FB: Webster Howard Stocker
HB: Sinclair Wilkie Nas
C: Wood Macrae Hill
HF: Phillipou King Owens
FF: Sharman Caminiti Higgins
R: Marshall Steele Windhager
I/C: Clark Henry Butler Wilson
Emg: Byrnes Garcia Jones

Gotta say, that is looking like a 10th - 14th team to me. Undersized backline, average forward line (although with some potential), poor midfield and no real depth.

Next year looks very much like another year of development. We really need the guys in the 21-24 age bracket to take the next step, in particular King, Henry and Owens.

We have a lot of high potential youth coming through, especially with 7,8 and 32 joining the ranks but in the last 10 years we've only been able to turn potential into elite players twice (Sinclair and Nas). There's no excuses there, the club just needs to find a way to get at least half a dozen more genuine stars out of our young core.

List spots currently:

Out: Allison, Battle, Bonner, Campbell, Ross, James Van Es
In: Macrae, Hall

Assume out: Crouch, Paton, Hayes, Membrey, Hotton

9 list spots remain:
Cole
Hofmann
Peckett
Ruckman
Key defender (Phillips)
Sandy rookie

3 more:
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick 32
Pick 47

So we're basically over by one and have to sacrifice one of the potential Ins I listed

**** Sandy

Was interested to hear Hanners twice this week say he doesn't rate Caminiti as a forward, and thinks he's too unreliable. I feel like it's a bit of an early call, and that Hammer plays more like a FF than the others on our list and has physical presence which is good for Max.
While Caminiti has done a good job stepping up so early in his career, I really hope we train up Keeler for that role. He just has something about him that could be special at AFL level.

Gotta say, that is looking like a 10th - 14th team to me. Undersized backline, average forward line (although with some potential), poor midfield and no real depth.

Next year looks very much like another year of development. We really need the guys in the 21-24 age bracket to take the next step, in particular King, Henry and Owens.

We have a lot of high potential youth coming through, especially with 7,8 and 32 joining the ranks but in the last 10 years we've only been able to turn potential into elite players twice (Sinclair and Nas). There's no excuses there, the club just needs to find a way to get at least half a dozen more genuine stars out of our young core.
Well that’s depressing

We need more Frdp :(, two a year minimum. So far we've managed to scrounge extras through FA compo. We are going to suck for a couple more years.

Have to take two imo.
Macrae is a short term fix.
This year is our best chance to get good mids.
I’d look at other positions after the top two picks.
Has to be two midfielders. Even if all the picks before us are mids.

Can't win a flag with an elite midfield group and we are 4 gun mids away from it. Our key forwards are set (hopefully with significant improvement), you can get by with average key defenders and rucks but mids are non-negotiable.

Sharman is a natural forward. Repeat leads, great kick for goal.

His biggest problem is we keep moving him around. Needs to play forward every week and get some continuity.

Showed plenty this year as a forward. We are not exactly chock full of forward options either.
Sharman had an excellent game against Bombers this season.

Outside of that??

His stats are pretty much the same as last season tbf

Outside of that??

Like Battle, he needs to be settled in one position now.
And that position is in the forward line. Keep him there. Build his confidence even more.
He’s got the goods. Still young in terms of an AFL career.

List spots currently:

9 list spots remain:
Cole
Hofmann
Peckett
Ruckman
Key defender (Phillips)
Sandy rookie

3 more:
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick 32
Pick 47

So we're basically over by one and have to sacrifice one of the potential Ins I listed

**** Sandy
That last pick might be needed if Saints are going to take NGA. I’d love to use all four and maybe an extra in this draft. Might get some decent success in the 40s and 50s with the deep draft.

For anyone who’s behind, the current state of St Kilda’s list as of: 16/10/2024

Out:

T Campbell - delisted
M Allison - delisted
R Bonner - delisted
J Van Es - delisted
S Ross - delisted
J Battle - free agency
Pick 27 - traded to Brisbane

In:

Pick 8 - free agency band 1 compensation
Pick 32 - traded from Brisbane
J Macrae - traded from the Western Bulldogs

Current 2024 draft picks: 7, 8, 32, 47

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that’s depressing
At least the upside is there.

I see the potential as:

AA squad level: Nas, Owens, King, Philippou, Wilson
Very Good: Windhager, Henry, Schoenmaker, Garcia, Sharman, Caminiti

History suggests that a group of 14 youngsters (including our top 3 picks), are unlikely to all reach their "potential", but that isn't a bad young group to work with. There is a ticking clock though with our current stars approaching their twilight and Tasmania coming in.

2026-2027 has to be the aim. But we're going to need a lot to go right.

List spots currently:

9 list spots remain:
Cole
Hofmann
Peckett
Ruckman
Key defender (Phillips)
Sandy rookie

3 more:
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick 32
Pick 47

**** Sandy
hall/sandy rookie don't particularly excite me

Outside of that??

Was pretty consistent after the break. Might only be getting around 10 possies a game but he was dangerous. 13 goals in the last 8 games or so.

If we have a half decent year he is capable of being a 30-40 goal forward a year. We don't exactly have a plethora of those on our list.

Some serious copium on the Bulldogs trade thread.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I barely use X/Twitter these days, but jumped on this trade period for a minute here or there.

So many dogs fans were insisting Pick 27 was going to be used to land Macrea. I went back to reply to one such poster... All his tweets were deleted.

hall/sandy rookie don't particularly excite me
As luck would have it, it’s probably the worst year to introduce the Sandy rookie. A combination of no standout sandy players and a supposedly deep and a ripper of a draft. Of course, none of this would have been known in hindsight when this initiative was planned out.

Membrey is gone, just not official

Crouch will retire

Not sure about Hayes and Paton
I figured the Crouch decision might have hinged on whether we landed Macrea.

And with both Membrey and Campbell gone, i would love us to retain Hayes.

That means we'll need to delist Paton and retire Crouch to make enough spots?

With pick swaps happening a while longer, I really hope we're considering throwing out our F1 to get back into the top 20 picks.

While Caminiti has done a good job stepping up so early in his career, I really hope we train up Keeler for that role. He just has something about him that could be special at AFL level.
Keller has the potential to be anything , his contested marking and foot skills are elite for a big guy however he has to show it consistently and hopefully next year he takes that step and there is no reason he can't.

Really looking for a big year next year , if we had a fit Crouch this year we would not of finished were we did - MaCrae coming in should strengthen our developing midfield greatly - last year we never had Crouch , Hunter Clark only showed up for 11 games due to injury , Dow who was brought to the club to give us depth never fronted up till the season was done and dusted , Jones once again was a no show except for a few games late and Windhager only played half a season.
Henry couldn't even get a run due to injury and Phillipous development pains.

Anyone thinking this will happen again are extreme pessimists
Just Windhagers , Phillipous , Henry , Wilson , Owens growth could totally change StKilda with the experience of Steele and MaCrae and with Clark , Sinclair , Dow we are in a far better position.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back