Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 20 - Blues v Port Fri July 26th 7:40pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The 5 day break IS a big deal. There's no doubt that it's a hindrance, and an advantage to the opposition.
For perspective, Acres (just an example) may have played if it was a 7 day break.
So if he did play last night, he wouldn't have been quite right.
Logic says that that would likely to have applied to a few Carlton players that did play.

How much it matters? Who knows.

In the long run, do we care? No.

They lost. End of story. It simply doesn't matter now.

Second point...I like that Curnow gets Frees For. The umpires should pay way more to key forwards.
I hate the way that defenders have a different set of rules to everyone else on the field when it comes to marking contests. It's bullshit.

Caton have the best defender in the comp.
The best forward in the comp.
The best midfielder in the comp.
The best tagger in the comp.

I feel they should be better than they are.

Something just seems amiss with them.

I think all of these points are highly debateable.

Best Defender? One of the best yes.
Best forward? Well, he does get many cheap free kicks every week that guarantees him 2 goals, take this away and he would be mid tier.
Best midfielder? Cripps is one of the best but not the best. There would be a dozen with him. Bont, Daicos, Warner, Gulden, Neale, Danger, Butters, Merrett, Petracca and a few more I'm sure are all as good.
Best tagger? Maybe, but how many taggers are there in the league, not a big deal if you are playing against a top 4 quality team.

Carlton's problem has always been lack of on-field depth, they have always relied on their "best" players to carry them through in tough times. They have tried to rectify this reliance of Cripps, Weitering, Curnow etc by recruiting in Cerra, Acres, Kennedy, Martin, McGovern, Saad, Newman, Hewitt etc in an attempt to create quality depth to help their "stars" but these guys are just not capable of stepping up into key roles, they are all B to C-graders, no A-graders. You can't rely on a few players to win you games every week, as good as they are they can't do that for 23 weeks + finals, they need help on all lines. Weitering needs 2 more. Cripps needs 3 or 4, Curnow needs another 2. They are short probably 5 or 6 A-graders on the field.

There are always important reasons why teams let players go if they are fringe. Carlton needs to draft A-graders and develop them, not try to recruit them. This is their 30 year problem.

The 5 day break IS a big deal. There's no doubt that it's a hindrance, and an advantage to the opposition.
For perspective, Acres (just an example) may have played if it was a 7 day break.
So if he did play last night, he wouldn't have been quite right.
Logic says that that would likely to have applied to a few Carlton players that did play.

How much it matters? Who knows.

In the long run, do we care? No.

They lost. End of story. It simply doesn't matter now.

Second point...I like that Curnow gets Frees For. The umpires should pay way more to key forwards.
I hate the way that defenders have a different set of rules to everyone else on the field when it comes to marking contests. It's bullshit.
Agreed that Fwds should be paid the interference frees kicks, defenders get way with way to much, but only if it applies to all forwards in all teams and currently it doesn’t. Curnow (28)has 6 more free kicks than the closet KPF in Hogan(22) outiside Carlton. McKay has 25. That’s 53 free kicks 2.9 per game average to Carltanks 2 KPFs.
Treacy and Amiss at Freo have 37 at 2.1 per game.

Fair call, I was looking at an article before the updated fixture for the second half of the season.

Going back to this point though:

Brisbane's second five day break was the same Sunday/Friday night combination, except Brisbane travelled to Melbourne for both games.

Compare this to Carlton's second five day break with back to back games at home.

I must be going insane because I missed the Brisbane one the first time I looked, and I still cannot for the life of me see where it is. I'm genuinely curious. Looking on the AFL website I can only see one 5 day break for Brisbane:
- Saturday (round 6) to Thursday (round 7) vs GWS away

Here's all of Brisbane's Friday night games for the year. I can't see a Sunday-Friday 5 day break?
  • Friday opening round --> no match the week before
  • Friday round 4 --> previous round was Thursday
  • Friday round 13 --> previous round was a bye. They did play the Sunday before the bye which could be the confusion?
  • Friday round 14 --> previous round was Friday
  • Friday round 16 --> previous round was Saturday

I genuinely can't see this prior game, but apologise if I have missed it elsewhere.

My bigger point is that 5 day breaks suck for everyone and that outside Thursday games they are unusual (at most only occurring three times this year in total). In this case, Carlton were a bit unlucky in requiring some fairly major personnel changes after last week.

I don't think the short rest had a huge impact on the result. Port were excellent and deserved to win. They simply applied too much pressure all over the ground. Carlton couldn't do what they wanted at any stage outside of Q2 and without McKay (in particular) really struggled to score when NOT able to play on their terms, and hence got beaten.

I genuinely can't see this prior game, but apologise if I have missed it elsewhere.

My bigger point is that 5 day breaks suck for everyone and that outside Thursday games they are unusual (at most only occurring three times this year in total). In this case, Carlton were a bit unlucky in requiring some fairly major personnel changes after last week.

I don't think the short rest had a huge impact on the result. Port were excellent and deserved to win. They simply applied too much pressure all over the ground. Carlton couldn't do what they wanted at any stage outside of Q2 and without McKay (in particular) really struggled to score when NOT able to play on their terms, and hence got beaten.

You're right, I stand corrected. I'm struggling evidently haha.

I do agree with your point re five day breaks, though I think the impact they have is similar to the Thursday night games in terms of preparation.

I do agree I think the personnel changes had a bigger impact than the extra day break somewhat offset by travel. Carlton played as if they had both key targets up forward, and once Port realised no one but Curnow was going to be used, it made shutting Curnow down much easier.

But in the end, outside of the second quarter, Carlton's mids were being beaten around the ball. Few questionable coaching moves by Voss didn't help either.

You're right, I stand corrected. I'm struggling evidently haha.

I do agree with your point re five day breaks, though I think the impact they have is similar to the Thursday night games in terms of preparation.

I do agree I think the personnel changes had a bigger impact than the extra day break somewhat offset by travel. Carlton played as if they had both key targets up forward, and once Port realised no one but Curnow was going to be used, it made shutting Curnow down much easier.

But in the end, outside of the second quarter, Carlton's mids were being beaten around the ball. Few questionable coaching moves by Voss didn't help either.

No worries- I though I was going insane as a few people had commented that Brisbane had the same thing too...

Port were really good. Our recent games against Port really depend on who wins the midfield battle and they won it, and hence won the game. I actually don't think McKay would have changed that. They tagged Cripps and restricted him, gambled that Butters/Rozee/Wines could beat Walsh/Hewett/Cerra and that was the game, really.

I think Voss made some questionable moves but was also playing chess with checkers pieces, particularly after losing his sub - Carroll came in and is really a midfield only guy, and so he had to go into that mix against players who are simply too good for him to compete against (rather than Kennedy etc). Making him the sub was probably as costly a mistake as any, with the benefit of hindsight...

Ask any player about how much of a help and extra day is to their recovery. It's not just players on the sideline, it's the whole team this late in the season.

It's a part of it, no doubt about it.

The disagreement comes from some people who want to paint the picture of a team that is inherently not up to it, rather than a team with the players but having a rough time with injuries, rest and recovery.

It will pass. Every team goes through this at some time.

Voss is one of those unfortunate people that smile at unusual moments then stop smiling just as quickly as they started.

It's such a weird trait. Paul little used to do it. So did that creep Dr. Peter Larkins.

I reckon it shows some of sort of deep psychological thing. It's just strange to associate a smile with anything other than being happy or something being funny.

Agreed that Fwds should be paid the interference frees kicks, defenders get way with way to much

I don’t have a problem with this, the problem comes back to being consistent when doing it.

Some forwards get looked after , some dont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The free kick whinge every week.

Sesame Street News GIF by Muppet Wiki

Other teams panic and hang off the leagues most dangerous forward.

Free kicks are inspiring now?

😂
To curnow they are , tugs at his jumper nearly everytime he kicks a goal from one

You’re right, I was impressed with a number of their players. Wines, JHF, and Aliir were standouts to me. Port well and truely outplayed Carlton and had a very well earned win.
Excellent - I'm sure you've been watching the replay today to relive the excellent Port performance. Understandable if you're salty though - Carlton supposedly being in the window and dropping games, looking like that window might be a mirage or is closing faster than a four-pane window with a broken weight and rope mechanism - watch your fingers!!

The free kick whinge every week.

Sesame Street News GIF by Muppet Wiki

Other teams panic and hang off the leagues most dangerous forward.

I don't watch Carlton games apart from when we play them, but he got some mightily soft frees Friday night.

I don't watch Carlton games apart from when we play them, but he got some mightily soft frees Friday night.
Couple soft ones against Aliir up the ground but the hold and block out of the contest in that double team and the high contact were absolutely there

But yes I do agree that he got a couple softies up the ground against Aliir

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 20 - Blues v Port Fri July 26th 7:40pm AEST (Marvel)

Back