Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it is a low bar but I thought that was Mullins best game so far.. I would still like him to go back to the VFL and have him play midfield and play a more attacking role.
He didn't do heaps, but this was definitely his best game.

I like that he took it on a bit more. Gives me hope that he'll turn into a solid player with time. But probably agree he'd be better to play a few VFL games and try to attack.

To be honest Ginnivan is not judged fairly by umpires. They ignored at least too blatant head high tackles yesterday. Selwood (not comparing them as players) had to deal with this later in his career.
Ginnivan uses a different technique from Selwood’s and its a more clearcut form of free kick milking for mine, he also uses it at every interaction he has- Selwood didn’t actually do that despite the oppositions’ whines. And Selwood went after the hard ball, all the time- Ginnivan isn’t trying to win hard balls. Also I thought quite a few hawks tried to duck whenever they got tackled.
And anyway- stuff the hawks. Ginnivan is going to cop plenty of disdain I’d have thought.

I know it is a low bar but I thought that was Mullins best game so far.. I would still like him to go back to the VFL and have him play midfield and play a more attacking role.
Easily his best game, far more composed and his kicking was a lot more confident. For me I always look at little pieces of special play that show what the player could become, the bit for Oisin, which has been spoken about previously but deserves another mention, where he ran past everyone with speed collected the ball and then hit Blitz lace out on the wing was speeeeecccial!

He has competition for that title in his own forward line. Going to be the only thing they have a shot at winning for a while
It's a bane of modern sports. New players look to get their visibility up to get endorsements or notoriety that translates into bigger contracts. They act like knobs hoping they will get more mentions. Good or bad press, it doesn't seem to matter. Get your name out there. If they actually have an interesting personality to go with the ego, they might have a chance of a career in some sort of media when they crash out of their sport.

Yesterday was something else .WOW.

The footy 🚆 train went missing from Waun ponds was meant to leave at 12.30 odd.
Then the next train rocked up..while the other was was nowhere to be seen.
Train was totally packed.

Ended up getting to the G abit later than normal.
Got some seats ....wow great first Q ...then what happened in the second Q..?
Then back at it again in the 3rd Q.....then bang game stopped...in the rain thurder no thurder break seen 2 streakers and 13 mex waves .
Some cats Karen telling a Hawks guy off who bearly said any swear words ...oh I got kids ..

Then after Hawks looked dangerous in the start of the last cats to strong in the end.

Then getting home was uneventful trains were prob the worst not stopping at our stop..or going missing of the screen.
Finally got home around 10pm ..

It's a bane of modern sports. New players look to get their visibility up to get endorsements or notoriety that translates into bigger contracts. They act like knobs hoping they will get more mentions. Good or bad press, it doesn't seem to matter. Get your name out there. If they actually have an interesting personality to go with the ego, they might have a chance of a career in some sort of media when they crash out of their sport.
Or maybe he just has a personality. Jacko was busy being a dickhead years before endorsements

Or maybe he just has a personality. Jacko was busy being a dickhead years before endorsements
Might very well be true for a couple of them, but you see so much of it across a lot of different codes. Probably just enhances a particular part of their natural personality. I see it a lot more in US football, getting that camera time after stock standard plays. I wonder how many, if any, footy players work on their celebrations. :)

I had a whiz through the oppo forums this morning and loved the number of Magpie supporters wishing they had Ollie back or how he "got away". A little bit of sarcasm and resentment, but also a lot of seemingly genuine "well @#$&, he's a fantastic player" undercurrent there now.

They knew how good he is, which is why there was so much angst when he left. They also got Bobby Hill for basically nothing, so swings and roundabouts.

(FWIW if I could choose Henry or Hill for the next decade I’d choose Henry every day of the week, so we win).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not normally my go, but just can't leave it unsaid. That commentary was nauseating all day.

I know Geelong going well doesn't sell papers, and telling the everyday fan at home that Geelong have got another 10 years of contending ahead of them with the kids is the last thing they want to hear...but come on.

You know it's bad when Hodgey - A Hawthorn champion - is actually the most balanced when it comes to his comments. BT & JB despise us, and apart from the above, I just can't see why.
BT is only suited to radio which is less formal than TV. He's a bit like Roy and HG doing the rugby where its more acceptable to talk rubbish and try and be funny on that format.
But on television i feel like the producers tell him what to say and it just falls flat. The commentators have been shithouse since Bruce Macevaney and Dennis Commetti left. I even prefer Dunstall and Brereton to BT

Can we just pump the brakes on Conway a little?

I thought he played well for a second-game ruckman, but let's keep it in perspective - he kept Meek honest and had a few good moments, but Meek did win the ruck battle overall... and he's Lloyd Meek, not Sean Darcy, Max Gawn, Tim English or Jarrod Witts.

For my mind, he did enough to keep his spot, and has a really good set of hands, but there's a fair way to go as well.

This board does this all the time - wanting a much-hyped young player to succeed so badly that an ok performance must be talked up as excellent. He was decent, and that's more than enough at this early stage in his career.
People are excited because we havent had an A grade ruck since Ottens.

Seems the new Hawks thing is to carry on after kicking a goal like you've nailed an important lead stretching goal late in a Grand Final, but you are 5+ goals down, is the new trend.
I know they play for the hawks so a "close" game IS a 5 goal loss but seriously? ******* embarrassing.
Since when is a 36 point defeat an 'honourable loss'? Listening to Sam Mitchell you would think they only lost by a goal

I agree it was his best game.
But I actually had the opposite thought - with Bews maybe not getting back to his previous level of performance as small defender they should just keep Mullin in the AFL side from now and see him prosper there.
There's a role for him. He obviously has the skills, great speed, and looks physically ready for the rigors of the game. It's just learning the role, bit by bit, week by week.
We don't need him to be a star, and having watched a little bit of the vfl, I don't know why we would expect him to get to practise more attacking aspects to the game in that team/league moreso than in the afl side.
What I really liked about his game on Monday was he was looking to get involved not just in the traditional aspects of the game but also the 1 percenters. The shepherding, protecting the ball, soccering, flying the flag for a teammate. That sort of thing showed me he was feeling at home out there. And it also made me think that for him to understand how he can be a critical cog in a really high-functioning team is probably a much better thing for his development right now than to keep slogging it out with and against lower-tier players.

Might very well be true for a couple of them, but you see so much of it across a lot of different codes. Probably just enhances a particular part of their natural personality. I see it a lot more in US football, getting that camera time after stock standard plays. I wonder how many, if any, footy players work on their celebrations. :)
The US really loves that kinda thing, right down to trash talk

Since when is a 36 point defeat an 'honourable loss'? Listening to Sam Mitchell you would think they only lost by a goal
From a Hawthorn point of view, honestly, I’d take that. We didn’t win that game through effort, or tactical adherence - we won it by sheer class forward of centre and exceptional goalkicking. They can’t match that at the moment and they had a good side on the back foot for a lot of that game.

To be honest Ginnivan is not judged fairly by umpires. They ignored at least too blatant head high tackles yesterday. Selwood (not comparing them as players) had to deal with this later in his career.
He's the boy who cried wolf. He's only got himself to blame.

They're completely different cases, but if Joel suddenly stropped getting free kicks I doubt he'd be complaining, as he understands that's the adjustment the umpires have had to make.

The reality is if you're ducking & diving several times a game, the 1 or 2 legitimate free kicks that are there aren't going to be paid. You've already set your precedent.

If he gets it out of his game for a season or two then everyone (including the umpires) will move on and treat him like anyone else...but I'm not holding my breath.

I had a whiz through the oppo forums this morning and loved the number of Magpie supporters wishing they had Ollie back or how he "got away". A little bit of sarcasm and resentment, but also a lot of seemingly genuine "well @#$&, he's a fantastic player" undercurrent there now.
They chose to play Ash Johnson, they made their choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Back