Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I KNEW this would be the reply :rolleyes:

I never compared Ginnivan and Selwood as footballers. OBVIOUSLY, they are light years apart. Selwood was one of the all time greats. Ginnivan is a young inconsistent small forward who hasn't even played 50 games.

I simply pointed out that Ginnivan uses the same method that Selwood employed hundreds of times over his career of hooking the tackler's arm up over his shoulder in order to stooge the umpire into giving him an illegitimate high tackle free.

I think it's really funny that people are so vocal about booing a 21yo flog who has played just 45 games and gets ZERO favours from the umps.

Kevin Bartlett, Matthew Lloyd and Joel Selwood were 3 greats of game who made a very nice side-hustle of milking free kicks - lots and lots and lots of free kicks - which is the reason why opposition fans were so infuriated by them and booed & heckled them every time they milked another free.

BTW, I'm not sooking about Ginnivan being booed. He deserves it. He brings on it himself with his "look at me" antics and appearance. He's a bit of a lairy showman and a villain.

I also think AFL fans have the right to boo whoever they want, whenever they want. It's all good theatre. Mostly fun. Nothing to shed tears over, FFS. It really pisses me off when tossers in the media act all high and mighty about fans booing. Those arseholes don't pay a cent to get in. They are parasites. The fans are the lifeblood of AFL footy. They are the reason why the media stars and the players get to live their privileged lives. /rant :D

Anyway, that's enough from me on Jack f**kin Ginnivan. There is way too much focus on him.

Good win on Monday. Looks like the Cats are right in the mix for yet another Top 4 finish. God damn it... You guys never let up. Just when I thought this era was finally over after the dismal 2023 season, you rebound back into flag calculations. Amazing!

I envy Geelong's superior recruiting and player development. Your players just seem to be more composed and way smarter than our players across the board. They make good decisions and and they make the game look easy.
You made good points and it wasn't worthy of a reply. to defend yourself. I know where you were coming from. Interesting perspectives from a Hawks supporter.

He’s just here because he finds it funny folks.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Yeah, I KNEW this would be the reply :rolleyes:

I never compared Ginnivan and Selwood as footballers. OBVIOUSLY, they are light years apart. Selwood was one of the all time greats. Ginnivan is a young inconsistent small forward who hasn't even played 50 games.

I simply pointed out that Ginnivan uses the same method that Selwood employed hundreds of times over his career of hooking the tackler's arm up over his shoulder in order to stooge the umpire into giving him an illegitimate high tackle free.
There is one very key difference: Selwood did it back when there were no caveats in the rules about ducking, lifting the arm or dropping the knee/shoulder. Then they changed the rules, and while it wasn't an overnight switch, he did stop the dropping of the knees and the ducking over time. (Kept flipping the arm up, though).

Anyway, to my mind, it's ok to play for a free like that if you can do it, but then you lose the ability to complain if you legitimately get tackled high and don't get the free kick.

No. Booing drove one of the best and fairest players of our game to quit. It wasn't fun. It wasn't good theatre.
It wasn't really about booing.

I don't have an issue with a chorus of pantomime "boos" following a particular incident or the first time a former player touches the ball or similar. Selwood copping a round of boos for a head-high free kick, Wayne Carey against North, Darren Milburn against Carlton. But I have never, ever, ever seen it weaponised like it was against Goodes.

It wasn't really about booing.

I don't have an issue with a chorus of pantomime "boos" following a particular incident or the first time a former player touches the ball or similar. Selwood copping a round of boos for a head-high free kick, Wayne Carey against North, Darren Milburn against Carlton. But I have never, ever, ever seen it weaponised like it was against Goodes.
Thought it was really telling when he got a cheer from the faithful down at KP
Says a lot about us

Thought it was really telling when he got a cheer from the faithful down at KP
Says a lot about us
I don't know that I would clap us on the back too hard - with the build up across that week, everything came to a boiling point and it would have been socially unacceptable to continue the chorus.

I was at that game - even around me, there were a fair few muttered words of dissent going on, and the crowd absolutely cheered its **** off every time his direct opponent (a young Kolo) got so much as a spoil in.

Having watched the replay, still not sure how good we are. We are obviously missing out 2 best mids. At the start of the year I was optimistic, thinking we could be in the 4-6 ladder range. The teams we have beaten are 1-5 in their other games not including Geelong games. First quarter included 4 great goals that would normally be about 25% chance. I think we can improve and the next few weeks against Bulldogs, Brisbane, Melbourne and Carlton will tell us a lot. Hopefully we get Danger and maybe Guthrie back for the Melb and/or Carlton. Still, 3-0 is better that 0-3, so Go Cats!

Having watched the replay, still not sure how good we are. We are obviously missing out 2 best mids. At the start of the year I was optimistic, thinking we could be in the 4-6 ladder range. The teams we have beaten are 1-5 in their other games not including Geelong games. First quarter included 4 great goals that would normally be about 25% chance. I think we can improve and the next few weeks against Bulldogs, Brisbane, Melbourne and Carlton will tell us a lot. Hopefully we get Danger and maybe Guthrie back for the Melb and/or Carlton. Still, 3-0 is better that 0-3, so Go Cats!
The difference between when we had Bruhn and Conway in the guts vs when we didn’t, was pretty palpable.

There is one very key difference: Selwood did it back when there were no caveats in the rules about ducking, lifting the arm or dropping the knee/shoulder. Then they changed the rules, and while it wasn't an overnight switch, he did stop the dropping of the knees and the ducking over time. (Kept flipping the arm up, though).

Anyway, to my mind, it's ok to play for a free like that if you can do it, but then you lose the ability to complain if you legitimately get tackled high and don't get the free kick.
The difference for me is Selwood did it to break the tackle. Often the whistle blew when he was already free and it actually held up play and allowed defenders to get back when he got the free. Ginnivan is not breaking the tackle because if the whistle doesn’t blow he’s on the ground. One was breaking tackles, one is relying on a free kick.

He is still very good - the only concern I have these days is I think he can't kick quite as far as he used to, but still attempts long diagonal kicks that fall a bit short and turn over.
The main thing I noticed the last 2 years and quite a few times already this year is he is bodylining the ball something that a lot of players don't do, and theres been a few times in marking contests he does this and it knocks the ball forward of the contest. He did it against the Hawks too.
And in those contests if it gets out the back we are exposed to a counter.

I don't know if thats maturity or confidence in the body but I am a fan.

He is also smart enough not to kill someone doing it. During the Hawks game, might have been 3rd quarter he bodylined the ball and had the chance, if he wanted to, to absolutely smash through a Hawks player with a bump. And had he done that and knocked the Hawks player out he likely misses 3/4 weeks. But nope, gets the ball and pulls up and makes light contact to the Hawks player.

The difference between when we had Bruhn and Conway in the guts vs when we didn’t, was pretty palpable.
What Bruhn showed we saw flashes of, and I thought with a full season in the guts this year we would see his 1st quarter performance against the Hawks sometime next year.

If he puts up that sort of show against the Dogs for 3 quarters we win because he will smash their midfield. I also think we don't see a 1 kick match out of Atkins again this week.

If we get the same sort of output from Bruhn, Parfitt and Clarke (reviews were unnecessarily harsh on him, lots shit on his poor disposal yet missed his bullett pass assist from the centre stoppage for Cameron, and a few others that team mates dropped) this week, and hopefully get better games out of Close, Blicavs, Atkins and Cameron we will smash the Dogs this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you're not going the early crow about Conway, but I was surprised he only won around a dozen hitouts. It felt like he won more, but possibly because the ones he did win produced better quality clearances and/or stopped the Hawks from getting clean possession out of the middle?

Watching a replay of the game, how good was Mullin knocking that little rookie on his ass. The small Hawk forwards seemed to want to target Zuthrie and that instance was over the ball going OOB. They were puffing up and acting tough over that! Mullin sent that short guy flying. :laughv1: Like to see the boys backing each other up. Stewart's good too.
How can those tiny penises not be embarrassed by that display. They have to know beforehand if the opposition was susceptible to intimidation. And from little turds like them? :confusedv1:
Good umpiring about that, they were switched on to the Hawk tactics.

I know you're not going the early crow about Conway, but I was surprised he only won around a dozen hitouts. It felt like he won more, but possibly because the ones he did win produced better quality clearances and/or stopped the Hawks from getting clean possession out of the middle?
I feel like hitout wins aren’t that easy to identify in real time, to be fair.

Some pretty funny, clever, many true comments regarding Hawks’ players trying to stick it to Stewart, when Ginnivan pushed Kolo to the ground after a goal + Tommy saw the cheap shot king do it + shoved him.
Also Ginnivan sooking for free kicks.

1712107829073.png

“Apparently they all want to play for the cats and we’re all fighting over toms number 🤔
“Surprised Ginnivan wasn't pushing his head into Stewart looking for a free”
“Ginnivan starting the fight.
Stewart finishing it. Single-handedly 💪

“Mix Collingwood + Hawthorn + you get a d**kh**d that needs its head knocked off + Ginnavin is well + truly on his way what a W⚓🤔

“Learnt his craft at the Pies so Sam Mitchell didn't have to imprint his own thug craft on him”

“Needs Stewart to lay a ‘Scarlett’ on him like he did to Balantyne.”

“BT must love what he tastes like. The biased commentary was hilarious”

“Shouldve been HTB about eight times, the only way it'll change.”

“Ginni, Weightman and Papley belong on their own special team so we can put all our hate towards one team.”

46DB3B9F-3578-46EF-AC85-2F9CF765D5FD.jpeg B5D3DA24-AEC7-49B7-AFFC-3528108B8439.jpeg

“Spot on. Selwood uses his spare arm to try and evade the tackle and then move the ball on.

Ginnivan uses his spare arm to hold onto the tackler's arm to accentuate the contact and doesn't even try to move the ball on.

Like chalk and cheese.”

Of all the rivalry matches I have attended since 2008, today was finally the day I got a bite from a Hawks fan whilst 38 points down…

Of course - and of all f*****g people - he was defending Jack Ginnivan.

Because of course he was… fits in perfectly there.”

“Don’t worry they have Collingwood next week watch him get all the frees”

The difference for me is Selwood did it to break the tackle. Often the whistle blew when he was already free and it actually held up play and allowed defenders to get back when he got the free. Ginnivan is not breaking the tackle because if the whistle doesn’t blow he’s on the ground. One was breaking tackles, one is relying on a free kick.
Exactly. It annoyed me no end. He was away and had to return to the mark.

Watching a replay of the game, how good was Mullin knocking that little rookie on his ass. The small Hawk forwards seemed to want to target Zuthrie and that instance was over the ball going OOB. They were puffing up and acting tough over that! Mullin sent that short guy flying. :laughv1: Like to see the boys backing each other up. Stewart's good too.
How can those tiny penises not be embarrassed by that display. They have to know beforehand if the opposition was susceptible to intimidation. And from little turds like them? :confusedv1:
Good umpiring about that, they were switched on to the Hawk tactics.
That Watson kid looks like he suffers from angry small man syndrome

I'm hoping the low game time of Bruhn, Atkins and Parfitt has them fairly fresh for the Bulldogs match.

Clark had higher game time (70%), so maybe they'll consider resting him and giving Bowes a full game in midfield? I'd still be tempted to play all of them in some capacity, since Blicavs would be required to help Conway in ruck again (if they give him another shot). Clark as an impact sub?

Bulldogs don't have as many dangerous small forwards, so Mullin could have a rest:

FB: Z.Guthrie De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolodjashnij Stewart

C: Holmes Bruhn Dempsey
FOL: Conway Parfitt Atkins

HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Stengle

IC: Blicavs Bowes O'Connor Mannagh Clark(sub)

It's a daunting midfield challenge but we did beat them with a similar midfield at Marvel last year.
only criticism of that side is clark is not going to be depromoted for mannagh. He played well on Monday.

there has been a trend emerging that I think is very obvious, that the umpires are sensitive and red hot on looking to pay head high contact free kicks. A stack of them paid in 2024. The AFL is just terrified about concussion.... but then they need to be aware of encouraging players to draw and look for head high frees.... i feel we have shifted too far towards incentivising players.

I feel like hitout wins aren’t that easy to identify in real time, to be fair.

Yeah, that's fair. I'm purely going on a "felt like it" basis so it could've been just bias on my part.

Still, he was competitive if nothing else and once he gets his tank up, he'll be a solid ruck at worst. Hopefully he's not close to his ceiling yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Back