Preview Changes for Round 2 v Melbourne @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see the new season hasn't changed the quality of contributors

I'm not the one telling people how low or high they should be keeping their expectations. It's a message board, many people have varying opinions, and some are obviously quite optimistic with what they've seen so far.

I'm not the one telling people how low or high they should be keeping their expectations. It's a message board, many people have varying opinions, and some are obviously quite optimistic with what they've seen so far.

Indeed, and I'm also optimistic. And I'm suggesting people stating what we SHOULD achieve are getting ahead of themselves...

Which is an opinion. On a message board. Are you new? Really young?

Yeah, nah. He failed to stand up in the finals, and he regularly gets outshone by genuine A-Grade inside mids.

Well ok then - unfortunately that opinion doesn't fit the facts. He doesn't beat up on weak midfields and then play worse against stronger ones as you suggested. In 2013 he averaged 28.5 disposals and 5.5 tackles in wins and 28.8 disposals and 5.9 tackles in losses. As I said: consistent.

Looking more closely some of his highest disposal counts were against Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon and Fremantle - all of which I would consider good midfields.

As for finals performance. It's actually very good with him consistently amongst the teams highest disposal winners and producing solid tackle counts.

If you are going to argue he doesn't stand up in finals then neither do any of our other midfielders. The exception perhaps being Kerr when he was still playing.

In any case the argument I was making has nothing to do with whether he is an "A-grade" mid or not but rather that he's not the flat track bully you accused him of being. If you look at the stats it's pretty clear he isn't and in fact is remarkably consistent regardless of opposition.

I'm suggesting anyone suggesting we SHOULD be 4-0 or 5-0 or 8-1 is being silly in the extreme...

In fairness the post it seems you are referring to suggested that IF we were to be 4-0 (and thus having beaten Geelong away) we should, based on that form, be at least 8-1. There is nothing silly about that particular piece of logic. I haven't seen anyone suggest we SHOULD beat Geelong but I could be wrong.

Speculation about the future is just meaningless fun. Whether it be about the first 10 rounds or 2016...

Cats have got some serious injuries. That and the fact they lost some talent in the offseason, makes me think we will role them and go 4-0. I hope for no changes this week. But if hutchings is fit. Sheedy needs to play a full game of wafl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well ok then - unfortunately that opinion doesn't fit the facts. He doesn't beat up on weak midfields and then play worse against stronger ones as you suggested. In 2013 he averaged 28.5 disposals and 5.5 tackles in wins and 28.8 disposals and 5.9 tackles in losses. As I said: consistent.

Looking more closely some of his highest disposal counts were against Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon and Fremantle - all of which I would consider good midfields.

As for finals performance. It's actually very good with him consistently amongst the teams highest disposal winners and producing solid tackle counts.

If you are going to argue he doesn't stand up in finals then neither do any of our other midfielders. The exception perhaps being Kerr when he was still playing.

In any case the argument I was making has nothing to do with whether he is an "A-grade" mid or not but rather that he's not the flat track bully you accused him of being. If you look at the stats it's pretty clear he isn't and in fact is remarkably consistent regardless of opposition.

Possibly the first "Priddis stats defence of 2014". Well done.

Most people understand that arguments can be made that, statistically, Priddis is as good as Pendlebury, better than Fyfe etc etc ...

Then one watches the game.

In the biggest games, as our most experienced biggest reputation mid, he should stand up at stages and win us games ....

Instead he battles on, often gamely and even when we are 12 goals behind he still gets his ....

That's the issue with building around him. He isn't good enough to be the sort of guy tip teams build around.

He was his usual modest footballing self on the weekend and we had posters saying he was "superb" and played the best game of his career ...

I mean delusion is thick on the ground.

Expectation is the genesis of disappointment

I'm always nervous in the lead up to games and never make predictions like 8-1

After the saints game we play Geelong (a), port (h), Carlton (a), freo then Gws before the bye. If we get to 5-3 from that sequence without getting towelled up in any losses I'll be rapt.

Expectation is the genesis of disappointment

I'm always nervous in the lead up to games and never make predictions like 8-1

After the saints game we play Geelong (a), port (h), Carlton (a), freo then Gws before the bye. If we get to 5-3 from that sequence without getting towelled up in any losses I'll be rapt.

I would be gutted if we got rolled by a side like Carlton. The Cats and Port will be major tests.

In fairness the post it seems you are referring to suggested that IF we were to be 4-0 (and thus having beaten Geelong away) we should, based on that form, be at least 8-1. There is nothing silly about that particular piece of logic. I haven't seen anyone suggest we SHOULD beat Geelong but I could be wrong.

Speculation about the future is just meaningless fun. Whether it be about the first 10 rounds or 2016...

Sure. And speculation about the sense of such views is similarly just meaningless fun.

In fact everything on here can be described as meaningless fun.

The notion that we should be 8-1 even if we do beat Geelong is silly. History suggests taking 8 random wins as a given 1 week into the year or even 4 in is silly ...

Pointing that out in context of a team that's won 1 game after finishing 13th and changing coach is just an opinion ... but one with some merit ...

Saying we should be 8-1 because we beat Geelong is presumptive and silly. A whimsical notion rather than a considered opinion ...

Possibly the first "Priddis stats defence of 2014". Well done.

Most people understand that arguments can be made that, statistically, Priddis is as good as Pendlebury, better than Fyfe etc etc ...

Then one watches the game.

In the biggest games, as our most experienced biggest reputation mid, he should stand up at stages and win us games ....

Instead he battles on, often gamely and even when we are 12 goals behind he still gets his ....

That's the issue with building around him. He isn't good enough to be the sort of guy tip teams build around.

He was his usual modest footballing self on the weekend and we had posters saying he was "superb" and played the best game of his career ...

I mean delusion is thick on the ground.

Again where did I mention he's as good as one of the truly elite mids? Where did I say we should build around him?

My post was entirely to make the point he doesn't simply beat up on bad midfields to get his stats. Whatever you think about his overall game that is an unfair criticism.

I'm a little frustrated people are ignoring what I was saying and putting words in my mouth - so to speak.

Saying we should be 8-1 because we beat Geelong is presumptive and silly. A whimsical notion rather than a considered opinion ...

I disagree. I don't think we'll necessarily go 8-1 but I'm okay with the logic of what he said.

Port looms as the only other danger in the first 8 games. Then there's the Pies at the G. I'd back us in to go 6-3.

I would be gutted if we got rolled by a side like Carlton. The Cats and Port will be major tests.

Carlton were a better performed side than us last year and we play them over there. By no means is that game a given

And I'm gutted after any loss. I don't expect well beat Geelong but I'll still be disappointed if we lose

Again where did I mention he's as good as one of the truly elite mids? Where did I say we should build around him?

My post was entirely to make the point he doesn't simply beat up on bad midfields to get his stats. Whatever you think about his overall game that is an unfair criticism.

I'm a little frustrated people are ignoring what I was saying and putting words in my mouth - so to speak.

We get what you're saying BUT he gets his stats - at least in years past - because of unlimited time in the middle.

It's also true that he runs games out well.

I suspect what others are saying is that you'd like him to actually do better when it really counts rather than, at best, just perform averagely.

The problem with Priddis and stats is they do make him look better than some elites on those pure stats. But he isn't.

So when you say he averages the same in a loss, does that mean he had the same game impact?

I mean is every Priddis 28 possession game the same?

Or is it possible, against the best teams, he has little impact when the game is there to be won and then finishes like a train stats wise when the games over?

My eyes suggest that may be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were a better performed side than us last year and we play them over there. By no means is that game a given

And I'm gutted after any loss. I don't expect well beat Geelong but I'll still be disappointed if we lose

I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that we have a healthy list to choose from come round 6. I would be extraordinarily upset if we lost to them, put it that way.

I was there when we lost to them last year kicking 7.26. I have seen fewer worse WC performances, and yet they just scraped past us. I truly rate them as a bottom 8 list and I'm happy to back us in.

I disagree. I don't think we'll necessarily go 8-1 but I'm okay with the logic of what he said.

Port looms as the only other danger in the first 8 games. Then there's the Pies at the G. I'd back us in to go 6-3.

The logic is that we are a Top 4 team again because we've beaten a poor bottom side at home and looked decent in February.

We were 13th and abject last year, we've had one win. Let's keep some perspective ...

That's all I'm saying. Even if we get to 4-0 it'll be on the back of beating a poor bulldogs and the favourites for the spoon battle. Plus Geelong at home. And at this point no one knows what Geelong really is.

They looked average v a middling Adelaide side for 3/4 last week. I'm not convinced yet that they aren't a 5th to 8th side. As such, yes, at 3-0 if we get there we'd be a chance but it hardly guarantees us rolling through Port, Carlton, Freo and Collingwood. Blues & Pies away...

It's madness to say we SHOULD be 8-1 ...

I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that we have a healthy list to choose from come round 6. I would be extraordinarily upset if we lost to them, put it that way.

I was there when we lost to them last year kicking 7.26. I have seen fewer worse WC performances, and yet they just scraped past us. I truly rate them as a bottom 8 list and I'm happy to back us in.
Agree with this. I don't rate Carlton, at least no where near as high as some pundits. Really poor forward line, solid defence at best and I think their midfield has been overrated. Judd is still very good but can't get on the park, Murphy is an A-grader but hasn't been playing like it recently, Gibbs is still rated on the fact that he was a number one pick, Carrazzo is a decent tagger but not much more, and the rest are pretty average.

I don't like looking too far ahead though - not even thinking about the Geelong game yet. Upsets do happen, so we still have to make sure we're on our game on Sunday. I think the most important thing is to not let Melbourne get any early confidence-boosting goals like they did last time we played. We still thumped them but it took until the third term to get on top of them, then we were away. I want to really annihilate them this week. And I mean a good 20 goal thrashing.

That's all I'm saying. Even if we get to 4-0 it'll be on the back of beating a poor bulldogs and the favourites for the spoon battle. Plus Geelong at home. And at this point no one knows what Geelong really is.
Don't we play Geelong away? Hell, if we beat the Cats at KP (which we won't) and our record stands at 4-0 (which it won't), we'd be short odds to go 8-1.

Don't we play Geelong away? Hell, if we beat the Cats at KP (which we won't) and our record stands at 4-0 (which it won't), we'd be short odds to go 8-1.

Poorly worded by me, I meant if we beat Geelong at "their" home.

Even if we did, I'm not sure we'd be at short odds to go 4-1 v Port, Blues, Dockers, Pies & Giants ...

We'd be favourites in 3 or 4 of them but not sure we'd be short odds for the 4-1 ...

By the way, I'm yet to be convinced that 2014 Geelong is the same Geelong we've seen most of the last few years ...

Last edited:
The 3 players who seem most likely to come in (should changes be made):
Hill (the 23rd man of last week)
Sheppard (WAFL form)
Hutchings (back from injury)

It will be interesting to see how team balance (and Shuey's calf) determines the outcome.

Most likely in my opinion is Hill in, Sinclair out. This gives us more scoring power (based on Hill's demonstrated goal average) if Naitanui needs less help in the ruck. With Cox absolutely flying, it would seem we wouldn't lose much if we went this way.

There weren't really any weak links in midfield that demand dropping. Sheed looms as the most likely to go out for one of these two, Hutchings looked in preseason to be one of our best inside mids.

Shep would look to go in for one of Ellis, Bennell or Yeo, but on current form their positions look pretty secure! Sorry Shep, another week at East Perth for you.

In: Hill, Hutchings
Out: Sinclair, Sheed

Kn tedious, The usual suspects, like they think we've forgotten their opinion of Priddis.

Yawn ....

I bet you're completely incapable of outlining my opinion on Priddis. Like most of the 14 year olds on hear you just think "hater"...

You agree that he was "superb" or the weekend? "Played one of his best games for the club"?

Sometimes nonsense is worth addressing.

I'm sure you'll get Swifty in liking your post though. He also struggles with multi sentence posts...

Footy is back :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for Round 2 v Melbourne @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back