Preview Changes and Preview Brisbane vs Ports @ Gabba, qualifying final thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evans is more in contention with Fantasia and Rioli for the small goalkicker role. McEntee more of our version of Beau McCreery who isn't there for the offensive capabilities.

This only hurts us if we don't have enough sources to goal already, and I think with our other smalls currently in good goal kicking form (23 goals between Spp/Rioli/DBJ the last 5 weeks) we're sorted there and can afford to prioritise a negating forward.

Evans is more in contention with Fantasia and Rioli for the small goalkicker role. McEntee more of our version of Beau McCreery who isn't there for the offensive capabilities.
The problem is we only play one of those players so they're all competing for 1 spot. Since moving DBJ forward in a fairly defensive role, we still have McEntee there in a purely defensive role. Then SPP is there to bring pressure and lock the ball in, and does hit the scoreboard, but I'm sure the coaches see that as a bonus.

Since it's all about time in forward half, we're only really playing Rioli as our goal kicking small forward. Then we struggle to kick goals.

Predictable changes. I just don’t see where our goals are going to come from to outscore Brisbane who will get a hold of us
Nope. Where have our goals come from this year - bearing in mind we are sitting just second on wins behind Collingwood?

We have got to the finals on the back of our forward defensive work led from our centreline brilliance and attacking half back line focussed on keeping the ball bottled up in our forward half. We will rely on that again.

Our biggest gap is as it has been all year - in our undersized back six. If we lose the ball out of the centre we will be slaughtered in our backline.

IMHO we win or lose this game from the centre and across field stoppages. Nothing has changed. It's our best bet with the squad we have.

Nope. Where have our goals come from this year - bearing in mind we are sitting just second on wins behind Collingwood?

We have got to the finals on the back of our forward defensive work led from our centreline brilliance and attacking half back line focussed on keeping the ball bottled up in our forward half. We will rely on that again.

Our biggest gap is as it has been all year - in our undersized back six. If we lose the ball out of the centre we will be slaughtered in our backline.

IMHO we win or lose this game from the centre and across field stoppages. Nothing has changed. It's our best bet with the squad we have.
How can anyone look at the ladder, points for and against, and think goalkicking is going to be our main issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is Fantasias career done at Port? No SANFL games left to press his case so it's hard to see him being picked in any final. Total bust of a pick up.

He hadn't kicked 7 goals in his last 3 AFL games when he came here.

I didn't even want him when we recruited him but since he got here he's exceeded all expectations. Unfortunately for him he's arrived at a club where performance doesn't matter as much as whether Chad Cornes likes you.
Im one of his biggest fans and remember defending the pick up

Its just the way of the land
Small forwards arent in a huge demand
Being the 3rd/4th small forward in a top 4 team is his level

Not a surprise any more but it still bears repeating, McEntee over Evans or Fantasia is absolutely pissweak gutless selection.

Evans should demand a trade. There are 17 other clubs out there who realise you win games by kicking more goals than the other team.

Our offensive game is in better shape than our defensive. Clearly they value what he contributes as a defensive forward.

This only hurts us if we don't have enough sources to goal already, and I think with our other smalls currently in good goal kicking form (23 goals between Spp/Rioli/DBJ the last 5 weeks) we're sorted there and can afford to prioritise a negating forward.
McEntee our version of Beau McCreery?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Yeah there really is no way that you can take it too far - its quite possibly the stupidest comment ever made on the eve of finals in any sport on the planet.

What does the analogy even mean? Were the children who got cancer from radiation poisoning decades after our football opponents? Are the innocent citizens who died slowly from treatable burns because the medical help had been blown to smithereens Port Adelaide fans (actually ok that part sort of fits)?

You blokes want to complain at everything

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unfortunately Fantasia is more likely to cost you a game than win it. At our best this year we played a system and replaced like for like with injuries. Everyone here seems to forget that we know how to win. We've kicked plenty enough goals without risking a position on a guy who is as much (if not more) likely to do an injury in his first 5 minutes than kick a bag. Like it or not, McEntee has been part of that winning system.

We need a return to form for guys like DBJ, Finlayson and Marshall. AA will need to have a strong game.

Probably been mentioned many times, but worth repeating

Brisbane Lions at the Gabba since mid 2019
Last 53 games: 47 W and 6 L

Regular season: 45 W and 2 L
Finals: 2 W and 4 L
It’s a fair point. We never lost a final at the gabba in our glory years with an average winning margin of from memory 40-50 points. It’s a long way from that

I think if port start well and are in touch we could get very tight

I am hopeful a good start for us might actually relax us but we haven’t been starting well at the gabba lately

How ‘tall’ would you guys say Lord plays? I’ve seen a bit of him, seems he can take a grab but is still raw. I suspect he will get Lester who will be giving away height and relying on bodying him.

Port are playing one extra tall so could stretch us - but might help us not get outrun too badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back