Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking back to Round 21, I’m wondering how much of that might have just been Sydney not wanting to show us their hand before finals.

Nothing excuses a 112 point loss but still.
Would’ve been an interesting tactic to use against us when we potentially could’ve slipped out of the 8 with a loss there.

I'm not going to lie, i'm scared.
It's only a game of football.
It's just an excuse to sit on your arse for 3 hours and drink beer.
It's just provided to keep the paid slaves entertained so they get up and do it all again next week, while grabbing as many dollars as you can out of their scarred old hands.
It ain't squid game.
Ken is already safe.
Chill bro. :)

Master of the House - the AFL

Last edited:
We've actually only won three genuine away finals in our history - North '05, Collingwood '13, Freo '14 (Brisbane '04 was really a neutral game). That's two elimination finals and a semi final. This would be a massive and unprecedented achievement for us to go on the road and win a prelim.

They also have only played one road final since October 2014 (Brissy QF last year).

They just typically don't get these opportunities to begin with.

They also have only played one road final since October 2014 (Brissy QF last year).

They just typically don't get these opportunities to begin with.
That quote from Eddie on his podcast with Bartel is ringing in my head. Apparently "we wanted to play the prelim away, to release some pressure on the playing group". I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is, it seems remarkably backwards and highlights that, internally, we no longer see the Adelaide Oval as the fortress it once was.

Playing in Sydney scares me.

That quote from Eddie on his podcast with Bartel is ringing in my head. Apparently "we wanted to play the prelim away, to release some pressure on the playing group". I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is, it seems remarkably backwards and highlights that, internally, we no longer see the Adelaide Oval as the fortress it once was.

I thought conspiracy theories were limited to the elections in the USA.

Jumping on the train from Melbourne to Sydney tonight . Likely won't sleep a wink. Has anyone done this before? Flights were outrageous so figured for $67 the night service can't be that bad.
im on there as well ... im not expecting a whole lot myself. in economy atm, but will try and upgrade to first if theres a cancellation. train is entirely sold out, which is a rarity in itself.

Ironically there's less of a monkey on our back playing away from AO in finals. Our last 2 prelims were at home and both come up short. A few numbers to consider. Sydney are 7-1 in prelims in recent history. Port are 8-0 vs Sydney in recent history. Port are 0-3 in prelims since '14.
Something's gotta give, whether it's swans are due a loss in a prelim, or port are due a loss against the swans... Maybe ports due a win in a prelim after coming up short too many times. Respectively, there are 2 players in our side still from the 2014 prelim, 8 players from the 2020 prelim, and 10 from the 2021 prelim. One thing in our favour is there's always upsets, and going in as underdogs bodes well for us compared to recent prelims.
Who’s the two? Boak and? Dixon joined 16 yeah?

We've actually only won three genuine away finals in our history - North '05, Collingwood '13, Freo '14 (Brisbane '04 was really a neutral game). That's two elimination finals and a semi final. This would be a massive and unprecedented achievement for us to go on the road and win a prelim.
It's for this reason I have little confidence. Everything will need to click for us to get the result. I expect we will put up a good fight but I just can't see us getting the job done.

Feels like our best chance is catching them napping early post-Bye.

And yet Zak loves playing at home in front of the supporters. What would Eddie know, really?

Thinking back to Round 21, I’m wondering how much of that might have just been Sydney not wanting to show us their hand before finals.

Nothing excuses a 112 point loss but still.
More likely we thrashed them all over the ground.
Sydney play in bursts, also normally start slow.
We started like a German band and there was no way back.
GWS should have rock and rolled them two weeks back.
As usual Port BF hypes up the opposition worse than Hinkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically there's less of a monkey on our back playing away from AO in finals. Our last 2 prelims were at home and both come up short. A few numbers to consider. Sydney are 7-1 in prelims in recent history. Port are 8-0 vs Sydney in recent history. Port are 0-3 in prelims since '14.
Something's gotta give, whether it's swans are due a loss in a prelim, or port are due a loss against the swans... Maybe ports due a win in a prelim after coming up short too many times. Respectively, there are 2 players in our side still from the 2014 prelim, 8 players from the 2020 prelim, and 10 from the 2021 prelim. One thing in our favour is there's always upsets, and going in as underdogs bodes well for us compared to recent prelims.
Yeah, if they have a good look at our recent away the boys should have some level of confidence and it might be easier for them to get up because of the recent poor form with home prelims where we were favoured to win.

I just feel that the attitude is different from last week and our performance may follow :(

1. Rozzee's "job's done" attitude in his post Hawks match on field presser.
2. Hinkley being back to his usual calm smiley smug self in his presser today.
3. Hinkley now not coaching for his job in light of Koch guaranteeing him his job for next year.
4. Opposition not being disrespectful to Port and indicating it is going to be a really hard game (i.e. no additional motivation like there was last week - although making a GF should be enough motivation in its own right)
5. Hinkley saying he needs "a bit of luck" in today's presser in order to make the GF.
6. perhaps the boys are buying into the medias 8-0 run v Syd, plus the recent 112 point smashing a month ago.

I, as well as many of us I imagine, have spent money that I probably shouldn't have to get over to Syd Friday for the game, but I am worried.

Does anyone truly think we can win this? And if so, why?
Some of these are definitely worrying from a historical point of view.

I just feel that the attitude is different from last week and our performance may follow :(

1. Rozzee's "job's done" attitude in his post Hawks match on field presser.
2. Hinkley being back to his usual calm smiley smug self in his presser today.
3. Hinkley now not coaching for his job in light of Koch guaranteeing him his job for next year.
4. Opposition not being disrespectful to Port and indicating it is going to be a really hard game (i.e. no additional motivation like there was last week - although making a GF should be enough motivation in its own right)
5. Hinkley saying he needs "a bit of luck" in today's presser in order to make the GF.
6. perhaps the boys are buying into the medias 8-0 run v Syd, plus the recent 112 point smashing a month ago.

I, as well as many of us I imagine, have spent money that I probably shouldn't have to get over to Syd Friday for the game, but I am worried.

Does anyone truly think we can win this? And if so, why?

Dear Port,

Updated from post last week.

We've won 4 finals away from home in our AFL history.

2004 - GF Vs Brisbane - More a neutral game.
2005 - EF Vs Kangaroos
2013 - EF Vs Collingwood
2014 - SF Vs Fremantle

Never won an away PF, lost 2002, 2003, 2014
Never won an away QF, lost 2001, 2023.

Away Finals Total: 12 (4W-8L)
Home Finals Total: 19 (10W-9L)

They've made a real conscious effort to reduce the pressure of the entire footy department this week internally. I have no idea why they're not instead embracing the pressure.

If you don't want pressure as a footballer, retire and go stack shelves at Coles and Woolies instead.

I'm not going to lie, i'm scared.
Come on Willsy don’t you fall apart.
Lot of things in our favor, recent form against this mob, SCG actually suits our style of game and coming off a good win.
Enjoy it all, theres 14 other clubs that wish they were playing this weekend.
And remember Richmond beat Sydney this year 🤪

They've made a real conscious effort to reduce the pressure of the entire footy department this week internally. I have no idea why they're not instead embracing the pressure.

If you don't want pressure as a footballer, retire and go stack shelves at Coles and Woolies instead.

They do not want us to win.

I will proudly wear my tin foil hat on this one.

For those that haven't seen it. Like I said, who knows if it's true - at the end of the day, he is more likely to be in the know than we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back