Preview Changes for R10 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

You keep missing the point.
He plays the role that the coaching staff want him to play.
To suggest that Hutchings could play that role is laughable.

The big worry with Masten is essentially this:

Masten can run and play alright on the outside and the outside only
Thus, the opposition looks to find an opponent for him that can run just as well and can defend
Meaning Masten is forced to get his ball by either winning contested possessions or a 1 on 1s against his direct opponent.
Which he cant.

If you want an example this week, Isaac Smith plays on the wing as well and is just as fit, can run just as well, is far better one on one, better with the contested ball, overhead, and hits the scoreboard more often.

If Hawthorn manage to get this match up (and trust me, they will be looking to potentially exploit it), we will see how Chris stacks up.

Filling a role is all well and good, but if that role is nullified and you have no more strings to your bow so to speak (ie, you are a midfielder who cant play foward when you are being shut out of the game), your benefit to the team structure becomes greatly diminished.

No. I don't think so.

Again, I haven't said that. I am merely saying it is an open question of who brings more to the table. Your response is to insist that Masten is irreplaceable. That seems overly narrow to me.
I don't think we can agree on this.
The point I make is everyone brings something different to the table and the coaches utilize these different skills to create a strong team environment.
We have seen this in the past with some of our lesser skilled players fulfilling a role. Rowan Jones comes to mind. Priddis had his limitations, Ashley Hansen and even Carl Langdon all added something in their day.
Lets leave it to the powers that be.
I will be happy with any decision that they make.

Thus, the opposition looks to find an opponent for him that can run just as well and can defend
Meaning Masten is forced to get his ball by either winning contested possessions or a 1 on 1s against his direct opponent.
Which he cant.

If you want an example this week, Isaac Smith plays on the wing as well and is just as fit, can run just as well, is far better one on one, better with the contested ball, overhead, and hits the scoreboard more often.

If Hawthorn manage to get this match up (and trust me, they will be looking to potentially exploit it), we will see how Chris stacks up.

Filling a role is all well and good, but if that role is nullified and you have no more strings to your bow so to speak (ie, you are a midfielder who cant play foward when you are being shut out of the game), your benefit to the team structure becomes greatly diminished.
You don't play 180 games if you don't have a number of tricks.
Either that or he has been fooling people for a long, long time.
One thing that nobody can deny is that there is a very cohesive feel to the team this season.
This doesn't happen by accident.

The point I make is everyone brings something different to the table and the coaches utilize these different skills to create a strong team environment.
Surely that goes without saying. The question is whether Hutchings or Masten or whoever else offers more overall.

One thing that nobody can deny is that there is a very cohesive feel to the team this season.
This doesn't happen by accident.
OK. Is that because of Masten?

Last edited:
Which he cant.

So we are going to ignore his 5 contested possessions from the weekend.

He also gains 405 metres per match, compared to Masten's 259.

So we are going to ignore his 5 contested possessions from the weekend.
That's not many.

Last edited:
No but it stacks up well against the numbers achieved by the other guys who spent their time backwards of centre.
It stacks up well against defenders. But Masten is a midfielder.

I was also responding to a post which said he can’t win contested possessions.
I doubt he meant that Masten has literally never won a contested possession. So far this season, Masten is averaging fewer contested possessions than in any year since 2010.

Meh. Good teams have a couple role players doing some solid ground work for the rest of the side. Atm we have Cripps, Masten and Hutching in and i don't think either of them can do each other role. If Shuey has to come in we either have get rid of an Inside mid or someone that rotates through there. In that Case Sheed, Ah chee or Hutchings. Sheed has the most up side out of all three has proven his worth this season. Then its between Ah chee and Hutchings. Do we tag someone this week? if not then keep Ah chee as he offers us more as a HFF.

Theres no way Hutchings or Ah chee can Replicate Mastens role (he also can't replicate their roles).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It stacks up well against defenders. But Masten is a midfielder.

I doubt he meant that Masten has literally never won a contested possession. So far this season, Masten is averaging fewer contested possessions than in any year since 2010.

I guess the Match Committee will determine whether they are happy with his output. They certainly know far more about how well he is delivering on their expectations than we do.

The thing with Masten is he can run alot. But in a game hes not generall in our top 3 distance covered players???

Its normally Gaff/Duggan

The thing with Masten is he can run alot. But in a game hes not generall in our top 3 distance covered players???

Its normally Gaff/Duggan
He's top been top 5 for distance covered in every game apart from the derby.
Just looked and he's been in our top 3 in every game except 2.

Who's this guy that's played wing and half forward capably?
One could argue Venables maybe could. He got HFF nailed down and whose to say hutch can't play wing we haven't tried. But I do agree Masten with is skills is playing wing pretty well

Hutch has lined up on the wing many times during games and played fine there, just as he has when he's played in all the roles he's been put in, he just doesnt have a fancy style and a hipster haircut so any mistake he makes gets amplified a million times. Also, when he does something great (like that beautiful hit up pass on the wing yesterday that hit Darling at full pace) no-one says much at all. However, the point which everyone is avoiding, is you cant call someone vanilla when they are capable in multiple roles which Hutch has proven to be. Vanilla is one flavour, hence the implication that someone who is vanilla can only do one thing, which ironically enough, should be applied to Masten as he can only play wing.

I always thought of vanilla as being someone who does lots of things well, but isn’t really elite in any particular area. It does suit hutch imo (not saying he’s bad, he’s been fantastic since he returned). I think Masto doesn’t suit it as well as he is elite in some areas (running) and pretty bad at others (contested possessions, tackles).

Hutch has lined up on the wing many times during games and played fine there, just as he has when he's played in all the roles he's been put in, he just doesnt have a fancy style and a hipster haircut so any mistake he makes gets amplified a million times. Also, when he does something great (like that beautiful hit up pass on the wing yesterday that hit Darling at full pace) no-one says much at all. However, the point which everyone is avoiding, is you cant call someone vanilla when they are capable in multiple roles which Hutch has proven to be. Vanilla is one flavour, hence the implication that someone who is vanilla can only do one thing, which ironically enough, should be applied to Masten as he can only play wing.

Yeah it's Hutchings' mistakes that get amplified a million times. Barely anyone notices Masten's mistakes, much less comments on them :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for R10 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back