Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know your pulling the piss but Dusty has hardly played finals and is made to look a lot better by being surrounded by spuds. I'd still take Ablett, Danger and Judd over him any day of the week.
Okay, has played in finals 4 out of the last 5 years... and that team of spuds just won the grand final.
I like to watch Dusty play don't get me wrong here, but the frustrating thing is watching moron opposition players still try and tackle his body whilst being stiff armed. Coaches ffs train your team to grab that arm and reef it out of the socket !
That is obviously harder said than done, not easy grabbing an arm, especially when the tackler is most likely not as strong. Adelaide double teamed him well, but then he dished off to the spare man.... hense the Norm Smith.

Wins the brownlow, coaches award, premiership, norm smith, and every other award he could possibly win. Your comment can only be a troll.

No, I just think Dangerfield is the better player. If Danger played the same amount of games as Dusty he would've won the brownlow and coaches award. Both are incredible players I just have Danger slightly ahead.

No, I just think Dangerfield is the better player. If Danger played the same amount of games as Dusty he would've won the brownlow and coaches award. Both are incredible players I just have Danger slightly ahead.

Martin played 1 more game. In that one extra game Dangerfield would have needed a BOG to draw the Brownlow.

Martin played 1 more game. In that one extra game Dangerfield would have needed a BOG to draw the Brownlow.

My mistake you are correct. If Dangerfield wasn't ineligible he would've polled 3 in his round 22 game imo. It doesn't matter anyway you can't judge players on how well they poll in the brownlow. They are both amazing players and how you think I'm a troll because I have Dangerfield ahead I have no idea.

Op doesn't seem to have a memory that stretches further back than this month.

Dusty is a beast but has a lot more to prove before he's in the same breath as GAJ. He will end up in the tier below with guys like Judd, Franklin, Voss, Cousins, Goodes etc. etc. but he is still behind all these players.

You can hate other clubs, even other players in those clubs but there are some players that regardless of your allegiance you just have to admire them.

Cyril Rioli, Buddy Franklin, Gary Ablett (both of them) etc, each team has 1, maybe 2 or if they're lucky, perhaps 3. Unless it's North Melbourne and Carlton of course ;)

Not even close. Very good player but not top 50. Completely reliant on guys like Cotchin to pick up defensive slack. Like GAJ a front runner with little or no defensive game. Matthews wipes the floor with, and another 50 do too. The media hype around him is huge because he's a story - none of that counts in a sober assessment of the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can be Richmonds GOAT
I dont think he will be the AFL's GOAT.

He would need to win 3-4 more flags and a couple more MVPS, Brownlows & AA's
More flags wont make him a greater player any more than winning this year's flag made him goat. Flags are a team award; Tony Lockett and Gaz Sr aren't lesser players because their overall team couldn't get the job done. Obviously premiership teams need great players but it's not a straightforward equation.

So another few more seasons of doing the one thing that no other player has been able to do until Martin this year and that is win almost every award there is available?

Another few seasons of excellence. He doesn't have to win everything by any stretch but his resume to date is two great seasons and a couple of good ones. We are talking about ranking him above players like Matthews and Stewart and Skilton all of whom had 10 plus outstanding seasons.

Another few seasons of excellence. He doesn't have to win everything by any stretch but his resume to date is two great seasons and a couple of good ones. We are talking about ranking him above players like Matthews and Stewart and Skilton all of whom had 10 plus outstanding seasons.

"Dustin Martin's superb form made him a candidate for All-Australian selection in just his second season." http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2011-halftime-report-20110614-1g23n.html

"A champion in the making" (second season): http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/925427/a-champion-in-the-making/

"DUSTIN Martin has been likened in recent weeks to Mark Ricciuto, Leigh Matthews" (season season): http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/young-tiger-on-prowl-20110624-1gjgs.html

Kicked 33 goals to finish 3rd in the B&F behind Deledio/Cotchin in his 2nd season.

Dusty has always shown patches of GOAT material, but I'd argue he's just been inconsistent. That's totally different to being a good player who has a couple of great seasons - it means he's always been capable of GOATness but hasn't had the ability to maintain the rage for long enough, and now he has.

Moving forward, it's therefore highly likely he'll keep it up.

Not even close. Very good player but not top 50. Completely reliant on guys like Cotchin to pick up defensive slack. Like GAJ a front runner with little or no defensive game. Matthews wipes the floor with, and another 50 do too. The media hype around him is huge because he's a story - none of that counts in a sober assessment of the guy.

The AFL likes to create media noise.... that bum Martin is just a very good footballer. Not in the best 20 players since 2000.

Seems to be a thread on GOAT every new season. Danger, Ablett, Judd, Buddy, Fyfe etc etc. He's a great player and has the potential to be one of the best, but he'll need to maintain his 2017 level for another 5 years to get even close to Ablett SNR, Matthews, Skilton etc.

I hope he does because he's awesome to watch. The thing that concerns me is his pace. His power will always be there, but in a game which is getting faster by the year, his pace could drop away quickly and like Dangerfield, I'm not sure his disposal is good enough to cover this like an Ablett Jnr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back