Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

The interesting thing on Bell, across the league I can't think of many other GM of footy type guys that have come from Development. That being said his predecessor came from a Commercial role so WTF do I know?

Simon Lloyd who was the GM if football at Geelong from 2017 to late last year started as a development coach

Didn’t jump straight from development to GM though to be fair

Not sure you need a vocal chair? Seems that’s more the CEOs role.
Na disagree. It's on the board to decide the long term direction of the club, which with deciding whom will be the coach for the next X number of years is a key decision that they need to ultimately make (which they did).
It was their decision to finally let Simmo go, so therefore as the head of the board, it should have been Fitzpatrick heading the press conference not Pyke. He sat there and kept quiet and said a little fair well at the end, letting Pyke run the Press conference. Came across as pretty weak form for me. Could be a reason people are saying it was a bit of a shambles of a PC.

If next year really is going to be the next/new era for WC, then he needs to go too. Hes been at an executive role with the club for something like 10 years, he is responsible for decisions made to get us where we are now.
As others have said, we need an as clean slate as possible going into this off season, as many fresh new voices to rejuvenate the club. And the best people possible for there roles.

Not sure you need a vocal chair? Seems that’s more the CEOs role.

Strongly disagree look how well Cransberg handled the Worsfold to Simpson handover.

The Chair and board handle all things direction, the CEO handles the navigation of the directional instruction.

Fitzpatrick has been a light weight Chair, as was his predecessor Russell Gibbs.

I only hope that when he leaves that Elizabeth Gaines gets the job.

I have got a felling that she will have a bigger set of stones, than her two predecessors combined.

Chair: Gaines
CEO: Pyke
Coach: ? to be advised

The start of a new era.

Bring it on.

Just on Bell his comments pre-board meeting seem a little out of step. Coming out hours before too day simmo had his and the clubs support only to hours later be gone smacks of someone very out of the loop.

Just on Bell his comments pre-board meeting seem a little out of step. Coming out hours before too day simmo had his and the clubs support only to hours later be gone smacks of someone very out of the loop.

By that logic, every chairman who’s come out and given a coach “my full support” days before he’s given the arse must have been out of the loop.

His tenure is up this year because he’s been on the board 9 years. It’s not like he’s come in with a broom and sacked the blokes that got us into the doldrums. He’s been a part of the board that oversaw the entire descent.

You are correct, but he still did it as opposed to Cranberg or Barnaba allowing Nisbett to get out of the 06 boys mess.

Anyhow I was mostly saying if you want him to fall on his sword, he’s out in a few months.

By that logic, every chairman who’s come out and given a coach “my full support” days before he’s given the arse must have been out of the loop.
To clarify, it wasn't that he backed simmo it was more the timing. It was a interview that there was no need to do. You'd think someone would have let the gm of footy know not to bother.

Bell " So ahh yeah not sure about Simmo he is in a meeting atm to see if he being sacked"

Lol whats he meant to say

To clarify, it wasn't that he backed simmo it was more the timing. It was a interview that there was no need to do. You'd think someone would have let the gm of footy know not to bother.

Even that is just a huge alarm for the media. Saw it with Kelly having his presser binned.

Never want a situation like Drum even if it's players getting told by the media.

Bell’s interview with Duffield on SEN was his usual fortnightly spot that is normally done live so listeners can get questions in

This time it was prerecorded before Duffield came on air (so before 8.00am)

I’d say Bell was aware hence the early recording which was preferred to cancelling it all together which would’ve alerted Duffield that something was up. Keep in mind, Goosage had already tweeted that Simpson’s future could be decided that day

Expect they wanted to let players etc know before anything started coming out in the media. The official announcement came very shortly after Kelly’s presser was cancelled at the last minute

Club did well to keep it in house before the official announcement which includes Bell playing a straight bat in a prearranged interview

It's about time we restructured the club. Do we need so many business Perthonalities on the board.
Time we had more than one board member with a football background.
Even the Dockers have a member elected board member.
There's plenty of ex Eagles players who would make great board members Woosha, Beau Waters and Dean Kemp just to name 3 possibilities.

We also need to get rid of Bell as Football Manager and bring in a hard nut like Choko Williams.

Choko should also oversee the Development of our younger players, they aren't being taught much by coaches that have come from a third tier competition like the WAFL
How many of our assistants would be head hunted by other clubs looking for a senior coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad about Carr not being interested, though it's not an overly glowing endorsement of our situation.

He's a dog campaigner.

I'm glad about Carr not being interested, though it's not an overly glowing endorsement of our situation.
Yep, wouldn't be interested in Carr...just saying he was a possible candidate, but not now.
Same with Hinkley and a good thing too.
It's also early days for casting the net...

Enjoyed listening to J Waterman earlier the year regarding his great form.
Interesting that his illness diagnosis last year made him look at his football career mortality and more appreciative of how blessed he is to play AFL.
That his driver to train like never before & look at his life outside re diet/alcohol, (necessary for his medical condition & for his playing ability, it seems). Results have come as seen.
A bloke that has been seen as not up to AFL/fringe by a few has shown that a different attitude can completely change things/perceptions.
He is a self professed leader of the forward line now, in terms of engagement/voice.
Hope that can transition into an official leadership role, if it isn't already, to drive standards.
Mainly for the younger guys.
Our fwd line needs a bit more manic pressure/never say die attitude.

TLDR; Waterman Fwd coach & tells ALL forwards to keep up with him at training, including Cpt.

Just listened to Quarters and Barra - always a good listen, but I only listen to the Eagles related parts. Barra is such a funny guy. Had me in stitches tonight, talking about the length of player's penises. Quarters was also talking up Schofield for coach.

Hopefully someone taps Oscar on the shoulder and says it's not real good doing jokey podcasts..banter etc.
Very close, if not the worst period in club history....I would prefer the skipper to focussed on driving standards.
I am older but do appreciate what appeals to younger generation, to a degree, wrt social content
These are dire times for our club.
Some of what I listen to from Oscar is a bit jock jokey smack talking humour. Haha.
I want a hardcore skipper.......yes, sorry gonna mention Woosha
Bloke studied pharmacy, recognised hardest degree back in those times, played AFL, trained like a maniac and expected others to train the same.
Big fan of Oscar, but zero inside fwd 50 tackles shits me. That's right in his wheelhouse...lead by example
Do think he is a leader. Hopefully grows into further than he is now.

The main problem with Oscar going on podcasts is now we all know that he has the personality of a fence post. I now find it impossible to believe anyone at the club looks up to him in any way for any reason. He's a good looking rooster and for a while there was trending as a marquee player for the club but there's just not enough going on behind those baby blues. New coach should hopefully mean all new leadership group. We're pretty light on for candidates in the right age bracket so it's pretty much make Jake captain or give the reigns to Harley in his 2nd year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back