List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope a better forward line would see Owens etc play more midfield.

Owens can only play more midfield time IF he actually becomes a very good mid, and the jury is out on that.

The problem with our midfield at present is that it lacks star mids. We will go nowhere unless we can assemble more quality in our midfield. The jury is still out on whether Pou or Owens can become such mids. Owens has been playing even less time there that the coaches gave Pou.

This year Owens will have not have been playing more midfield time as our coaches clearly do nor rate him as a mid at the moment. I say that as our midfield group has been poor, and so if Owens was a solution to it now, then he would already have been playing more time as a mid this year.

We have been playing a glut of third tall forwards in Owens, Pou, Sharman and Membery. Maybe Hayes too, and so I am pretty sure if the coaches thought Owens was ready to play midfield this year that he would have had a lot more time than his limited time there apart from being a chop out ruck at times.

Last edited:
Clubs can trade a free agent instead of using the free agent mechanism, in order to not dilute compensation. It happened a few years ago. I want to say Richmond were involved but I just can’t remember the player.

Jeremy Cameron to Geelong.

Owens can only play more midfield time IF he actually becomes a very good mid, and the jury is out on that.

The problem with our midfield at present is that it lacks star mids. We will go nowhere unless we can assemble more quality in our midfield. The jury is still out on whether Pou or Owens can become such mids. Owens has been playing even less time there that the coaches gave Pou.

This year Owens will have not have been playing more midfield time as our coaches clearly do nor rate him as a mid at the moment. I saw that as our midfield group has been poor, and so if Owens was a solution to it now, then he would already have been playing more time as a mid this year.

We have been playing a glut of third tall forwards in Owens, Pou, Sharman and Membery. Maybe Hayes too, and so I am pretty sure if the coaches thought Owens was ready to play midfield this year that he would have had a lot more time than his limited time there apart from being a chop out ruck at times.
Owens' midfield craft is below par, which is why no matter how many injuries we get there, we won't see him moved from the fwd line

This is a project for the off-season, where Owens will need to spend an entire pre-season training as a full time mid to be up to the required standard. Its not something we can pursue mid-season without sufficient preparation. Hopefully next year we'll see it happen

This year Owens will have not have been playing more midfield time as our coaches clearly do nor rate him as a mid at the moment. I saw that as our midfield group has been poor, and so if Owens was a solution to it now, then he would already have been playing more time as a mid this year.

Owens is in the forward half as he is not a midfielder. I would like to see him in the backline though.

Owens' midfield craft is below par, which is why no matter how many injuries we get there, we won't see him moved from the fwd line

This is a project for the off-season, where Owens will need to spend an entire pre-season training as a full time mid to be up to the required standard. Its not something we can pursue mid-season without sufficient preparation. Hopefully next year we'll see it happen

It still may not happen even if he trains there all preseason. Guns mids are rare for the very good reason that most players simply do not have the innate qualities to be a gun mid.

Take Sincs, quality player and goes ok in the midfield, but he just is not a gun mid. At HB in space he is elite.

Which seems the opposite from what people say where he's a loyal guy who loves it at Moorabin. I reckon it's the life changing money that's more of a tempter. We should go as high as $900k IMO. That's getting close but not setting us backwards. He gets a good contract we get to keep him.

Which seems the opposite from what people say where he's a loyal guy who loves it at Moorabin. I reckon it's the life changing money that's more of a tempter. We should go as high as $900k IMO. That's getting close but not setting us backwards. He gets a good contract we get to keep him.
I’m confident that IF he leaves it will be band 1.

Not that we have any control over the matter. But everything SOS has done at Carlton and with Gresham was around getting first round picks when players left - both voluntarily/involuntarily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of time I’ve heard some say “ a mate of a mates cousin knows him”. Give me a spell
It beats debating the merits of the last weeks conversation on this thread.

If only Mowman was still around. He would know 😢

Owens is in the forward half as he is not a midfielder. I would like to see him in the backline though.
Last week's game was the first time I saw him take a grab or two in the backline. I had the exact same thought that perhaps that it's not the worst spot for him, especially if we lose Battle (which I don't want).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back