Autopsy AFLW 2017 R7 v Ade (@ Oly Park) game #30, 'pies gallant in defeat (46-70) #165 - THANKS TO PLAYERS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very proud of what our girls achieved this year.

Tough gig to create something out of nothing, and compete against 7 other teams doing the same.

Our team competed well, and made the most of their opportunity to play AFL. The improvement from round 1 to round 7 was extraordinary!

Looking forward to next year's competition

Nah, I cringe when Jonno Brown, Luke Darcy and a few others speak.
Agree, plus a lot more.

I was referencing some numpty who tried to put that label on me when I said I couldn't stand Kelli's voice.

Anyway, congrats to all the AFLW girls on a triumphant first up season.

Thanks for your contribution this year it's been a pleasure :)

Commiserations to our girls. Tough beat. Hopefully we can come back better next year.

Big round of applause for barrackers for his (or her?) efforts in chronicling this inaugural AFLW Collingwood season here for us, sometimes against the tide. Much appreciated, B. Thank you for your efforts. The ruby was well earned...
I'm glad the small role I played on here is appreciated; the real thanks should go to the girls and coaches though. It's been a pretty remarkable journey from amateur footy players to a cohesive team and they really have developed their own passion and identity under the Collingwood umbrella. I certainly found myself more engaged than I initially imagined when the licence was announced and that's 100% to do with the players, their journey and dedication to the fans and the game.

The girls were still mingling with the crowd when I left 10 minutes ago. I'm so glad I stayed long enough to see Eddie bring the players and fans together. He gave a ripping speech thanking the players for making Collingwood better and got the fans to give 3 cheers. The players looked touched by Eddie's initiative and it was a nice way to thank the team.

Sorry to be that guy (and this is not as knock on AFLW - i love it) but off the field our club is hopeless.

Well done to the girls on the field. Really exciting to watch and their play improved across the season. Keen to see what they can do next year.

They are all smallish things but point to just wanting a team in the AFLW without caring about it. We have been so unprofessional in many areas the last few years but to come across as arrogant and not caring about this comp whilst wanting the benefits, just smells and paints our club in a poor way.

Surely if we are to have a women's team then we need to be professional about it....at least pretend we care.

1) My kids are burnt - no matter how often you re- apply or how big your hat is, if their is no shade then people get burnt. We don't have a home ground at the moment to service our team. The fact that our home game got moved should have been enough to get this right when we finally played there. Spend some money for some cover in the outer like we actually care about this competition -- it is a summer comp, act like we know it is.

2) Not being allowed to have a kick on the ground. Heaps of girls with footy's (including mine) and nowhere to kick them. What a great decision that was. I get maybe before the game and half time when the auskickers were on but after the game? Are we so tight when it comes to getting the girls excited that we won't spend some money on wages across the bar or on security for an hour after the game?

3) Score board - if you can call it that. Seemed as though the person that was selling the over priced food, was also responsible for updating the scores. At one stage 3 separate goals were kicked and the scores hadn't been changed. Pathetic, unprofessional, non caring attitude.

4) Ground announcer - Boring. How about telling us who kicked a goal in an excited voice and get the place pumping rather than announcements no one is interested in and delivering them as though you have been asked to leave the bar to do it.

5) Speakers were used to play music when we kicked a goal...oh except only sometimes. Don't do it at all rather than every know and again. Must have been the guy serving, and doing the score board that also had to do the music. Unprofessional, pathetic, embarrassing.

6) Geelong have a junior girls academy that my daughter will go to - they don't even have a team in the competition but they are setting it up properly. I am pretty sure we don't and once again an example of a don't care attitude to this team.

Terrible experience at the ground...no more money from me to the club this year, zilch..zero.

Well done to the girls really enjoyed watching them for the year.

Sorry to be that guy (and this is not as knock on AFLW - i love it) but off the field our club is hopeless.

Well done to the girls on the field. Really exciting to watch and their play improved across the season. Keen to see what they can do next year.

They are all smallish things but point to just wanting a team in the AFLW without caring about it. We have been so unprofessional in many areas the last few years but to come across as arrogant and not caring about this comp whilst wanting the benefits, just smells and paints our club in a poor way.

Surely if we are to have a women's team then we need to be professional about it....at least pretend we care.

1) My kids are burnt - no matter how often you re- apply or how big your hat is, if their is no shade then people get burnt. We don't have a home ground at the moment to service our team. The fact that our home game got moved should have been enough to get this right when we finally played there. Spend some money for some cover in the outer like we actually care about this competition -- it is a summer comp, act like we know it is.

2) Not being allowed to have a kick on the ground. Heaps of girls with footy's (including mine) and nowhere to kick them. What a great decision that was. I get maybe before the game and half time when the auskickers were on but after the game? Are we so tight when it comes to getting the girls excited that we won't spend some money on wages across the bar or on security for an hour after the game?

3) Score board - if you can call it that. Seemed as though the person that was selling the over priced food, was also responsible for updating the scores. At one stage 3 separate goals were kicked and the scores hadn't been changed. Pathetic, unprofessional, non caring attitude.

4) Ground announcer - Boring. How about telling us who kicked a goal in an excited voice and get the place pumping rather than announcements no one is interested in and delivering them as though you have been asked to leave the bar to do it.

5) Speakers were used to play music when we kicked a goal...oh except only sometimes. Don't do it at all rather than every know and again. Must have been the guy serving, and doing the score board that also had to do the music. Unprofessional, pathetic, embarrassing.

6) Geelong have a junior girls academy that my daughter will go to - they don't even have a team in the competition but they are setting it up properly. I am pretty sure we don't and once again an example of a don't care attitude to this team.

Terrible experience at the ground...no more money from me to the club this year, zilch..zero.

1,3 - is all too common for VFL watchers, at the very least we need some shade sails as ground only has a small slither of shade available, which is on the glasshouse side. Hopefully we see some games at Vic Park next season.

2 - I found this strange last match having been allowed on the ground for the VFL, but thinking about it I don't think fans were permitted on the ground after the matches at Ikon Park either, perhaps it's an AFL directive? The other thing to consider is the players put heaps of time into walking the boundary to interact with fans after the match and having supporter access to the ground would probably compromise this.

6 - Geelong have been putting a lot of work into the region. They're also replacing the Geelong Magpies in the VFL this year

Glad to hear you're happy with the Geelong FC Junior Academy Goody. We've done heaps of work getting it going and yes it is being set up properly but that's because we're getting heaps of feedback from our girls already playing AFLW this year. The 8 clubs that ran with it this season are all learning as they're going and I'm sure the Pies Academy system will be great in the future.

Well done to all the girls who've taken part in the AFLW's this year. You're all groundbreakers, you're all legends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

barrackers Robroy22 thanks for the feedback. As i said i think AFLW will be awesome - to be around at its inception is exciting.

I just think our club could be doing so much better (off field) and some of that seems to come from attitude compared to how some of the other clubs and regions are going about it. Hope we improve, but my personal experience today was the club I love, lacking care and professionalism.

Don't think the Cats are doing it without The ulterior motive.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid outbrain
They want GWS style access to the best players in 2018!

Holden Center is a Shit Place to Play Games at

and

Club Feels They Half Asses the Women's Team

Feedback helps the club get better

Fair enough, it's 2017, we've been slip slop slapping for more than 30 years. Most folks would probably be quite cranky if they took their kids out to watch a bit of entertainment and they ended up sunburnt.

Yeah, quite a few people seem to complain about that at Olympic Park.

Maybe it's a case for twilight or evening games in the summertime until they get the infrastructure sorted out?

@barracker 's explanation seems to make sense, but surely the club could figure out a way to allow the players to safely mingle amongst the fans without putting an MCG sized footy oval out of action to do it?

Fair enough. Keeping the scoreboard promptly updated is the minimum standard.

Who was the ground announcer?

AFLW is new and vibrant, that's much of the appeal. Disappointing if the ground announcer was boring.

This is probably a contentious one. A lot of the purists would probably not like any music, but hey, if it gets the kids boogying and helps keep them entertained then that's gotta be a good thing!

I think we've teamed up with Oakleigh Chargers to provide the girls academy.

There was some article about it a few weeks ago.

Nevertheless, if you're a member with kids and the club hasn't told you about it ... then that would seem to be a bit of a breakdown in communication.

Sincere question: how would you have felt about that experience if we had won?

+1

Holden Center is a Shit Place to Play Games at
Not sure about playing Dave as it looks a great ground to train and play on - greta condition. Definitely not one we can hang our hat on as a home ground when showcasing our club to spectators, both Pies and opposition. Make it look like we care about the AFLW with our attitude to the surroundings and the game day experience.

Anyway I have whinged enough about today and our clubs attitude to the competition. Time for me to move on.

Not sure about playing Dave as it looks a great ground to train and play on - greta condition. Definitely not one we can hang our hat on as a home ground when showcasing our club to spectators, both Pies and opposition. Make it look like we care about the AFLW with our attitude to the surroundings and the game day experience.

Anyway I have whinged enough about today and our clubs attitude to the competition. Time for me to move on.

I am not talking about Players. I am Talking about as Fans going to Holden Center for Games.

I got a Feeling the Club got a Women's Side because they thought it be Cool

Feedback helps the club get better

This is probably a contentious one. A lot of the purists would probably not like any music, but hey, if it gets the kids boogying and helps keep them entertained then that's gotta be a good thing!

I think we've teamed up with Oakleigh Chargers to provide the girls academy.

There was some article about it a few weeks ago.

Nevertheless, if you're a member with kids and the club hasn't told you about it ... then that would seem to be a bit of a breakdown in communication.

Sincere question: how would you have felt about that experience if we had won?

+1

1) Agree with the music and the purists but the slap shot way we approached it is more the point. Do it well or just don't do it. More an overall feel that we don't care enough as a club about this at all levels. These little things are just examples of how we seem to be handling the bigger picture.

2) Thanks for the feedback on the girls academy. Good to hear.

3) Winning had nothing to do with it for me. I really enjoy watching the on field and also watching the positive effect it has on my daughters face. We left at half time as the kids were getting miserable, burnt and hot out in the open -which was really disappointing when we drove in from Torquay. I have enjoyed losses more.....once again our home game did nothing to dispel my thoughts on our clubs attitude to things AFLW.

barrackers Robroy22 thanks for the feedback. As i said i think AFLW will be awesome - to be around at its inception is exciting.

I just think our club could be doing so much better (off field) and some of that seems to come from attitude compared to how some of the other clubs and regions are going about it. Hope we improve, but my personal experience today was the club I love, lacking care and professionalism.

When you posted about taking your kids to the game today, I didn't want to come across as being negative (again), and said nothing. But Olympic Park is quite simply not an appropriate venue to watch footy. I would have loved to have been there today, but it is not good enough. I am fair skinned and even with hats and sunscreen, I cannot stand in the sun. It makes me ill.

I have loved the AFLW season, but next year we have to play our games at Vic Park. We just have to. The club has to think of the supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFLW 2017 R7 v Ade (@ Oly Park) game #30, 'pies gallant in defeat (46-70) #165 - THANKS TO PLAYERS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back