Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Just feels so crazy that a player ruled out for the season is so far ahead of schedule. Gotta be nervous about bringing him back this week. If we win we'd need him there the week after.
It must have been just a standard 3-4 week hammy.

Just feels so crazy that a player ruled out for the season is so far ahead of schedule. Gotta be nervous about bringing him back this week. If we win we'd need him there the week after.
Think it's more important to play him this week, smaller ground his kick would be vital to break zones.

I think the club may have been lieing about it being a high-grade hammy. If it’s just a standard 3-4 weeker he would be due back this week

The Farrell thing is just weird. Being ruled out for the season is pretty well always definitive. And not only was he ruled out for the season immediately after it happened, that prognosis was reiterated in the next two injury reports, including last week's (despite there being rumblings even last week that things were progressing quicker than expected). If we're playing ducks and drakes you'd have to ask why given it's 'only' Kane Farrell?

The Farrell thing is just weird. Being ruled out for the season is pretty well always definitive. And not only was he ruled out for the season immediately after it happened, that prognosis was reiterated in the next two injury reports, including last week's (despite there being rumblings even last week that things were progressing quicker than expected). If we're playing ducks and drakes you'd have to ask why given it's 'only' Kane Farrell?
Very weird. But he did recover from his ACL quicker than they expected too, and something earlier in the year I think he only missed a week. Maybe they just went the conservative approach to begin but has genuinely recovered quicker than expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was criticized by Nathan Brown on the Sunday Footy show for going long down the line a couple of times in those last five minutes. If it was a player with a better kick I'd agree, but I'd have been much more nervous about Sav trying to pick out a Port player across goal in those moments than going down the line. He ate up plenty of clock and the whole team knew the mission was to get players to the fall of the ball and lock it up or force a throw in. Its probably the best decision given the circumstances. If its Houston or Farrel or one of our better 'quarterbacks' I think it's fair, but I think for Sav it was the safest option.
The relief when he took that mark in the dying seconds, and then the fear when you realised he had to kick it on when we were so close to their goals. 😂

I'm of the belief that we we played ducks and drakes with Dixon, so wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening with Farrell too.

I'm of the belief that we we played ducks and drakes with Dixon, so wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening with Farrell too.
Dixon is an interesting choice to play mind games with when Butters was under a cloud.

Clubs would put move thinking into Butters.

I’d suggest isolating Rioli and Mitch in the F50 and clearing out the rest. Let the HFF and mids run towards their contest. SCG is small Blakey against Mitch would be nightmare scenario for Swans
I don't mind this.

I think there are a few things to consider. We looked better organised on Friday with Rat moving out of the forward line and up the wings. He did ok and it got him out the way. I might be giving the brains trust too much credit, but I agree with some you have suggested that Dixon was never playing and the whole thing about being ill was ducks and drakes. He sure as hell was not needed on Friday.

I think we also looked better because we tried to stretch the pitch and didn't have such a high defensive line and also kept a forward much closer to goal rather than trying to squeeze the pitch and play so compact (to use soccer terminology).

What do we do now that Marshall is out? What are the options?

I wish people would stop suggesting Soldo who hasn't played AFL in three months, Visintini who has played half a game as a forward in his AFL career and looked very average or debut a player in the prelim. The only realistic options are:

Option 1. Bring in Dixon as a straight replacement and keep the same structure. In some ways it will suit Dixon better if he can play an anchor role and stay closer to goals and Rat is leading up the wings. He won't need to move so much and Georgiadis and Riolli can hopefully work around him. We just need to instruct players not to kick to Dixon every time. For me, the Dixon option is not great. He makes us too slow and immobile; he is out of form and for some reason our players don't seem to be able to stop themselves booting it long to Dixon when he is there. He is such an unreliable shot on goal and finally he seems incapable of playing a decoy role to make space for Rioli and Georgadis. Also Dixon will be much more of a liability at the larger MCG if we make it through.

Option 2. Replace Marshall with McEntee. We've seen how that goes with McEntee, Frank and Narkle before and I think this would be the worst option. It is just too many not making significant contributions.

Option 3. Replace Marshall with another runner/midfielder type. I think this would look like Farrell coming in and Burgoyne and Sinn playing further up the ground. Play JHF forward more and also rotate the other mids through there. This is pretty much what we did on Friday. Marshall only had 40% game time. We looked good when he was on the ground, but we also still looked better than we have most of the year going forward when he was off the ground. Mitch and Rioli benefited and ultimately, we want the ball in their hands kicking for goal. I think this is my preferred option.

The other question is around Burton. I don't think you bring Burton and Farrel back because that is too risky. If available Farrel would be the preference but if Farrel is not and Burton is, I would bring Burton in as the sub for Lorenz.

3 changes - OUT LORENZ MARSHALL SINN

IN - DIXON (I don't want him but Ken loves him...) BURTON and FARRELL

NARKLE as Sub

IN Farrell Dixon Burton
OUT Lorenz Marshall Narkle

Burgoyne back to wing and Farrell to HB. Would like to keep Sinn in after that game, and one less of the three forward line scrubbers is a better bet. Burton as sub, can go forward if Dixon is arse again.

If Farrell doesn't get up then Burton to HB, Narkle stays as sub.

I’m going 2 changes.

Dixon for Marshall, Farrell for Lorenzo.

Then Narkle or Evans as sub.

Burton is a tough one. But I think Port look better with 3 tall forwards and a slightly shorter backline.

ce473d81-8f33-4bd1-9689-49adaa9535f9.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back