Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance that Dixon was always going to be out for Marshall but they picked him and pretended he was in until his last minute fitness test for illness? The whole thing seems a bit suss. Not that i care, i don't mind us playing a bit of Chris Scott type mind games for once, no different for them with Stewart who was probably never playing either.

I guess the question I've got is if it was due to sickness that Dixon was out, i find the fitness test a bit strange and think that maybe he should've been staying away from everyone.

Didn't they say he was sick before the freo game too?

Any chance that Dixon was always going to be out for Marshall but they picked him and pretended he was in until his last minute fitness test for illness? The whole thing seems a bit suss. Not that i care, i don't mind us playing a bit of Chris Scott type mind games for once, no different for them with Stewart who was probably never playing either.

I guess the question I've got is if it was due to sickness that Dixon was out, i find the fitness test a bit strange and think that maybe he should've been staying away from everyone.

Marshall was selected in the team before Dixon went out.

Might be that he has been sick for a couple of weeks, on the tail end of it but hasn’t shaken it enough yet to have the energy to play. It would explain his totally listless performance against Geelong. Pretty much has to be an in this week now Marshall is out.

What are the genuine alternatives to Dixon, not many are mentioning Soldo but i'm thinking he would be a better option than Visentini and Lord, plus he is a premiership player so understands the pressure of these games. Or has he and the club already filed for divorce?

What are the genuine alternatives to Dixon, not many are mentioning Soldo but i'm thinking he would be a better option than Visentini and Lord, plus he is a premiership player so understands the pressure of these games. Or has he and the club already filed for divorce?
How much footy has Soldo played in the last month or so? From memory, when he came back from injury earlier this season, he was hunched over quite a bit. I feel he’s too underdone

How much footy has Soldo played in the last month or so? From memory, when he came back from injury earlier this season, he was hunched over quite a bit. I feel he’s too underdone
Yeah i think that is the issue, barely played any footy for months. I guess if he is fit and we are scraping the barrel he needs to be considered though.

I think this is 100% what happened

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew to smother Heeney
Zak straight up against Warner.
Sweet to bang up Grundy's tumeric latte.

If our midfield wins or is 50/50, we should win the game.

Our present backline matches up well on the Swans forwards.

We just need to kick some goals.

Pressure is on Sydney. Finished top, week off, home prelim etc. They are not mental giants either and have folded under pressure before. We are not out of this by any stretch
Yep, there finals record isn't actually that good, considering how high up the ladder they seem to finish most years. Obviously better than ours but to not have won a flag with all the genuine cracks they've had since 2012 is pretty poor.

Definitely struggled on GF day multiple times and were very lucky to get past Collingwood in the 2022 prelim.

The pressure will definitely be on them.

But it is on us too, despite the underdog status, we haven't made a GF in 17 years so we should be very hungry. And this is our 4th preliminary final attempt in 10 years.

Despite not kicking goals, I thought big Sav was pretty good
Clunked some nice marks
Presented well and can hoof it a mile when needed
He was criticized by Nathan Brown on the Sunday Footy show for going long down the line a couple of times in those last five minutes. If it was a player with a better kick I'd agree, but I'd have been much more nervous about Sav trying to pick out a Port player across goal in those moments than going down the line. He ate up plenty of clock and the whole team knew the mission was to get players to the fall of the ball and lock it up or force a throw in. Its probably the best decision given the circumstances. If its Houston or Farrel or one of our better 'quarterbacks' I think it's fair, but I think for Sav it was the safest option.

Noticing a bit of media reminding Sydney that they haven't beaten us since 2016. Is it the pure shock of realising Port Power has dominated a regular contender for 8 years or a gee up for ol' South? Both probably.
Next best winning streak against the swans is 3 by Brisbane, and their last win was by 2pts at the Gabba, before Bulldogs beat them by 6 goals and then we belted them next game.

The Melbourne Media Mafia aren't interested in the win-loss record of two non Vic sides.

The upside for us is that we are yet to see a dominant, breakout game from any of our gun midfielders. They all played decently on Thursday night, but we haven't seen JHF change the game like we know he can, we haven't seen Butters' usual creativity beyond a spurt here and there. They were all good on Thursday night without being massive standouts. Mitch would have got a huge amount of confidence out of that game and was huge for us. He's out best 'tall' forward at the moment. We need more from the Dixon and Marshall. I'm very nervous about taking Marshall into a prelim. There's huge risk, and decent upside I guess... I guess you have to shit or get off the pot at some point. It's just a concern with JHF and his cramps, Butters and his game against Geelong and Dixon being the walking dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back