Preview AFL Round 22 v Lions - Prematch Selection & Discussion - DaVe 86 Preview Post 83 - Teams Post 93

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 22 v Lions: Prematch Selection & Discussion

You can rule Maxwell out for the rest of the year, AFAIK, this will be the 7th match Dawes will have missed. Heath will be underdone (as far as match fitness goes), ditto for Maxwell & Dawes will have had 1 game at an AFL level when we play our first final. You don't want to carry 3 players into a final.

Interesting note about Heath Shaw, Tony said on AFL Teams tonight that Heater has lost 4 kilos while in Arizona. Depending on whether he was carrying a little extra weight, this could be a great indication of his commitment.

Re: AFL Round 22 v Lions - Prematch Selection & Discussion (Teams Post 93)

Somebody from here should go to training tomorrow to see if and how Dawes is training.Then we would know the truth about this calf injury story.

I reported the Dawes calf rumour and it was poo poo'd.

I am very worried about what this means. I am not happy with our forward set up without him and Keefe is not the answer (yet). I'd like the Caff but isn't he injured too?

The only thing that will beat us this year is injury and now I'm officially starting to worry a bit. Wellingham worries me too. It was all bruised hip a few days back now it's groin again.

The club needs to stop playing funny buggers with the injuries. Dawes has missed 8 weeks now & there is no indication of the setback. We take Travis Cloke for granted, he has been holding our forward line together with little support, the risk that runs, is that by finals time, is he will be cooked. He has had no rest this year & little support with an unsettled forward structure.

Keefe hasent worked up forward dont think it will.

I'd imagine Cloke wouldn't travel to Perth next week probably with Luke Ball as well, they'll both need a rest.
Given the injury list looks like we'll be playing the back-ups right up to finals.

But really, this is what we have to look forward to;

Johnson will be fine
Wellingham will have 2 before finals
TOovey 3 before finals
Didak 5 before finals
Shaw at least will come in fully fit
Dawes is the unknown, anything from 2 to a no show
Maxwell likely to miss

So worst case is No Dawes and Maxwell which we've covered all season with extra bonuses. It's unfortunate but not crippling.
Still Dawes is a critical piece against Geelong because they have 3 tall defenders, that's the match up that worries me without him

If Dawes is done for a bit, should we think about Tarrant up forward?

Still Dawes is a critical piece against Geelong because they have 3 tall defenders, that's the match up that worries me without him
He got smashed in our only loss.

You don't play full forwards to provide a good match up for Scarlett. You play KP forwards as a weapon.

Him missing it all would be a disappointment, but not unmanageable with respect to the big prize.

The runners rotating don't bother me much. We had some question marks at the end of last year, but when finals hit, everyone all of a sudden gets better!

Would Rather Tarrant then Keeffe up Forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles will take the reigns as captain so no loss that maxwell wont be back.
We played our best football in the early games with Pendles as captain and maxwell out, so a blessing in disguise as far as Im concerned.

It would be a real shame if we didn't get Dawes back but look we've done fine without him and will do so if he doesn't come back..

all this talk of us being finished if we lose Cloke is garbage.. he's been good but someone else will step up in his absence, thats the beauty of this side.

We're missing BJ, Maxwell, and Shaw from the back 6, last person I'd take out of there right now is Tarrant. He is in great form.

Nah, no matter what, Tarrant stays at full back, especially against the better sides (Freo, Cats then the finals).

We have the best backline in the league, both statistically and in the "real world", and there is no reason to go changing that.

We will still score, all we have to do is make a contest up forward and make sure we aren't out marked. Also, delivery inside 50 is almost as important as who you have to deliver it to.

Look at Carlton, the most effective forward 50 team in the comp, you wouldn't say they have a great forward line, yet because of delivery from the likes of Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Yarran and Scotland this year, they can hit their less then sensational forwards in dangerous positions, and also create contested situations inside 50 where they can get the edge (Don't worry, Carltons' backline is shit, they aren't even a threat to us).

I have no doubts we can win the premiership even without Chris Dawes as that 2nd main tall forward (although I expect him to be back sooner then most), and no matter who we play up forward all they have to do is make a contest and we will be fine.

The injury list is becoming an issue :(

Wellingham Johnson Dawes Macaffer Shaw Maxwell N Brown Dick

I reported the Dawes calf rumour and it was poo poo'd.

I am very worried about what this means. I am not happy with our forward set up without him and Keefe is not the answer (yet). I'd like the Caff but isn't he injured too?

The only thing that will beat us this year is injury and now I'm officially starting to worry a bit. Wellingham worries me too. It was all bruised hip a few days back now it's groin again.

I did not poo poo. I expressed concern. We have a few problems this end of the year with injuries.

Brisbane don't have much in terms of tall forwards. I'd play Keefe down back and put Reid and Tarrant forward for a half each. I want to see how Reid goes as a forward now.

I did not poo poo. I expressed concern. We have a few problems this end of the year with injuries.

Yeah you did, sorry but I'm sooking a bit tonight. It's ours if we can just hold together!

Confirmed by Barrett on TFS.

Pickering said he strained his calf on Saturday morning. He might not be back this year if that's the case.

That is a 3 to 4 week injury.

I don't want to shoot the messenger or anything, but how on earth did he strain it on the Saturday? The seniors obviously played on Friday night so wouldn't have trained on the Saturday and AFAIK he had no involvement with the reserves.

I could well be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that it occurred in the last session before last week's match so on the Thursday. From what I can also gather its only a slight strain so 3 week's off from then (which is ample time if its a slight strain) has him right to go for the Geelong match.

got a positive bunch around here tonight :rolleyes:

Yeah I must admit I'm rather curious as to how a minor calf strain (as reported by Barrett) could be extrapolated into a 7 week injury....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back