Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. No seeing opera Australiaā€™s Sweeney Todd šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Hahaha I'm telling Ken Hinkley to get private security. Way too many bad ideas there for you :tearsofjoy:

Don't think we are the rank outsiders the bookies have us as, but I reckon we played our GF last night, and so the Swannies to win this game by a comfortable 25-30 point margin in front of a parochial home crowd.

Hawks wer overawed by the occasion last night, and continually shanked passes, fumbled, fell over, stopped runs into attack to backtrack and go sideways thus turning the ball over. And they misssed 5 gilt edged chances to goal in the final 6 minutes or so. So they lost it, we didn't win it.

Swans are more finals hardened and will have the crowd support, so I don't see them being like deers in headlights as much next weekend.
It's possible we played our GF on Friday but they were gifted three of their goals and we were robbed of a couple. Our pressure was better, we were in front for pretty much the entire game, 51 inside 50's to their 42. We won it.

I wonder if weā€™ll be able to bring the intensity again of last week . I hope so because weā€™ll have to win the midfield battle again and contested ball . Sweet v Grundy will be pivotal, Sweet has been great , letā€™s hope he has another good game . Theyā€™re a bit like us with their obvious stars . Blakey can be a worry too running into the corridor , itā€™ll be interesting to see who goes to him . Will Drew go to Heeny or Warner ?
Mead was better last week but still needs to lift , a big game from him will help , Boaky too , heā€™s been solid but an extra 15% output .
Weā€™re missing Farrell and Houston although for sheer defence , the current group are pretty good . Logan Evans continues to perform and Bergman is a star . Another good game from Burgoyne will help too , been good to see him really engaged .
Rioli will be crucial if he has a good game
Georgiades as well .
Iā€™d give Lorenz a game myself , Iā€™m not convinced by Frank the tank , heā€™s ok but we need more in his position, especially if Narkle plays , Narkle at least covers the ground well and gets in position better . Does Dixon come back in ? Hmm .
I like Ratogalea last week , gave a bit of a link between defence and attack and helped empty the forward line for Rioli and Georgiades .
Itā€™s been a roller coaster ride so far for us this finals
Can we maintain the rage ?

When is the last time that a travelling non Victorian team won a preliminary final?
Its happened fair bit in total since 2000, ie the current finals systems first year, and its almost an equal split between non Vic (6) and Vic (5) travelling teams. 2019 was the last time a non Vic team travelled to another state and won.

Always happened in the 3rd year of the triple heavy weight champions, Brisbane, Hawthorn and Richmond. Geelong weren't triple heavyweight, won 3 in 5 years and lost a GF after having a 23-1 season before the GF in 2008. Triple heavyweights don't choke.

Non Vic travelling and win the PF
2003 Brisbane at Stadium Oz v Sydney - triple heavyweight championship year
2004 Brisbane at their "MCG home final" v Geelong
2005 Sydney at MCG v St K
2006 WCE at Footy Park v crows
2016 Sydney at MCG v Geelong
2019 GWS at MCG v Collingwood

Vic travelling and win the PF
2015 Hawks at Subi v Freo - triple heavyweight championship year
2016 Bulldogs v GWS at Showgrounds
2020 Richmond at AO v Port - triple heavyweight championship year
2020 Geelong v Brisbane at Gabba - Covid and Geelong were based in Brisbane
2021 Bulldogs at AO v Port

Since 2016 with bye final introduction, the PFs result have been.

2016 both travelling teams, Sydney to MCG and Bulldogs to Showgrounds win
2017 both travelling teams, Geelong to AO and GWS to MCG lose
2018 only one travelling team, Melbourne to Perth Stadium loses
2019 only one travelling team, GWS to MCG win
2020 only one travelling team Richmond to AO win. Geelong beat Brisbane at Gabba but based in Qld during covid
2021 only one travelling team Bulldogs at AO win. Both Melbourne and Geelong were based in Perth for GF during covid
2022 both travelling teams, Brisbane to MCG and Collingwood to SCG lose
2023 both travelling teams, Carlton to the Gabba and GWS to MCG lose

Don't think we are the rank outsiders the bookies have us as, but I reckon we played our GF last night, and so the Swannies to win this game by a comfortable 25-30 point margin in front of a parochial home crowd.

Hawks wer overawed by the occasion last night, and continually shanked passes, fumbled, fell over, stopped runs into attack to backtrack and go sideways thus turning the ball over. And they misssed 5 gilt edged chances to goal in the final 6 minutes or so. So they lost it, we didn't win it.

Swans are more finals hardened and will have the crowd support, so I don't see them being like deers in headlights as much next weekend.

Could definitely go that way but many thought we played our gf in the 2004 prelim too but actually winning that game released the pressure and we played with much more confidence In the GF.

I reckon there was a lot of pressure to win that game on Friday. We just had to get that win, I thought it probably had more importance for us considering our recent finals history and another straight sets exit wouldā€™ve been disastrous for the players psyche.

Iā€™m really hoping it is the catalyst rather than the endpoint, and we go to Sydney full of confidence.

We know now the level we need to be at intensity wise to win finals, QF to SF chalk and cheese. If we just drop off that intensity from the SF even slightly Sydney will beat us easily.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After we beat Sydney at the SCG in 20006, the day they unfurled their 2005 flag, the record was 6-7

They then win the next 8 to take the record to 6-15. We win in 2013 at Footy Park with no Boak and the record is 7-15.

We then lose the next 5 and its 7-20 after that shocking 5th losing game in 2016 at SCG when we didn't score in the first quarter and they were 6.5 and we some how only lose by 11 goals.

Since then we have won 8 in a row and the record is a bit more respectable at 15-20.

Can we make it 9 in a row? It seems a stretch.

Next longest streak against Sydney is 3 in a row by Brisbane, and the last win was by just 2 pts at the Gabba 7 weeks ago.

Play with that intensity and pressure on the ball carrier and they will be a chance. Can they get up and do it again, not really sure, my confidence was rattled by the cats. They have shown a better brand over last run of games but still hard to trust them.

To be completely honest, I have absolutely NFI what will happen this week, we could get smashed by 80 or win by 50, everything is possible. That's the frustrating thing with this team
Itā€™s not just us, itā€™s been a crazy season.
Both favorites lost on weekend, Sydney lost to Richmond this year.
Anything can happen.

Play with that intensity and pressure on the ball carrier and they will be a chance. Can they get up and do it again, not really sure, my confidence was rattled by the cats. They have shown a better brand over last run of games but still hard to trust them.

Surely that last run of games includes the Cats which was only two back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After we beat Sydney at the SCG in 20006, the day they unfurled their 2005 flag, the record was 6-7

They then win the next 8 to take the record to 6-15. We win in 2013 at Footy Park with no Boak and the record is 7-15.

We then lose the next 5 and its 7-20 after that shocking 5th losing game in 2016 at SCG when we didn't score in the first quarter and they were 6.5 and we some how only lose by 11 goals.

Since then we have won 8 in a row and the record is a bit more respectable at 15-20.

Can we make it 9 in a row? It seems a stretch.

Next longest streak against Sydney is 3 in a row by Brisbane, and the last win was by just 2 pts at the Gabba 7 weeks ago.
Reckon they won the first 5-6 when we first entered the comp too, so we seem to swap these long streaks with each other.

Reckon they won the first 5-6 when we first entered the comp too, so we seem to swap these long streaks with each other.
They won the first 3. It got to 2-3, then 4-5, then 5-6, then 6-7 as I posted previously.

We have never had a positive record against Sydney. We never have against North, because of the 0-9 start and we are now 18-22. It helps we have gone from 8-21 and won 10 of the next 11.

We have against Geelong in the early days up to 2005 7-1-6 then tied at 7-1-7 and 8-1-8, but we are now at 14-1-28.

History shows that since the introduction of the pre finals bye, itā€™s pretty well 50/50 for who wins the prelim now.

The extra break Sydney have had could be more a hindrance than anything.

They have already shown to be slow starters and having only played 1 game in 4 weeks by Friday, thatā€™s not ideal prep.

Need to apply that early pressure and jump them at the gun again.

Its happened fair bit in total since 2000, ie the current finals systems first year, and its almost an equal split between non Vic (6) and Vic (5) travelling teams. 2019 was the last time a non Vic team travelled to another state and won.

Always happened in the 3rd year of the triple heavy weight champions, Brisbane, Hawthorn and Richmond. Geelong weren't triple heavyweight, won 3 in 5 years and lost a GF after having a 23-1 season before the GF in 2008. Triple heavyweights don't choke.

Non Vic travelling and win the PF
2003 Brisbane at Stadium Oz v Sydney - triple heavyweight championship year
2004 Brisbane at their "MCG home final" v Geelong
2005 Sydney at MCG v St K
2006 WCE at Footy Park v crows
2016 Sydney at MCG v Geelong
2019 GWS at MCG v Collingwood

Vic travelling and win the PF
2015 Hawks at Subi v Freo - triple heavyweight championship year
2016 Bulldogs v GWS at Showgrounds
2020 Richmond at AO v Port - triple heavyweight championship year
2020 Geelong v Brisbane at Gabba - Covid and Geelong were based in Brisbane
2021 Bulldogs at AO v Port

Since 2016 with bye final introduction, the PFs result have been.

2016 both travelling teams, Sydney to MCG and Bulldogs to Showgrounds win
2017 both travelling teams, Geelong to AO and GWS to MCG lose
2018 only one travelling team, Melbourne to Perth Stadium loses
2019 only one travelling team, GWS to MCG win
2020 only one travelling team Richmond to AO win. Geelong beat Brisbane at Gabba but based in Qld during covid
2021 only one travelling team Bulldogs at AO win. Both Melbourne and Geelong were based in Perth for GF during covid
2022 both travelling teams, Brisbane to MCG and Collingwood to SCG lose
2023 both travelling teams, Carlton to the Gabba and GWS to MCG lose

Home finals are overrated in general. I did a whole analysis of it a while ago. I think long term there's an average of 2 teams per season that win away finals (which is quite high considering there's lots of neutral finals). And again this year 2/4 travelling teams have won.

The most interesting thing is that the script flips completely come grand final day and travelling teams rarely win.

Home finals are overrated in general. I did a whole analysis of it a while ago. I think long term there's an average of 2 teams per season that win away finals (which is quite high considering there's lots of neutral finals). And again this year 2/4 travelling teams have won.

The most interesting thing is that the script flips completely come grand final day and travelling teams rarely win.
MCG finals between home ground tenants means the designated home team winning/losing is useless when comparing that to a final where there is a travelling team involved. Also Geelong haven't won a lot of their home MCG finals when playing an away MCG tenant.

There is a definite change since the introduction of 2016 finals bye. The trend started in 2014 but the bye has changed things, along with teams getting better at travelling and winning away from home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back