomes

jenny61_99 was the news you heard about Murray Davis, or is there still another announcement coming?
I heard senior assistant coach from one of the two GF teams (I assumed Dew wrongly). AND a Director of coaching (but no idea who or where from). Having just read the above info, not sure now. While my "source" had good information (in terms of timing of announcement, and the interest in Peatling) I'm not convinced they had the details nailed! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So the addition of a Coaching Director, with Godden now running player development, and no other changes in the football department.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
Hmm so it seems those defending our new appointment and exciting new off-field developments have gone a bit quiet.

And effectively our new coaching director is there to hold our assistants hands so who is going to stop Nicks from going rogue bonkers again?

Hmm so it seems those defending our new appointment and exciting new off-field developments have gone a bit quiet.

And effectively our new coaching director is there to hold our assistants hands so who is going to stop Nicks from going rogue bonkers again?
If this is the one and only change we make to our coaching structure, it is indeed disappointing.

Its a good appointment, but theres needs to be more.

Ideally

Pick 25 - Peatling
Pick 42 + F3 - ANB

Hope that the contract for Himmelberg to GC nets us band 5 compo and we can flip that into next year for a F3...fingers crossed
There’s no compo for Himmelberg. We’re gaining Cumming as a FA, so can’t get any compensation for Berg.

Hmm this reads as though the structure of our coaching line up is now complete for next year. Which would mean no Montgomery to be added... hopefully I'm wrong but not going to hold out much hope now.

Good:

• Davis comes to the club in a role that is befitting of his experience
  • Davis has premiership club experience, which is extremely valuable to us because we lack that, and he's in a position to assist our other coaches who lack premiership experience

Bad:

• Made up a role for Davis because we didn't want to demote Burns from senior assistant and hurt his feelings, even though his role description is that of a "senior assistant"
  • Creating a "Coaching Director" position for someone whose role isn't to direct the entire coaching department means we now won't hire someone who will do that. The hope of getting two new roles (coaching director and a senior assistant) is dashed and now seems to be just the one hire.
  • Still no person at the club above Nicks with football experience to provide oversight
  • Godden somehow gets promoted and demoted at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back