List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a combination of factors at play, but mainly the lack of a CHF to me is stark.
Many have said that Max should be higher up the ground which has worked on the few occasions weve seen it.
I wonder if they're still assuming Bing will one day fill that space or if it's stubbornness from either Max, Ross or Harves.
Another possibility is that in a similar case to Pou, they are allowing evolution to happen organically as the timeline seems to be a couple of years away from having all the pieces in place. I think Hammer is probably earmarked as a possible FF but still needs significant growth before he's ready. Either way, the future around our forward line is very opaque at the moment.

The bits look good on paper. King, Snags, Owens, Butler and Caminiti/ Sharman etc. There is something very wrong when that set up can't score heavily. Maybe it's a bit tall and could use small firepower but there is plenty of good pieces in there.

We have a rubbish midfield. If we had Harvey, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Hays, would King be more effective? Of course. But we don’t.. Hence we have to scrap, bust our arse to kick every goal..

Building a team without a competent midfield is like driving on the highway in a tractor..

The good outside squad should take care of the inside 50 kicks though. Geelong won a flag with an ordinary inside squad but good outside pieces.

The good outside squad should take care of the inside 50 kicks though. Geelong won a flag with an ordinary inside squad but good outside pieces.
Pretty sure Geelong still had Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie in their midfield when they won the flag.. if that’s ordinary, then our midfield is utter trash (especially playing without Crouch this year)

Hearing the talk recently of the Saints sniffing around a couple of Adelaide defenders, wonder how that might be affected by the very real possibility Nick Murray did his ACL again last night.
He was saying that it was a precaution last night.

But yeah, depending on who they were after and if they could land them. It may have a direct impact on Howard

Pretty sure Geelong still had Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie in their midfield when they won the flag.. if that’s ordinary, then our midfield is utter trash (especially playing without Crouch this year)

Selwood was cooked. Danger playing less minutes on ball as they nursed them through, Guthrie playing more time of HB etc. They nursed a lot through and relied on rebound and ball use to move the ball. They still had them but guys like Danger were playing 60 to 70 percent game. They sacrificed a lot of inside generation for rebound and I think that's what Lyon has been modelling.

Our midfield with Crouch and Steele was adequate enough to do what they did with their Dad's Army.

Are you calling the midfield of Bartel, Ling, Corey, Kelly "ordinary" or the midfield of Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie?

Go read about the 2022 Geelong season. They nursed their old guys through and sacrificed midfield for outside run and rebound. Some of you dickheads don't watch footy.

Tend to disagree 100% on this one.

Battle looks to be a 250-300 game player by the end of career.

This looks like another McEvoy type situation when we think draft picks are better than a best 22 established player.

We do not have a track record with nailing top 10 picks.

We have finally developed a solid player under our football program and we just ship him off when the price is right... good grief.
This

Premiership clubs don't throw away good CHBs for the lure of picks.

They back their recruiters to find the players with the picks they have and retain the essential parts of their list.

You can't easily replace players like battle. All you'll end up doing is trading a first round pick to get one again in 3 years time or you go without.

We are being seduced by a pick. Like its the magic tonic that will net an elite mid and turn everything around.

Surely no one touches Clarry, not this year at least. Gonna be rather interesting to watch the next few years with his massive contract till 2030. My guess is that eventually they'll find some legal way to dump him and the contract, citing breaches of behavioural clauses or something similar.
There’s a lot of rumours who knows what’s true. What we do know though is enough to stay clear of him, even a first rounder with Melbourne paying a fair chunk of his salary is too risky imo. I could however see him at Geelong, it’s going to be an interesting offseason.

T
I assume the theory is that if the clubs don’t get preferential access, they won’t bother to actually develop the players. Like they’ll run an academy in name but it’ll be a bit shit because they won’t care about it. Actually wasn’t this the system before the current one?
Too bad imo. The standard has been set. The AFL pumps millions into these clubs. They can suck it up imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They back their recruiters to find the players with the picks they have and retain the essential parts of their list.

You can't easily replace players like battle. All you'll end up doing is trading a first round pick to get one again in 3 years time or you go without.

We are being seduced by a pick. Like its the magic tonic that will net an elite mid and turn everything around.
Which premiership club are you referring to?

We are miles off that problem

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming we have the money their 2ndRDP would help us a lot and they could likely pay some of his salary. If we lose all of Battle, Hayes and Membrey this year, we could most certainly use the cover. I know Lobb isn't a desirable player but it just might be a sound moneyball option in the end.
Lobb just played a cracking game in the GMHBA mud as a key defender.

Premiership clubs do manage their cap though. Since when is the club throwing away Battle too, news to me?

I think Hayes might get deleted at the end of the year as he is too injury prone. Which is a shame because if we could have kept him fit he would have been a very handy player . It seems that almost every club has a player who is injury prone. It’s weird because other players play their whole with no serious injuries . Remember Michael Tuck , not much of him , but he went as hard as but never seemed to get many injuries , certainly no serious ones . And then other players do the acl 4 times . There is so much luck involved with injuries.

I’ve been trying to work out if we have to discard four or five players before the next trade period who would they be . Maybe Campbell , Jones , Alison , Paton and maybe one of the young kids who we haven’t seen yet . Any opinions ?

I agree, I really rate Josh, he's a natural leader, he can play forward, middle and back, he's coming into his prime and I really think we'll regret not doing anything we can to convince him to stay.

I get the positives over the deal and that just about justifies it for me, but I think we'll see him reach his full potential at the Hawks and we'll see how we should have developed him.

If he absolutely has to go, now is the time.

I'd be rapt if he chose to stay though. He could be top dog here imo. Forget Steele, this guy could be the guy pushing his team through the GF banner.

Bloody annoying and sad

Totally agree with these sentiments. Also get the vibe now he's gone-ski.

I think it’s more that some feel like Josh has already committed to the Hawks for reasons only known to him and maybe the club. But we’re keen to explore, as a community, the best way to move forward if he does depart.

If Josh chooses to stay I will be overjoyed. But I’ll also be happy to welcome fresh young talent to the club.

I’m not as focused on winning a premiership as many others here are. I just want us to keep improving as an entity, as I firmly believe that lays the foundation for future success.

Losing is frustrating. I share that with everyone else, but I can find lots of ways to garner satisfaction with the club.

We’ve undergone tremendous change since 2017. Stage 1 at Moorabbin started in 2018. 6 years later we have a facility that is modern and state of the art.

Not just in terms of its footballing facilities either, the DFC is currently partnering with Monash University to study mental fitness in elite athletes, and while we hope those initiatives can provide some benefit to the club simply by proximity, it’s almost inconceivable progress from where we were as recently as when Riewoldt retired.

The club has definitely advanced its footy program on the field since Ross Lyon 2.0 rejoined the club. In all areas. There is no doubt.

We have a president who clearly cares for the football department, and has been able to put some very astute people in place in key positions. Ross Lyon being the most prominent piece.

Given that we have committed to rebuilding through a draft led strategy I think the Toce to Dalrymple switch will be the making or breaking of this iteration of the footballing department and the administration that leads it.

The looming Battle decision is a piece of the puzzle but won’t be the aspect we look back at and say, ‘yeah that broke us’. In the same way that his staying won’t be the making of us.

I think it’s more that some feel like Josh has already committed to the Hawks for reasons only known to him and maybe the club. But we’re keen to explore, as a community, the best way to move forward if he does depart.

If Josh chooses to stay I will be overjoyed. But I’ll also be happy to welcome fresh young talent to the club.

I’m not as focused on winning a premiership as many others here are. I just want us to keep improving as an entity, as I firmly believe that lays the foundation for future success.

Losing is frustrating. I share that with everyone else, but I can find lots of ways to garner satisfaction with the club.

We’ve undergone tremendous change since 2017. Stage 1 at Moorabbin started in 2018. 6 years later we have a facility that is modern and state of the art.

Not just in terms of its footballing facilities either, the DFC is currently partnering with Monash University to study mental fitness in elite athletes, and while we hope those initiatives can provide some benefit to the club simply by proximity, it’s almost inconceivable progress from where we were as recently as when Riewoldt retired.

The club has definitely advanced its footy program on the field since Ross Lyon 2.0 rejoined the club. In all areas. There is no doubt.

We have a president who clearly cares for the football department, and has been able to put some very astute people in place in key positions. Ross Lyon being the most prominent piece.

Given that we have committed to rebuilding through a draft led strategy I think the Toce to Dalrymple switch will be the making or breaking of this iteration of the footballing department and the administration that leads it.

The looming Battle decision is a piece of the puzzle but won’t be the aspect we look back at and say, ‘yeah that broke us’. In the same way that his staying won’t be the making of us.
Very well said.

I look at the joy Josh had on his face last night and just can't believe he would want to walk out on a group that he's been a major part of helping to improve.

Ok so the Hawks have the G to play at but he'll have to go into a new backline on massive coin. If he starts off slowly finding his place in their backline watch the knives come out quickly from their supporters. He's well loved and respected by Saints supporters for playing exceedingly well week in and out. If he goes there must be something that he's chasing given we are all but in the ballpark of the contract money and length.

The Hawks are up and about this year but they are on the same watch for the next few seasons as per all the teams between 4 and 13 on the ladder.

I hope desperately that he stays but if he does go hopefully we make the most of it 🤞

If Membrey gets moved on at the end of the year, do you think we will see Sharman get an extended run as the third tall?

He's always sort of been the first one out/moved around to different positions but he seems to just be a natural forward, has craft and actually leads at the ball carrier.

Even if it was just a combination where Him, Owens and Wood rotate through the wing/half forward line, would just love to see him get an extended run at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back