Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So true. The last time we lost to that slow ball movement around the park was rd 2 2019 when Collingwood took us apart. We were off that day and still adjusting to life without Rance. Every time a team has tried it since our pressure gobbles them up.
So, let’s assume Richmond is the best side right now, and Geelong have not got a formula that holds up, who do you or would you be concerned about on GF day?

Port and Brisbane are somewhat not fancied as flag chances, I’d argue West Coast are not in the conversation either. It seems to be all Richmond and Geelong, which is fine, but it’s obvious Richmond are that far ahead of Geelong. Port did defeat Richmond earlier on, I feel they might have something that bothers Richmond but I don’t know enough about Port.

So, let’s assume Richmond is the best side right now, and Geelong have not got a formula that holds up, who do you or would you be concerned about on GF day?
Probably if every team was up and running with a full team Collingwood would worry me the most although they are a long way off the pace. Think the eagles would pose a threat especially now with soldo down, Nic Nat one on one v Nank wouldn’t be great for us. I do honestly think if we play our best and bring our pressure we beat any team. Even with soldo down which is a loss, the inclusion of Edwards, Prestia and Astbury over the next couple of weeks is going to be huge. Think we can still improve.

4. They have to minimise disposals and open up the ground quickly
They have actually done this against us in the H&A and beaten us. And they were excellent in the 1st half of the Prelim last year. They can do it, 100%.

As silly as this sounds, but bulldogs. We did beat them well this year, but they do have a decent record against us over the last 4 years.

They may not be as good pound for pound as the teams in the top 4, but their game style and ability to move the ball quickly stacks up well against us.

And Port Adelaide, especially in SA.

Probably if every team was up and running with a full team Collingwood would worry me the most although they are a long way off the pace. Think the eagles would pose a threat especially now with soldo down, Nic Nat one on one v Nank wouldn’t be great for us. I do honestly think if we play our best and bring our pressure we beat any team. Even with soldo down which is a loss, the inclusion of Edwards, Prestia and Astbury over the next couple of weeks is going to be huge. Think we can still improve.
You raise a fair point re WC but I don’t think they get that far unless they turn things around. Nor will Collingwood. I look at Geelong in 08 and think of how they were beaten, I am wondering if another team could have a moment like that against Richmond.

They have actually done this against us in the H&A and beaten us. And they were excellent in the 1st half of the Prelim last year. They can do it, 100%.
I think any side is capable of being exposed with fast ball movement, it really depends on the ability of the defence to counter fast entry repeatedly. Richmond have elite defensive structures that are hard to break down so it’s up to a Geelong forward line to play next level in a GF.

Sorry for butting in.. But we would be fools not to worry about every side around us.. The Cats, Lions ,Power and Eagles won't be going in with the same setups that didn't work in the past against not just us but each other. Our system stacks up well against other sides but we'd be stupid to think it can't be unpicked....to go far into the finals you've got to have a serious plan B and i think everybody is working on there's

Last edited:
Hey where are all the Cat flogs that have been telling us for over a year that "if only we had Hawkins and Duncan in last years PF we would've beaten Richmond" and won the GF? where are you this morning lol. Same old Geelong, easy beats.

I think any side is capable of being exposed with fast ball movement, it really depends on the ability of the defence to counter fast entry repeatedly. Richmond have elite defensive structures that are hard to break down so it’s up to a Geelong forward line to play next level in a GF.
It's really quite simple, Richmond have 22 players nearly every week who play their roles, any of the tops sides can beat Richmond with the same committment, Richmond do it more, they are the team to beat.

Port and Brisbane are somewhat not fancied as flag chances, I’d argue West Coast are not in the conversation either. It seems to be all Richmond and Geelong, which is fine, but it’s obvious Richmond are that far ahead of Geelong. Port did defeat Richmond earlier on, I feel they might have something that bothers Richmond but I don’t know enough about Port.
If you check our stats from that day we had the worst game since our belting at the hands of ST Kilda in 2017 ...to be honest I'm amazed we were in front at 3 quarter time.. We really shouldn't have been as close as we were an the end of the match ..Port are a good side when things go there way but as Geelong showed if it ain't going there way they have the weakest plan B of the top 5 teams

Jenkins is a spud.
His best football is long behind him just as Stevens is.

Not sure how people can rate us so highly. You only need to look at recent finals records to get a good idea of what we are all about.
We absolutely pumped Port Adelaide a few weeks ago but the chances are, we face them in week 1 and watch what happens when Geelong expect a similar output only to get a completely different version of Port Adelaide, we will wilt under the pressure and start complicating things as the pressure of high expectations will get to us again.
Expectations are low of cats now after last night. Not such a bad thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting statistics from last night.
Geelong had 32 more possessions, 16 more clearances, 8 more centre clearances and stoppage clearances. So clearly Geelong can win the ball and own the ball, but their efficiency inside 50 was 20% less efficient than Richmond and they 50% less marks than Richmond inside 50.

Once they get the ball inside 50 is where it breaks down, they were 2 shy of Richmond’s inside 50 count. Basically it’s the forward line for Geelong. That’s where they lost the game. No surprise really given that Grimes and Vlaustin gobbled up everything. They have to work out a way to split the Richmond defenders up. Stop this two on one against Hawkins and the Geelong forwards need to be tackling non stop.

1. As I’ve said before, whoever CHF is for Geelong needs to make their opponent accountable. Get dangerous, Mark on the HF line, look to score, hit packs hard etc. Geelong probably need to stop Hawkins being the main target. Rohan will help, a lot.

2. Geelong forwards need to tackle. Atkins has 8 which is exceptional. Dahlhaus 1, Jarvis 1, Hawkins 1, Miers 3, O’Connor 2.

Four of Geelong’s starting forwards had 5 tackles between them. That’s pretty poor. The way Richmond move the ball out is too easy. Basically once the ball hits the deck the Geelong forwards need to turn into defenders. They’ll also need a lot of support from the midfield.

Hey where are all the Cat flogs that have been telling us for over a year that "if only we had Hawkins and Duncan in last years PF we would've beaten Richmond" and won the GF? where are you this morning lol. Same old Geelong, easy beats.
Not up to it last night. Clearly. Football is a funny game though. 4 years ago you were in a 35 year window of being ‘easy beats’. Or probably worse, irrelevant. It can change quickly. Especially in a season like this. I wouldn’t write Geelong off just yet.

I think Ablett helps as he chooses the best option rather than kicking to a double or triple teamed Hawkins. Cats worst pressure game of the year. Just couldn’t get near tigers. The most damning stat apart from cats score efficiency Inside 50 was the amount of bounces the tigers took.

They're usually good games against Port. They smashed us that day, should have won by lots more. It's really I think as simple as no Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards and the role players hadn't adjusted as yet. They smashed us around the ball. Just Cotchin alone will make a huge difference in that respect. We'll also have Astbury back to help with Dixon. It wouldn't be a sure thing, but I'd go in a lot more confident.

Not up to it last night. Clearly. Football is a funny game though. 4 years ago you were in a 35 year window of being ‘easy beats’. Or probably worse, irrelevant. It can change quickly. Especially in a season like this. I wouldn’t write Geelong off just yet.
Since 2013 we've missed only one finals series, 14, 15 wins per year. We've hardly been easy beats’ or irrelevant. Yes a our finals sucked but we've eradicated that.

Yes it’s dangerous to say if we had this player or that player etc.. we would’ve won. Agree.
If we play tigers again both teams will look different .
Good luck.

Really? Selwood was pretty avg last year and Prestia was the B&F if the premier. Selwood had 21 touches a game, 6 goals, 39 rebounds, 66 I50, 96 clearances, 96th in the league for metres gained. Prestia has 27, 7 goals, 58 rebounds, 122 I50, 147 clearances, 5th in league for metres gained.

Selwood better at his peak, but nowhere near Prestia now

If we are going back to last year, why not go to the prelim... Virtually identical output from both players (disp/tackles/clearances) in a big game. So I would say both have potential to be as important as each other.

They're usually good games against Port. They smashed us that day, should have won by lots more. It's really I think as simple as no Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards and the role players hadn't adjusted as yet. They smashed us around the ball. Just Cotchin alone will make a huge difference in that respect. We'll also have Astbury back to help with Dixon. It wouldn't be a sure thing, but I'd go in a lot more confident.
Forgot about Astbury. It just spells quite a dire situation for an opposing forward line if he is back. It honestly all comes down stopping the defence of Richmond. I’d be focusing on that.

Mate we are scraping into top 4 at best, just lost two of our most important players structurally.

It's for port/Brissy/cats to lose. WCE and Tigers can do it but lots has to go right.

Forgot about Astbury. It just spells quite a dire situation for an opposing forward line if he is back. It honestly all comes down stopping the defence of Richmond. I’d be focusing on that.
Apparently playing against Adelaide next week, as will Edwards.

If we are going back to last year, why not go to the prelim... Virtually identical output from both players (disp/tackles/clearances) in a big game. So I would say both have potential to be as important as each other.
Yeah Selwood played a blinder in the prelim. Sounds like he was proppy all year and not really suited to the wing. Agree that if he’s fit and in form he’s as valuable as Prestia - more so, if you go back a few years - but hard to judge where he’s at on one good game. If over the next month he is somehow the player he was a few years ago then Cats would be just about flag favourites. I’d rate Selwood the most valuable pure mid of the last 10 years other than GAJ, Danger and Fyfe. Used to consistently just drag you guys over the line in big games. But he’s 32 now, hasn’t played all year and struggled all last year other than that one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Back