Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even putting aside his statistical performances it's his attitude and demeanor on the field that fries my nuts.

I don't remember if he is in the leadership group this past season or not but if he is his lack of heart and leadership is an indictment to his attitude.

That article was based on last season. Grundy was still on his old contract that significantly undervalued his output for the past 3 years.

That $625k p.a old contract looks absolutely bang on IMO and should be what he is still on.

We have committed too much of our cap to an area of least impact. Metaphorically our bang for buck is horrendous.

In hindsight I really wish the club had of traded him to Adelaide. We probably could have gotten O’Brien and a extreme top end pick in a trade scenario.

A genuine champion 1st ruck makes the midfield stand tall because he's there to help out and keep them safe - not Grundy - ball hits the ground and he sulks if he has to chase.

OVER IT.

Mids and a key forwards win flags, we paid Grundy like he's Carey.
In 2018 and 19 he was essentially a B+ inside midfielder as well as being an A-grade ruck, that's why he got paid so much. He's still one of our only mids who wins contested footy and tackles. I think we should see how he goes under a new coach before trading

One wonders if the carry-on would be so dramatic if he was on $750-800k, rather than 900k.

He's a little over-paid, but earned the contract coming off two best and fairests and two All-Australian seasons.

Well documented that he struggled in the bubble last year and this year he's been one of, if not the best ruck in the comp by most statistical measures.

Grundy is the least of our problems.

One wonders if the carry-on would be so dramatic if he was on $750-800k, rather than 900k.

He's a little over-paid, but earned the contract coming off two best and fairests and two All-Australian seasons.

Well documented that he struggled in the bubble last year and this year he's been one of, if not the best ruck in the comp by most statistical measures.

Not so - ignore the statistics for the moment and concentrate on the attitude.

The petulant head toss when he realises he will have to chase is a dead giveaway of a player that simply doesn't care.

That sort of attitude is corrosive and shouldn't be tolerated.

This is pretty much where I sit too. In a competition that has seen guys like Brad Hill, Zac Williams and Jack Martin get a boatload Grundy earning $900-950k isn't the end of the world

Probably the biggest issue for the new coach to work through.

Even when he was struggling he tried, I'm not a Brodie 'hater' - I just hate the contract.

Recently he genuinely seems to be turning his nose up at the required effort, which is probably the worst sign of all.

Yeah I’m a big supporter and even I’m concerned by his past 6 weeks. If it were possible that he could be traded I’d say he’s checked out on not just 2021! Good luck to Wright and the next senior coach on this one…

It’s the 7 years. He’d need to be on $600k for me to justify that length of contract.

Not so - ignore the statistics for the moment and concentrate on the attitude.

The petulant head toss when he realises he will have to chase is a dead giveaway of a player that simply doesn't care.

That sort of attitude is corrosive and shouldn't be tolerated.

Sure mate, you may have seen a poor moment or two in a throw-away game at the ass-end of a throw-away season.

Grundy changed the standards for fitness for his position, for tackling and for second efforts. I don't think he has a 'corrosive' attitude problem - I think that's a ridiculous exaggeration.

Sure mate, you may have seen a poor moment or two in a throw-away game at the ass-end of a throw-away season.

Grundy changed the standards for fitness for his position, for tackling and for second efforts. I don't think he has a 'corrosive' attitude problem - I think that's a ridiculous exaggeration.
Well we certainly disagree then in my book NO petulance is allowable because of the message it sends to those he is supposed to be providing an example to.

If you're happy to accept third rate performances from a player of his undoubted quality then we have nothing to discuss.

Last reply.

I wonder if GWS would entertain a deal where we swap Grungy for Coniglio who is way out of favor at GWS and on a slightly smaller contract:think::think:
There are 25+ players at GWS that you would take over Grundy atm that would provide more output. F?ck I'd even swap him for a couple of the canteen staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think that kind of demeanour was isolated to yesterday’s game, I don’t think you have been watching him very closely the last 2 years.

The real reason why I am saying that he should be traded is purely based upon the contract numbers.
Grundy is just not worth the money he is on - his contract takes up too much of the overall contract numbers.
The problem we have is the other AFL teams know that we need to move him to get space back so we really have zero bargaining position.
Reality is we will need to another young players to get a team to take him - but sometimes you just need to take the hit and move on.

The real reason why I am saying that he should be traded is purely based upon the contract numbers.
Grundy is just not worth the money he is on - his contract takes up too much of the overall contract numbers.
The problem we have is the other AFL teams know that we need to move him to get space back so we really have zero bargaining position.
Reality is we will need to another young players to get a team to take him - but sometimes you just need to take the hit and move on.
We seem to be continually in the position of having to take these hits for SFA in return: Beams, Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips. And now possibly Grundy. It’s infuriating and depressing at the same time that we have a very, very ordinary playing list, yet are still maxed out salary cap wise.

Agree. I think generally he's been fine. Did drop his head in the last fortnight though.

Agree. I think generally he's been fine. Did drop his head in the last fortnight though.
Not only in the last fortnight, he has had good periods in the last 2 seasons but overall he's well down.

He is far from the least of our problems. The thought that his petulant, sulky demeanor is being observed by the young kids coming in to the club is a disgrace.
I can only hope people are ripping into him behind closed doors. I think of the way Buckley publically berated Jarrod Witts on more than one occasion I am bemused by the free pass given to a much more experienced player.

Yes he dropped his head and his body language wasn't great in the last two weeks when we got belted.

But he's not the only one. Sidebottom, Adams and most of our senior leaders also failed to give the second efforts required and look overly motivated. It's just unfortunately what happens when you're a rebuilding team playing dead rubbers at the end of the season getting belted in empty stadiums with no coach to play for.

And if it's a money issue, we still definitely got more value out of Grundy's contract this year than Sidebottom, Adams, Howe and Pendles. Unless we plan on trading out half our senior side?

We need to hold back on the vitrol to Grundy just because we think he might be $100k overpaid. Still rather overpay a Grundy than to have two Beams/Wells/Mayne/Cox/Phillips type contracts on $500k+ p.a.

Let's see how he performs next year with a new coach and some certainty in the direction of the club. I'm willing to back him in. He's a club champion and a proven star. We have short memories.

Yes he dropped his head and his body language wasn't great in the last two weeks when we got belted.

But he's not the only one. Sidebottom, Adams and most of our senior leaders also failed to give the second efforts required and look overly motivated. It's just unfortunately what happens when you're a rebuilding team playing dead rubbers at the end of the season getting belted in empty stadiums with no coach to play for.

And if it's a money issue, we still definitely got more value out of Grundy's contract this year than Sidebottom, Adams, Howe and Pendles. Unless we plan on trading out half our senior side?

We need to hold back on the vitrol to Grundy just because we think he might be $100k overpaid. Still rather overpay a Grundy than to have two Beams/Wells/Mayne/Cox/Phillips type contracts on $500k+ p.a.

Let's see how he performs next year with a new coach and some certainty in the direction of the club. I'm willing to back him in. He's a club champion and a proven star. We have short memories.
Payment has nothing to do with it - his demeanor is SHT and that's not acceptable on ANY payment.

What's a half-decade of evidence worth in the face of a couple of games?

The salary cap stuff up is about past contracts and payments and money being pushed into the future from those past contracts.

I think the most plausible explanation of how we stuffed up so badly is that we built incentives and bonuses into the contracts of low and middling players. They were too big and too many hit them when we had an unexpectedly awesome year in 2018.

But regardless, if you believe the rumours regarding contracts, in 2018-2020, when Grundy was twice All Australian and won our B & F twice, he was paid less than Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Howe, Wells, Adams, JDG in some or all of those years and was on similar money to Cox, Phillips, Crisp, WHE, Beams, Mayne in some or all of those years. And then you've got guys like Greenwood, Aish, Shaz who were all suppisedly on decent money at stages.

Grundy's contracts haven't been the issue. His current one may become one in the future though if he can't maintain a bloody high standard.

His current one is now never mind the future.

7 years @ 950k should never of been even considered.

If it was 950, 950, 750, 750, 600, 600, 600. Then the length would be less issue and he is on near 750k per year over the period.

Which was about right, but hurting us less as he ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back