Discussion BRENDON Goddard and Free Agency (Thread Closed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/exp...n-insult-to-fans/story-fn5937w8-1226398062257

GWS list manager Stephen Silvagni ''In relation to BJ, he's made it quite clear he wants to stay at St Kilda,''

'”all indications is he wants to stay a St Kilda player. So, that's where that sits. He's made it quite clear.'’

''Dan's intention is to get the deal done with St Kilda ... he's not shopping him around. ''

Negotiations with the Saints over money - the asking price will be somewhere between $650,000-$700,000 per season - and length of the contract and have not yet started.

Richardson ''He's happy at St Kilda, he's happy about the direction the club is going.''

The Saints are now waiting on Goddard's management.

Goddard is 27 and would love a five-year deal. He won't get it. It most likely would be three years because the Saints aren't keen on longer-term deals.

Michael Nettlefold said he expected serious negotiations to begin shortly.

He stressed Goddard was a required player and was adamant Goddard would not be put up for trade to secure draft selections.

I see Goddard as a very durable player and I honestly expect him to still be playing quality footy in his mid-30's... he's just got that ideal body type for this sport.
Would hate to see him play another 10 seasons somewhere else.
I'm confident about his durability in the game.
Give him 5 years I say! :)

I listened to Robbo on SEN today and he seems pretty confident that as long as a decent deal is able to be nutted out BJ is staying.

I'm pretty surprised as all the indications so far have seemed to point towards leaning, but no complaints here :thumbsu:

give him 5 years and make him captain
Not captain material for mine, there's no doubting his passion but he needs to cool down his temper.
A captain needs to be level headed, and although Roo is a great leader sometimes he isn't that level headed either, I see Lenny as our spiritual leader.
McEvoy to be next captain I think, never cracks the shits, just goes about his business every week and is already in the leadership group.

I think McEvoy would be a very good captain, but It makes it very to be the leader when your not in the top 3 players at the club.

Hell, Nick Maxwell probably isn't even in the top 22 players at his club
I think Cameron Ling showed that you don't have to be in the top 3 to be a great captain

You've got a point. But before becoming a captain he should be able to regularly beat his opponents

He can't do this yet, but he is still young and not at his prime

Still think letting him know we'd love him to stay on twitter would be nice sentiment?

He quite often retweets fan contact....

@bjbjgoddard18

#pleasestaybj

He wants to stay, let's make him welcome?

Still no takers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, and I'd love him to get the captaincy, more reasons to why he should than shouldn't.

I see Goddard as a very durable player and I honestly expect him to still be playing quality footy in his mid-30's... he's just got that ideal body type for this sport.
Would hate to see him play another 10 seasons somewhere else.
I'm confident about his durability in the game.
Give him 5 years I say! :)

i would not give him 5 years. either 3 or maybe at the most 4. You never know what happens see A Hamil

Giving captaincy to BJ might be what 'matures' him out of the hot headedness.

No doubt Ben is captaincy material, but i think he's still another captaincy stint away from being ready to take the role on, still has his own game to learn first. No need to thrust it on him when we have so many golden options. Would be totally comfortable with any one of BJ/Chips/Dal taking the C after Roo.

i think Roo is the perfect captain. A captain needs to show close to 100% effort more than any one else and lead by example and do it every week. Which is what Roo does. Unfortunately I hate to say it, cause i love the guy but this year and a lot of last year Goddard faded in and out of games. Not captain material IMO.
As far as him going. It would be better if he stays, but if he went and we say secured a Nic Nat type draftee for him, I wouldn't be crying either. Money ball.

i think Roo is the perfect captain. A captain needs to show close to 100% effort more than any one else and lead by example and do it every week. Which is what Roo does. Unfortunately I hate to say it, cause i love the guy but this year and a lot of last year Goddard faded in and out of games. Not captain material IMO.
As far as him going. It would be better if he stays, but if he went and we say secured a Nic Nat type draftee for him, I wouldn't be crying either. Money ball.

Just my opinion here.

BJ has been playing a position in Fisher and Gwilts absence that sees him dependent on how the team is trending.

Looking forward to him going back to where he plays best, where he sees fit, being the game changer, the guy who has the ability to decide the trend.

Sam Fisher ought be our next captain..

Just my opinion here.

BJ has been playing a position in Fisher and Gwilts absence that sees him dependent on how the team is trending.

Looking forward to him going back to where he plays best, where he sees fit, being the game changer, the guy who has the ability to decide the trend.

I still think Goddard would be a good captaincy option. He is the right age to take over from Riewoldt, McEvoy might be a good future captain but is still too young and not established well enough as a player yet while the likes of Fisher, Hayes and Dal Santo are probably too old now to be long term captains.

Goddard has matured quite a lot in recent years and isn't as angry and petulant on the field as he once was and I don't really see that being a huge issue anymore. Giving him the captaincy might help him to mature further and also improve his own game which seems to have stagnated a bit recently. He has a lot of other good qualities that would make him a good captain, like the ability to inspire the side with great bits of play, he would also demand the respect of the younger players and is someone they would want to follow and he speaks well in the media and would be a good face for the club.

Of course that all depends on whether he decides to stay at St Kilda but I'm reasonably confident he will stay from what I've heard recently.

i think the captaincy might actually straighten goddard out a bit.

it has worked wonders for g ablett. g ablett now accepts he cant keep socializing after games and has to be a leader around the club.

if he doesnt work out, give it to one of the other up comers. dal might go well with the captaincy!!1

I'd be surprised if he left St. Kilda that it wasn't for Carlton or Geelong. Geelong are advertising their cap room, a top liner would still give them another premiership tilt, etc. Carlton are two or three players short of a premiership team, reportedly have a bit of cap room, and we all know who he barracked for as a child (though I find that to be overrated as Collingwood would have 50 premierships by now if they attracted all their childhood fans)...

There's no crap room at Carlton, it's oosing out everywhere, and spilling into your performance on the footy field... oh sorry, I misread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back