Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate we are scraping into top 4 at best, just lost two of our most important players structurally.

It's for port/Brissy/cats to lose. WCE and Tigers can do it but lots has to go right.
And I thought I always underestimated the tiges! Surely we are deserved favourites now. With Chol and Astbury to come in, and Nank not much worse than Soldo as a tap ruckman, we’ll be fine. Lynch will play finals - Chol can cover him structurally until then.

Mate we are scraping into top 4 at best, just lost two of our most important players structurally.

It's for port/Brissy/cats to lose. WCE and Tigers can do it but lots has to go right.
You can probably stay in QLD play at the GABBA all the way, beat Brisbane week 1 Geelong week 3... You are paying $3.50 roughly for the flag for very good reason.

Couple of things I reckon;
1. They’ve got to beat you in the tackle count - particularly their defenders
2. Their midfield has to win or break even
3. Whoever plays at CHF for Geelong has to get up the ground a bit and become a problem for a Tigers defender whilst also kicking a couple.
4. They have to minimise disposals and open up the ground quickly
Yeah they were red hot with their tackling pressure but they couldn’t sustain it. Agree they have to move it quickly but that could also be a problem if they don’t have the right set up. Otherwise could be blazing to an outnumbered fwd line.

Our midfield is probably our weakest line even at full strength and, as has been mentioned ad nauseum by Richmond posters, the one where we're missing the most due to the absence of Prestia and Edwards. However, I'm not sure there's any point in worrying about clearance stats. We won a premiership in 2017 playing Grigg as a second ruck. Our clearance numbers have always been crap. The Dockers beat us 38 to 19 in clearances and we still beat them. The Eagles won the Centre Clearances 15 to 9 with Natanui doing his usual thing, and we still beat them. The Lions beat us 29 to 20 in clearances and we still beat them. Sometimes midfield dominance against the Tigers leads to us getting smashed. Sometimes it doesn't. If it rains and Geelong's tall backs and forwards can't mark the ball, then stoppage dominance will count for little. And, btw, our i50 efficiency against Freo was also crap. It was just that they parked the bus and the ball lived in our forward line.
Wouldn't normally be quoting myself, but I got this one right (even without the aid of rain). We lost the clearances 32 to 16 and it didn't mean crap.

Port and Brisbane are somewhat not fancied as flag chances, I’d argue West Coast are not in the conversation either. It seems to be all Richmond and Geelong, which is fine, but it’s obvious Richmond are that far ahead of Geelong. Port did defeat Richmond earlier on, I feel they might have something that bothers Richmond but I don’t know enough about Port.

Trying to explain to port fans that coming off a 4-day break and travelling nearly 3 hours on the day of the game isn't the best preparation but I also acknowledge the 4-day break has affected, several teams...This anomaly won't happen in finals, teams will have a 6-7-day break.

The biggie for us was, we had 7 of our best 18 not playing and still found ourselves in front at 3 qtr time. But in the last qtr port was too good. There bigger body mids just won to much ball, apart from Dusty our entire midfield wasn't playing.
If we meet them in the finals these players will make a huge difference to the makeup of our team.

Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham, Astbury, and Houli

Last edited:
Yeah they were red hot with their tackling pressure but they couldn’t sustain it. Agree they have to move it quickly but that could also be a problem if they don’t have the right set up. Otherwise could be blazing to an outnumbered fwd line.
It will actually work in their favour, your defence is less likely to be set and they can give a dummy lead whilst Hawkins gets it one out. I think slow movement just plays into your hands. You’ve got astbury coming back as well. They’ve got to get mobile at CHF and drag Vlaustin out.

Haven't read the thread but just big hats off to Richmond, they are hitting their straps at the right time and look set to go back to back. You could tell the difference in the 2 sides last night and how Richmond would move the ball with such confidence and back themselves in to run off their man to link up etc, we looked a bit timid and unsure of ourselves.

I hope this game can make us stronger leading into finals, I don't believe any rubbish like we weren't showing our hand last night. There is no doubt putting Ablett, Selwood, Rohan and Stanley back into the side hopefully removes some of those real sloppy skill errors that were so costly last night but I think Richmond are in our players heads now, I'm not sure if our players believe they can beat them. Richmond are so well set up for their flag tilt, if results go as expected they'll play their other bunnies Brisbane in a QF, then would most likely meet us in a PF assuming we do our normal lose a QF win a semi.

They're usually good games against Port. They smashed us that day, should have won by lots more. It's really I think as simple as no Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards and the role players hadn't adjusted as yet. They smashed us around the ball. Just Cotchin alone will make a huge difference in that respect. We'll also have Astbury back to help with Dixon. It wouldn't be a sure thing, but I'd go in a lot more confident.
That port game we had no right to contest let alone be in front at 3/4 time. At one point our midfield was Chol, Bolton, Stack and Ross. No wonder we got smashed by the port bigger bodies such as wines, boak, rockcliff. Prestia Cotch and Edwards flips that on its head not to mention Astbury taking on Dixon. I’d be content to take on port again even in Adelaide.

I don't think this game will scar them that badly in itself, but the cumulative effect of their struggles against Richmond, as well as in finals (separate but related issues) will be building in their minds.
Make no mistake last nights game was big for the cats and they really wanted to win this, In 2019 the Hawkins suspension was a big question mark in their heads and they thought full on we will take them but last night it was equal footing with both teams having similar outs
Astbury , Prestia , Edwards - Ablett,Selwood,Stanley

Tigers game style stacks up against the cats and our speed is what brings them undone , Speed in the way our players press , pressue , tackle and take ground
personally i dont think having Selwood,Ablett,Stanley will help them over come this area of their game but their talent is not to be denied and if they can improve it to hold the ball better its a different game. But they already won Center clearances so Selwoods work was already done to a high degree anyway

In 2019 100% he is and was having a sensational year until he got injured
Dont get career mixed up with the Now

Being the best player in a premiership winning year

Please Selwood has been in the top half dozen in the in one of the best teams for 12 years. Stats don’t show the true value of Selwood his tackling and defensive work is through the roof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake last nights game was big for the cats and they really wanted to win this, In 2019 the Hawkins suspension was a big question mark in their heads and they thought full on we will take them but last night it was equal footing with both teams having similar outs
Astbury , Prestia , Edwards - Ablett,Selwood,Stanley

Tigers game style stacks up against the cats and our speed is what brings them undone , Speed in the way our players press , pressue , tackle and take ground
personally i dont think having Selwood,Ablett,Stanley will help them over come this area of their game but their talent is not to be denied and if they can improve it to hold the ball better its a different game. But they already won Center clearances so Selwoods work was already done to a high degree anyway
Given there full forward pulled out ten minutes before the game I think they have enough in reserve to beat Richmond.

Last edited:
Thats what you clearly see but look what players can't contest because they're blocked out. Richmond does it minimum 50 times a game

The chief has gone into full meltdown mode in this thread.

Wonder if it has anything to do with his own teams top 4 chances getting flushed down the dunny with the result?

Chin up pal, you get to host an elimination final in Waaaaaa now.

Please Selwood has been in the top half dozen in the in one of the best teams for 12 years. Stats don’t show the true value of Selwood his tackling and defensive work is through the roof.
Not talking about his 12 years

Its about the player they are Now and Prestia was our best player last year and was having another great year before injury
you are under rating Prestia as a player

The chief has gone into full meltdown mode in this thread.

Wonder if it has anything to do with his own teams top 4 chances getting flushed down the dunny with the result?

Chin up pal, you get to host an elimination final in Waaaaaa now.
Just been reading the thread through and his little act was certainly entertaining. Has perked me up no end.

Proves nothing.
So evidence proves nothing, whereas your unsubstantiated assertion does. And yes stats have their limitations, but in the case of Richmond players, given our game style, it is that they underestimate our players, rather than flatter them. We are a low possession team and you wouldn't want to pick Richmond players if you were playing super coach. Geelong's kick mark style is more suited to that. And yet, despite this, Prestia has better stats this year than Sedwood. He is at the peak of his career, following up a best and fairest in a premiership year with five games where he established himself as the highest possession (on game average) player in the Richmond side before he was waylaid with injury. So a very good player at the peak of his career is a better player now than a truly great player coming towards the end of his career. is that such a shocking opinion for anyone to have?

So evidence proves nothing, whereas your unsubstantiated assertion does. And yes stats have their limitations, but in the case of Richmond players, given our game style, it is that they underestimate our players, rather than flatter them. We are a low possession team and you wouldn't want to pick Richmond players if you were playing super coach. Geelong's kick mark style is more suited to that. And yet, despite this, Prestia has better stats this year than Sedwood. He is at the peak of his career, following up a best and fairest in a premiership year with five games where he established himself as the highest possession (on game average) player in the Richmond side before he was waylaid with injury. So a very good player at the peak of his career is a better player now than a truly great player coming towards the end of his career. is that such a shocking opinion for anyone to have?
yur wasting time n energy trying to explain logic to ppl like that geelong supporter,theyre just sour atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Back