Preview Changes and pre-match discussion for Round 4 vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on need butters playing as a back line small would use his attributes of running at different angles and setting up play. He can tackle ok, ok endurance and be able to go with small crafty forwards.
This is actually a sort of interesting idea.

Long-term if we're gonna win a flag Butters absolutely has to have an impact in every part of the ground in about 3 years time. Wouldn't be the worst idea to have play in a role like this for his development, at least some of the time.

Williams is worth a try but from what I saw of Pasini he was no better than the rest of the Magpies on Saturday and he has had a fair lay off and may need a few SANFL games under the belt.

At least if we play a young ruck like Hayes we have an eye on the future. Scott Lycett is cooked and has no future.

It would be good to see our ruckman used as Dean Brogan was used by Choco. Broges used to drop back and take defensive marks across half back and O'Brien did the same for the Crows on Saturday. Meanwhile Scott Lycett didn't take a mark anywhere on the ground. If our ruckman took some defensive marks it would allow Allir to man up on any super talls. Maybe that sounds a bit too much like a plan and would not fit with Ken's thinking?

Hayes is capable of taking a mark or two but hasn't shown it at AFL level.
It's 100% how we are wanting Lycett to play. Saw him numerous times trying to make himself the kick behind play ruck. Problem is, Lycett has no footy IQ, he's just a contest ruck - as soon as the ball clears his immediate vicinity, he's useless. Was repeatedly standing in no man's land, or far too slow to try and cross ground to facilitate a switch.

The reason he had an impact in 2018 was because he was tagging the oppo ruck while Vardy played loose. So Lycett's opponent lead him to the ball all game, which is why it looked like he could read the play. But when told to play spare, like the past few weeks, he just doesn't know where to go.

Pretty bad that our coaches haven't realised this, and didn't have him just follow ROB all game to nullify his game.

Hello respected true Magpie supporters. I fear your long term campaign to boot Kenny Koala and the Koch out will stall this week.

Port has the wood over my mob and Horse still has them in the pre season.

Apologies in advance.

Hello respected true Magpie supporters. I fear your long term campaign to boot Kenny Koala and the Koch out will stall this week.

Apologies in advance.
Thank you for your contribution as the weekly 'my team is bad, you will win easy' opposition supporter. Please check your DMs for the info on how to collect your complimentary 'Yes We Ken' t-shirt and coffee mug pack. You are also in the draw to win a prized place in the dishlicker syndicate at the completion of the home and away season. Good luck

I like the idea of giving JHF a few games at HB and trialling Williams in the team for DBJ. It would be risky but there’s nothing to lose with the defence being as bad as they have been. It also means Butters gets more centre square time which he needs to get his season back on track.

I like the idea of giving JHF a few games at HB and trialling Williams in the team for DBJ. It would be risky but there’s nothing to lose with the defence being as bad as they have been. It also means Butters gets more centre square time which he needs to get his season back on track.

Let's also trial DBJ up forward. He's got an uncanny skill to always have at least 5 metres between him and any opponent, so who knows maybe that carries up forward and he kicks a bag ¯\(ツ)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams is gone. At best he takes Farrells spot, but he's a terrible 2 way runner so I just can't see how he will ever step up to the level. Unfortunately he has been a bust IMO.

I'd drop Houston for Williams. Athletically pretty similar players, like for like replacement.

Houston has had a rubbish start to the year and deserves a kick up the bum. At least Farrell has the excuse of being new to that role.

Ken is not bringing in young untried guys over the usual suspects (like Jonas and DBJ). He needs to win, or lose bravely, he cannot afford to blood and get experience in to those guys as he is not playing for the future.

I'd drop Houston for Williams. Athletically pretty similar players, like for like replacement.

Houston has had a rubbish start to the year and deserves a kick up the bum. At least Farrell has the excuse of being new to that role.
We won’t drop Houston. But I agree to an extent. His defensive intensity is pathetic.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Edit: I mean Houston has played below his potential, sure. But our defence is gonna suck no matter what if we can't drop TJ and DBJ when they are out of form.

Last edited:

Apologies in advance.
Pfft just bring the intensity and game will be over in the first quarter. I'm doubt our players have the mental strength and passion to save Ken from his inevitable demise.

Ken is not bringing in young untried guys over the usual suspects (like Jonas and DBJ). He needs to win, or lose bravely, he cannot afford to blood and get experience in to those guys as he is not playing for the future.

Something that worries me immensely is whether Carr will when given his chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back