Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

They won their grand final and I will never forget their antics after that finals game at KP throwing around tissues and being flogs towards the supporters after the game

* them they will never win a flag
I tend to agree, they love their out of the arse stuff, and they've probably got the next best record at KP behind Sydney and GWS, having won in 2005, 2013, 2015 the last two seasons.

Then they'll go out and drop their dacks to some club at home and revert to type. They are an underachieving club, at least we do have four recent Flags.

But indeed they beat us fair and square today, we were bog ordinary sadly/

Season is basically done.

It's not the Geelong way, but surely we need to start looking to 2024 and if that means early ends to the year for players needing surgery then do it.

It's been a mess from the start, with injuries, poor form, poor preparation, loss of hunger (?) and the inconsistencies resulting from of all those factors. I've held out hope we'll sort it out, but it's pretty clear now that the season is a write off.

Shows just how many things need to go right to win a flag. Last year was a dream season, 2023 has been a relative nightmare.

If results go certain way etc we could finish as low as 15th.
Honestly if Hawkins and Blitz are out for the rest of the year, perhaps it's a good thing.

Perhaps we should look at getting into the discussion for Harley Reid.. Pick 4 & Future First or similar for Pick 1 this year..
No no no. We've never finished lower than 12th and we aren't tankers

Desperately need a key forward who can provide a contest ahead of the ball and can bring the ball to ground.

Play Neale for the rest of the season please

I tend to agree, they love their out of the arse stuff, and they've probably got the next best record at KP behind Sydney and GWS, having won in 2005, 2013, 2015 the last two seasons.

Then they'll go out and drop their dacks to some club at home and revert to type. They are an underachieving club, at least we do have four recent Flags.

But indeed they beat us fair and square today, we were bog ordinary sadly/
Got to love them puffing their chest out and laughing at posts in this thread …underachieving is being too nice to them in describing their club

If results go certain way etc we could finish as low as 15th.
Honestly if Hawkins and Blitz are out for the rest of the year, perhaps it's a good thing.

Perhaps we should look at getting into the discussion for Harley Reid.. Pick 4 & Future First or similar for Pick 1 this year..
Dam think of the pick we'll have!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart had to run up to give Stanley a spray.

I always thought giving Dangerfield captaincy would be a mistake. Best captains are usually:

A) Defenders because they see the whole ground from the dangerous end, and
B) Blokes who have done it the hard way or weren't gifted AFL careers - they never take it for granted and they know how hard it is for every player on the list from #1 to #44.

Maybe Stewart shouldn't have given Stanley a spray - not sure he had too many positives after that effort and it was likely his worse game in the Hoops

If the captaincy decision was down to Dangerfield & Stewart, it's hard to argue the right decision wasn't made

Prior to his injury, Dangerfield was close to the best player in the comp and leading from the front in our midfield

I'm not sure what would have made Stewart a better choice, and watching games like today I'm not sure he presented a good case

Stepping into the captaincy role after Selwood was never going to be easy, and Dangerfield has looked the right choice throughout the season

As for who makes good captains - Selwood is one of our greatest captains and not sure he meets either off your criteria

No no no. We've never finished lower than 12th and we aren't tankers
I do want Geelong to maintain their record of no bottom 4's since 1986, and never lower than 12th. But it might be a challenge as i'm not sure even monopoly money would make me back them to get within 50 pts of the Pies or Poort.

Paraphrasing Paul Keating, I tend to think this was the season we had to have. I think we were steeled to win it last year in a last ditched effort and together with the loss of Selwood’s leadership and the rest of the senior group being another year older, we’ve just tipped over the edge. The players to me look fatigued and lack the urgency and enthusiasm that was so apparent last year. A number of injuries hasn’t helped either but isn’t an excuse.

I think it’s time for a number of players now. Stanley, Smith and Tuohy are done. Duncan is close. Maybe one more year. Hawkins should consider going out whilst he still has some petrol in the tank.

I think we will be a bottom eight team for a few years now. We need time to add to our youth. A couple of A-quality young midfielders is critical.

"Cooked" really should be included in this post title.
Cameron is not on the same planet. Hawkins is the equivalent of watching a new-born elephant take its first steps.
The new/recent guys have regressed in skill and demeanor as the year progressed.
Stewart's coach asserted unbound freedom now sees him the villain, ie. his demand of the ball and his consequent decision making is outrageous.
I only enjoy watching Gary Rohan's speed now...but he's really pretty terrible at everything else.

I do want Geelong to maintain their record of no bottom 4's since 1986, and never lower than 12th. But it might be a challenge as i'm not sure even monopoly money would make me back them to get within 50 pts of the Pies or Poort.
As nice as that sounds in theory... if we are really struggling it's actually much better getting down to at least 13th..
In a compromised draw system where the bottom 6 teams get an easier draw etc..

One team was running hard today and it wasn't the Cats. Age is a factor but lack of effort is another factor. I think we fans thought Geelong would win comfortably and I think the players did too. Reminded me of the GWS game we lost at home.

That is the 2023 season done. It has been the worst I can ever remember from the point of view of injuries, so it seems fitting it ends with serious injuries to two more key players.

I hope Hawkins goes around next year and Cameron refinds his pre-concussion form. We really do need a young mid to come on (Clark or Knevitt perhaps) or find one in trade because the midfield is the major deficiency. Tanner Bruhn has shown some promising signs in there, and Atkins has a big heart, but we need more than that.
We need two quality mids so probably trade route. We need a bigger body bull and an accumulator. We need someone who can get 30 odd a week and another who can give us proper clearances. We don't have an accumulator and when you do it means you keep control of the ball, something we have struggled to do all season. Bring 2 good mids in, all of a sudden you have Danger and Atkins as the second string mids like last season where they should be at this point.
Clark, Knevitt and Bruhn are years away from being top quality, and we can't rely next year on the older players we currently have.
Not sure there's any free agents that fit our needs that aren't likely to re-sign with their clubs, and we don't really have the trade currency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 7 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back