Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok that’s fair enough and I don’t really feel strongly enough about “elite” vs “very good” after this post.

I was just basing it on the fact he has averaged 15 games per year across his career (many years with Weagles in finals) so obviously had a fair share of injuries, has NEVER been AA, normally finished 7-10th in Eagles B&F with the exception of 4th in 2020 and winning it in 2022 (7th and 9th in the last 2 years).

Just feel he has been a very good player but his best is now past him and might only have 2-3 years left in his career as 30 next year. Will definitely help Horks though - just felt they gave up quite a lot but clearly they are trying to “win now”
‘Could’ be like their Brian Lake move

Right player at the right time

**** the AFL with these bans. Huge overreaction.

Did Geelong receive bans for this?

2747fecec437390185d541461230bdf7.jpg

Tell the players to knock it off but to ban them for a joke?

Plenty of comedies have made fun of twin towers, Jimmy Carr just made a P Diddy joke. Cancel them all hey? It might be in poor taste and people might be offended. But so what? It was a private event and they were INTENDING to be funny. AFL are overstepping their power here.
That was 13 years ago, attitudes change.

OK then, what decision has Adelaide made that shows we care about this draft past pick 4.

Remember we didn't have to sign anyone up to contracts if we didn't want too. I.e. the list spot problem was self inflicted. We also didn't have to trade our 3rd to push it into 2025. We also didn't have to make a late bid on Peatling.

The thing is, if you love a draft, you find a way to stay in it. We didn't. Whether due to circumstances (and more along the lines of jobs need to be saved in 2025) or us being contrarians is the only unknown here.
As we know Hamish is a major contrarian and I could see him loading up in next years draft when others will trade out

But main reason this year to miss is just the contracting of a few players that shouldn’t have eg smith and maybe Berry who should have been traded

But I think getting Peatling was a bit of a late surprise so we were left short for list spots

We definitely needed some experienced players to help us be more consistent and it just fell in a year the draft was strong , just the way the cards fell

We prob also thought Welsh would be a top 30-40 pick so had planned on 2 picks within 40 basically inc pick 4

Plenty of comedies have made fun of twin towers, Jimmy Carr just made a P Diddy joke. Cancel them all hey? It might be in poor taste and people might be offended. But so what? It was a private event and they were INTENDING to be funny. AFL are overstepping their power here.
AFL players aren't comedians ... they just think they are.

They are employed by the AFL and are required to meet certain standards as part of that agreement.

No good crying "Woke!!!".

If he's dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and ****ed a sex doll, he's made fun of rape. And I can't see the AFL being overly impressed about that

Not an NRL fan but wasn't his last appeal successful??

So in the eyes of the law he didn't rape her.

If so the GWS player dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and his skit involved having consensual sex with the sex doll??

Did Geelong receive bans for this?

2747fecec437390185d541461230bdf7.jpg

What happened here?
No one got charged did they?
They even put her name on the jumper 😆

Not an NRL fan but wasn't his last appeal successful??

So in the eyes of the law he didn't rape her.

If so the GWS player dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and his skit involved having consensual sex with the sex doll??

So you reckon the AFL would be fine with a player making fun of a situation where a guy was acquitted of rape on appeal?

It's much of a muchness, really. There is no real practical difference between the two lists. Either Welsh goes on the main list and we move a senior player onto the rookie list, or else Welsh just goes straight onto the rookie list.
The only real difference is contract length. First year draftees on the senior list receive 2 year contracts (3 for 1st round picks), while first year rookie draftees only receive 1 year contracts.

In Welsh's context, being taken in the RD would not exactly be seen as a vote of confidence...

List management make that call not Hamish and his recruiters.
Clearly getting in proven players was number 1 strategy.
I think if we'd had two 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder in this 2024 draft and you guaranteed me those 2nd rounders would turn out to be ANB and Cumming and the 3rd rounder would turn out to be Peatling, I'd say we'd drafted extremely well. So I'm relatively happy with our strategy this year. The fact that we will get pick 4 and almost certainly Welsh as well (almost for nothing) makes this one of our better off seasons in years.

zero chance of him nominating for the MSD

if we want him we would have needed to commit to a proper rookie spot minimum if not a proper contract.
If he specifies an 18-month contract when he nominates then he'd have a longer contract than a first year player drafted in the RD. That, by any definition, is "a proper rookie spot".

If he's dressed up as Jarryd Hayne and ****ed a sex doll, he's made fun of rape. And I can't see the AFL being overly impressed about that
Is that what's happened here? In which case it's more messed up that I had supposed.

First time I've heard that... because leading up to it I'd just heard he'd dressed up like that and was carrying the doll around. Which is distasteful, but fines and suspensions are OTT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that what's happened here? In which case it's more messed up that I had supposed.

First time I've heard that... because leading up to it I'd just heard he'd dressed up like that and was carrying the doll around. Which is distasteful, but fines and suspensions are OTT.
Tbh, acts to the blow-up doll aside - dressing up as Hayne and bringing the doll is in itself making light-heartedness of SA

It is certainly what the press reports alluded too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

OK then, what decision has Adelaide made that shows we care about this draft past pick 4.

Remember we didn't have to sign anyone up to contracts if we didn't want too. I.e. the list spot problem was self inflicted. We also didn't have to trade our 3rd to push it into 2025. We also didn't have to make a late bid on Peatling.

The thing is, if you love a draft, you find a way to stay in it. We didn't. Whether due to circumstances (and more along the lines of jobs need to be saved in 2025) or us being contrarians is the only unknown here.

100% we don’t care about this draft. We need to start winning or everyone’s head will be on a pike.
Now we did indicate from very early in the year we would bring in experience players which was always going to impact our draft capital - so the choice was going to be to either split 4 or our future first, both risky and not great decisions - or use minimal spots on the draft this year
I guess not paying out a Smith or axing a Strachan indicates we wanted to hold on to relatively ready to go experience rather than a pick 64,80 etc in the draft

Its almost like its scripted and stage managed to go down to the wire or something...

Who would have thought!? :drunk:
It's almost like if these trades were done on the first two days, trade radio and footy 'journalists' would be dead in the water for the rest of the trade period and the financial interests wouldn't get their money's worth.

I don't think it's that we're uninterested in the draft. We just have a very young list so clearly targeted a bunch of middle-age players expecting to get maybe 1-2 of them. We probably surprised ourselves getting three, and we're left with very few list spots as a result.

I agree that it's a shame that we have plodders signed to contracts instead of hitting a good draft, but I don't think that was the intention when we signed them.

Pardon the intusion but are mates with a couple of the lads here on the crows board if interested I have posted it on the main board but some info on a possible round 1 fixture the afl are considering has you guys at home to Gold coast round 1. We might be playing Brisbane away round 1 😡 no info on opening round but that doesn't interest us anyway.
the point of this post is????

It's almost like if these trades were done on the first two days, trade radio and footy 'journalists' would be dead in the water for the rest of the trade period and the financial interests wouldn't get their money's worth.
I wonder about this. As someone who is more invested in this stuff than the average supporter, you couldn't pay me to listen to trade radio during most of the trade period, but I sure as hell tuned in on the final day when all the action happens.

If they made it, say, 3 days, it would be all action all the time, must-watch viewing. Wouldn't that be worth more to them than 8 straight days of nothing happening other than adverts for Continental Tyres every five minutes?

As we know Hamish is a major contrarian and I could see him loading up in next years draft when others will trade out

But main reason this year to miss is just the contracting of a few players that shouldn’t have eg smith and maybe Berry who should have been traded

But I think getting Peatling was a bit of a late surprise so we were left short for list spots

We definitely needed some experienced players to help us be more consistent and it just fell in a year the draft was strong , just the way the cards fell

We prob also thought Welsh would be a top 30-40 pick so had planned on 2 picks within 40 basically inc pick 4
I think we would have made room if we really rated this year's draft. Berry and Bond as uncontracted players probably get moved on.

100% we don’t care about this draft. We need to start winning or everyone’s head will be on a pike.
Now we did indicate from very early in the year we would bring in experience players which was always going to impact our draft capital - so the choice was going to be to either split 4 or our future first, both risky and not great decisions - or use minimal spots on the draft this year
I guess not paying out a Smith or axing a Strachan indicates we wanted to hold on to relatively ready to go experience rather than a pick 64,80 etc in the draft

Big difference between "care" and "rate", of course Hamish and his crew would rate this draft highly but it's obvious from what Silvers has been spouting for 12 months our priority was going to be proven quality talent.

Still disapointing we didn't open up a couple more list spots looking at the long term future as well.

Pardon the intusion but are mates with a couple of the lads here on the crows board if interested I have posted it on the main board but some info on a possible round 1 fixture the afl are considering has you guys at home to Gold coast round 1. We might be playing Brisbane away round 1 😡 no info on opening round but that doesn't interest us anyway.
Port kissed on the dick again, playing the Lions in R1 even if away is a great time to play them. I mean even Carlton rolled them away in R0 at the GABBA.

They will be celebrating their flag for many months before focusing on 2025 and preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back