Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw that too - I might be wrong, but didn't a similar incident cost him earlier in the year?

Anyway; good player, but I don't exactly miss him.

Big reason why the Cats weren't unhappy about seeing the back of him.

Joel Selwood tried mentoring him but his petulance and woe me attitude put him offside with the playing group at the time.

With the culture we've developed he was never going to last. At a club that thinks culture is what you find in a tub of yogurt, he'll keep getting games.

Last edited:
Yes, along with the other effort at the end, but I would have thought it’s pretty clear he has a lot more opportunities to do that, help out, chase with more intensity, more regularly. I don’t expect him to be Dangerfield or Atkins levels of desperation, I don’t think he’ll ever be that guy, but at the pointy end those kinds of efforts for more of the game can be the difference between going really deep or not.

I think he’s a high talent, I just wish he could add just a little more of that for more of the game. It’s not just him, even without being great in the air regularly, Neale might be able to keep Hawkins out (if he returns) if he also could bring the heat a bit more to stop the opposition waltzing it out on occasion which is where we look vulnerable - teams spreading out from our forward 50. Hawk can’t really do that any more.

The other guys those two are playing with (Close, Miers, Stengle, Rohan, Cameron etc.) aren’t necessarily all in the greatest form but they have risen to that level of intensity and done it when it counts.

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but these are rare opportunities and it would be a shame to not be at our very best this year, when with how things are falling we seem to have an unlikely shot at the whole thing.

Ollie Henry is a player who I was pretty harsh on at times in 2023 - Mr Blue Sky I called him; always plays as if we're 10 goals up, blithely and without concern.

I think he might have taken a few baby steps this year in his evolution; his 2023 was maybe a little more impactful but this year I think he has shown a stronger defensive inclination.

He's still young and he plays a weird position; I hold out some hope that in 4 years time he might be capable of pulling an Isaac Heeney and translate his skill and athleticism to a midfield role.

Not against on Orren Stephenson type as a back up, but I'm not that fussed. I know you're not a fan of him in the ruck, but I reckon SDK is the go until Conway is ready.

A ruck duo of Conway and SDK is my (wet) dream.
I still think SDK best position is a key defender... he will be a AA as key defender.. When SDK plays key defence it helps Kolodjashnij and Henry play better football...
Id be keen for Reidy for Fremantle as our mature age ruckman if Conway can't play

I still think SDK best position is a key defender... he will be a AA as key defender.. When SDK plays key defence it helps Kolodjashnij and Henry play better football...
Id be keen for Reidy for Fremantle as our mature age ruckman if Conway can't play

I dunno - I reckon Henry has played his best '24 football later on in the season season, from around the Essendon game onward, after SDK vacated the area.

I do like De Koning as a KD though; his '22 season will forever live in my memory as a high watermark for Geelong key defenders.

What a crazy game of footy when you consider that :-
Stengle Close Holmes did not bother the scoreboard
Jezza, Danger O'Henry kick long goals, missed 2 sitters
Dempsey also missed a sitter, and goal saving free.
Goal review clear goal overturned by umpires bad call.
Numerous dumb decisions, clangers and fumbles
Yet Cats found a way to win on pure determination.

Gotta love this team
Especially how the new guys stood up under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those Sandgropers can be feral at times... they have no issue slagging off injured opposition players.

2012? They've been at it a long time. Wet Toast, that is.
maybe cats_09 can update us on the Freo crowd today?

It was a gutsy win. I was very impressed with how the guys ground it out and kept the pressure up on their ball movers. Everyone performed pretty evenly across the park. But I loved the way Paddy lifted in the last quarter to get the team home. Max Holmes. Ollie Dempsy, and Zach Guthrie played well. They won all the disposal numbers, but we won the tackles 58/26, and that was the pressure we put on them. This is the Cats going into the finals. We may lack the polish in the midfield of other teams, but we will bring pressure to bring the game back on our terms and get you on the turnover/transition play.

Last edited:
CHAWKTS - would I be right to suggest that Rohan never got on the plane to come out west?

Just thinking about it, from all the players I've seen at the hotel, I don't remember seeing him

I’m fine with the gun (not that our players would do that).
It’s the sooking when he it goes against him in the contest, cost them a game earlier this year and he hasn’t learned?

Call me straight, but I'm never fine with the gun move in a public forum with kid's watching.
There's a million other ways to celebrate, like sinking a can coke/beer. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats sink Dockers by 11 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back