Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon merely taking their bigger defender away from Georgie is his work half done. He's a wounded bull, you can't turn your back on him otherwise he may actually kick 3 goals. He could also do f all which we're all more aware of, but Hawthorn had stuff all big defenders to bother Georgie whereas Sydney have a decent defence this time compared to R21
This is the theory but in reality I have never seen Dixon show a willingness to sacrifice his game by taking himself and his defender away from the play. He doesn’t seem capable of understanding he is no longer the big dog.

Three of last weeks umpires & Stevic lol
Win lose or draw, this should be the final straw that motivates the club to make a formal protest to the AFL. How much more blatant can the message be? This quartet of outright cheats should never be allowed to officiate a final ever again and should be permanently banned from officiating Port games full stop. How many times is Stevic going to get away with his obvious and blatant anti Port bias? And to make matters worse.. against this pack of freeloading flogs, whoever umpires will automatically be on their side anyway as per usual AFL edict. Time for Koch and co to grow a pair and stand up to be counted.

Arh those-were-the-days-my-friend where I watched that prelim in the IBM corporate box and was the only Port support present. It was directly over the behind post where Chad kicked that freakish goal in the last quarter where the Hawks supporter were shitting themselves in the last five minutes.

The end of 2014 was a great time to be a Port supporter, I can but dream ten-years- after, it will be just as exciting.
Yes mate. My point, and yours/ours, is this.

In just over 24 hours we're all gonna get emotional at the way things did or didn't go down tomorrow night. Words will be said. Fingers will be pointed. Of decisions made and not made. Good and bad.

But win or lose let's not ever forget what this game and our great club gives us in terms of dreams and connections with what and who we are and what and who we love.

Because tomorrow night, for all that has gone before, our hopes and thoughts will not just be with those representing our club as players, coaches and officials but as supporters all.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters).'

Go Port!

Backs Lachie Jones Brandon Zerk-Thatcher Miles Bergman
Half Backs Josh Sinn Aliir Aliir Logan Evans
Centre Jase Burgoyne Ollie Wines Willem Drew
Half Forwards Darcy Byrne-Jones Esava Ratugolea Willie Rioli
Forwards Mitch Georgiades Charlie Dixon Connor Rozee
Followers Jordon Sweet Jason Horne-Francis Zak Butters
Interchange Travis Boak Quinton Narkle Jackson Mead Francis Evans Ryan Burton

Emergencies Will Lorenz Dante Visentini Ollie Lord
IN: R Burton 3, C Dixon 22 OUT: T Marshall 4 (concussion), W Lorenz 36 (omitted)
And this is why we can’t have nice things. Terrible changes.

Chicago Olympics GIF by Brookfield Zoo

Dixon & Burton getting put through their paces, with Frankie not even in the picture he’s that slow.
Burton's not slow and he'll easily kick those pass off goals that Farrell and Houston usually kick.

Yes mate. My point, and yours/ours, is this.

In just over 24 hours we're all gonna get emotional at the way things did or didn't go down tomorrow night. Words will be said. Fingers will be pointed. Of decisions made and not made. Good and bad.

But win or lose let's not ever forget what this game and our great club gives us in terms of dreams and connections with what and who we are and what and who we love.

Because tomorrow night, for all that has gone before, our hopes and thoughts will not just be with those representing our club as players, coaches and officials but as supporters all.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters).'

Go Port!
So beautifully said, you almost brought me to tears.
Like I haven’t been that emotional since I found a half eaten Snickers bar in the back of the cupboard

So beautifully said, you almost brought me to tears.
Like I haven’t been that emotional since I found a half eaten Snickers bar in the back of the cupboard
The fact you left that snickers bar half eaten in the back of the cupboard tells me a lot about your commitment tbh.

Time to get all in mate. None of this half arsed stuff . You bought in to the hype of the snickers bar BS - eat the feckin thing!

This is the theory but in reality I have never seen Dixon show a willingness to sacrifice his game by taking himself and his defender away from the play. He doesn’t seem capable of understanding he is no longer the big dog.
He actually steals marks from Marshall and Georgiades. and yet those 2 still manage to take more marks inside 50 than any other forwards in the AFL. amazing

The fact you left that snickers bar half eaten in the back of the cupboard tells me a lot about your commitment tbh.

Time to get all in mate. None of this half arsed stuff . You bought in to the hype of the snickers bar BS - eat the feckin thing!
Seriously you could have longer posts than REH about the times in your life supporting Port.
The good memories you take to your grave, the bad never quite go away.
Luckily the good massively outweigh the bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's player ratings but Burton was supposedly our 2nd best against Geelong and 6th best against Freo. Houston and Farrell being out means there's actually a vacant role for him in the team that he can excel at.
Going back many Moons ago Burton used to be good.
He’s had a big slump especially this year, not sure if he was playing injured or what but he looked like me trying to bend over and pick up the ball.
We need him and all our lesser lights playing well this week like they did last week.

Win lose or draw, this should be the final straw that motivates the club to make a formal protest to the AFL. How much more blatant can the message be? This quartet of outright cheats should never be allowed to officiate a final ever again and should be permanently banned from officiating Port games full stop. How many times is Stevic going to get away with his obvious and blatant anti Port bias? And to make matters worse.. against this pack of freeloading flogs, whoever umpires will automatically be on their side anyway as per usual AFL edict. Time for Koch and co to grow a pair and stand up to be counted.
But surely they get a second chance to right their failings from last week , if you know what I mean.

Vs Geelong I was not nervous at all. Vs Hawthorn I was all doom and gloom, fearing the worst.

Now I really don't know what to expect. I'm hopeful we can give this a good crack.

Either way this club has f'd with my head for ages.

Sensible changes, no brainers really.

Don’t really understand this theory that we are going to lose because Dixon is in? Let’s be honest here, we got 1 quarter out of Todd before he was in la la land so I’m really confident we will get more out of Dixon.

It’s like everyone is judging Dixon based on the Geelong game but ignoring the positive influence he had in the run of wins before finals. He might be banged up but he will keep battling the whole game, I reckon he would be keen to finish off his career strongly as this is probably his last chance.

Lord was too much of a risk, he barely went near the ball in nearly every game he played this year. And I don’t rate having two ruckman so Vis was a no for me, I didn’t really rate his game against Freo.

Burton for Lorenz is about as no brainer as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a waste of time debating the Dixon inclusion, the only alternative is Lord who has been statistically way worse than Dixon this year.

Yep, both inclusions were basically the only realistic options available.

Dixon still averages 1.4 goals, he's still good in the ruck, he'll still take a top defender and if they're silly enough not to put a good defender on him, he'll kick goals. He was absolutely awful against Geelong, but in an absolutely awful performance from the entire side. He's far, far more likely than anyone who could replace him to kick a few goals and be a handful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back