Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then proceeded with 2 seasons of delist material football , Dustin Martin ruined his half back mentality
True, but I reckon playing up front has brought his confidence back.

Was good on Sunday too.

It's ridiculous to suggest Rozee is our worst tackler. He is 5th for average tackles at Port this year (with a few injury affected games in there) and was 2nd in 2023. Also been 2nd in pressure acts both years.

Just because he had a dud flu game this weekend where he missed a few tackles and there's a narrative that he's not "hard enough" as a leader doesn't mean he isn't fit to play defence.
Would love Rozee down our way.. I suspect he will play forward in finals and terrorise us ( and whoever else you play). He is brilliant, and will come good.

There are three selection dilemmas ahead of this game.

1. Replacing Farrell.
I don’t think we compromise on structure. No moving of Ratugolea back. We back the five defensive constants to all keep going in the same vain, and as Logan Evans put it, lift another 2-3% each. We back Burton to play the same way he did against Freo. Make it crystal clear to him. We need him now more than ever and what he showed against the Dockers is the minimum acceptable standard of effort and teammateship. No seagulling will be acceptable.

We replace Farrell directly with Sinn and bring him into the 22. It’s a definite risk and downgrade, but size, pace, defensive training/preparation are in his favour as cover for Farrell. He needs to back himself, look after the footy when he has it, and use his legs. He isn’t Farrell, just as Burton isn’t Houston. But it’s the best fit. He’s physically mature and at least is not being rushed back from injury. It may be the making of him. Personally. I don’t expect to be disappointed in what he produces. Whether I’m in awe of it, is another matter.

2. The high small forward role.

DBJ and Evans should play. It comes down to Narkle or McEntee. I am in no doubt that McEntee will get the chance to renew his role on Stewart. I don’t love it, but someone needs to go to him - and basically be sacrificed to do so. We don’t have another option without resigning ourselves to Stewart doing as he pleases. It makes the offensive work of all the other 21 players more critical. Alas, I suspect Evans will be sub again.

3. Ratugolea vs Marshall

I think most objective observers can see the strengths and weaknesses of both options. I’d love to bring in 2022 Todd Marshall, fresh, fit and in-form. We don’t have that player. Instead we have someone in his place who has left the field very early due to injury more than once this year after innocuous knocks. The same player who does have a weakness in retaining the contested ball, playing in front of his opponent and as of 2023-24, finishing his goal scoring opportunities with the confidence he once had.

In Ratugolea, we have a player who has no polish or finishing ability. You accept that any goal he scores will be an unexpected bonus - much like McEntee. But unmistakably, he plants himself in front of his opponents and keeps his ground under the high ball, rarely if ever getting beaten. He takes 2-4 important marks per game and gives Dixon some respite from the other big defenders. We’ve looked better as a team since he’s played the role for whatever reason. Not sure yet if it’s in spite of him or due to him, but I think we can and will get it done if he’s there to partner Dixon and MG. I wish we had the luxury of picking Marshall too but I don’t think we should. FWIW, if things become problematic in defence, you’re left with the options of moving Ratugolea, DBJ, Burgoyne or Rozee back if needed in-match. It’s enough cover for most scenarios.

My change:
Sinn for Farrell.

Evans for sub.

Narkle and Marshall among the emergencies.

1. Replacing Farrell.

Disposal efficiency and Turnovers of players:

Farrell (DE - 82.3%, TO - 3.7)
Houston (DE - 82.1% , TO - 3.3)
Williams (DE - 78.0% , TO - 2.0)
Burton (DE - 75.9% , TO - 3.2)
Sinn (DE - 71.7% , TO - 2.3)

For me, its between Williams and Sinn. I am not a fan of DBJ moving back whatsoever. My opinion on it is Sinn's stats are to be taken into consideration that he played on the wing at AFL level, so he may not have had some cheap kicks across HB to bump up his DE. I think to replace Farrell, Sinn would be more suited given his pace and ability to break lines. So like you said, between Evans, Burton and Sinn if they increase their DE% by another 3-4% then we will be fine.

2. High half forward role

I know McEntee did a great job on Stewart, but is that really going to work again? Stewart has since gone into midfield and then rolls back. Are we going to back on Drew starting on Stewart then the handover happening to McEntee every time? I am slightly leaning more towards Drew following Stewart everywhere. And I acknowledge that may leave us outnumbered in midfield if Geelong get their way, which is why I would play Narkle instead of McEntee because he's got better skillsets for midfield.

Would play Evans as sub for this reason. Might be even the reason we sent Narkle back to SANFL in order to gain some midfield time.

3. Ratugolea v Marshall

Firstly, Ken's gameplan is focused on ball retention inside 50. If you look at offensive contest wins 1v1, Esava wins 40.9% while Marshall wins 21.9%. Thats almost double the contest wins. Secondly, Marshall's missed the last month pretty much, there's no point risking him in finals when there's questions over his playing future let alone his presence in September. I am a big Todd fan and I think his strengths unfortunately dont suit the way we enter our forward 50s. Under a different coach it may be different but I am more inclined to try Marshall as an intercepting defender than having him up forward under Ken. Esava also has double the groundball gets and contested possessions compared to Marshall

I am not sure how DBJ going back this late in the season is even an option tbh.

I know this guy was an AA as a HB. But since then, he made many people in this forum pull their hair out with his kicking and some questionable efforts.

He was so bad that we decided to move him up forward because he showed more there off the bench against Swans than he did at HB (other than the AA year). He hasn't played as a HB in 2 years and those deficiencies with ball in hand still exist.

The other aspect is the angles Faz creates with his left foot. The only one that can mirror that is Sinn with his left foot.

Lastly, DBJ has created a great connection up forward with the talls and as it stands leads the club for goals + assists for the year. Do we really think the drop off from Farrell to Sinn is greater than DBJ to McEntee/Narkle? That would be a huge mistake imo

Plenty of people were still knocking DBJ when he originally went forward to.

It's entirely possible that he's just in good form, and that the position he's playing in is separate to that.
The point more so is there's currently a structure thats working perfectly fine and connection to go with which has enhanced his output. Do you have trust in McEntee to have similar output to DBJ or do you have trust in Sinn to have similar output to Farrell?

I have seen enough to confidently pick which one I trust more.

I am not sure how DBJ going back this late in the season is even an option tbh.

I know this guy was an AA as a HB. But since then, he made many people in this forum pull their hair out with his kicking and some questionable efforts.

He was so bad that we decided to move him up forward because he showed more there off the bench against Swans than he did at HB (other than the AA year). He hasn't played as a HB in 2 years and those deficiencies with ball in hand still exist.

The other aspect is the angles Faz creates with his left foot. The only one that can mirror that is Sinn with his left foot.

Lastly, DBJ has created a great connection up forward with the talls and as it stands leads the club for goals + assists for the year. Do we really think the drop off from Farrell to Sinn is greater than DBJ to McEntee/Narkle? That would be a huge mistake imo
If I remember correctly DBJ was sub and a small forward was injured and he was just a replacement because for whatever reason they didn't have another option. He kicked a few goals and created a couple and hasn't moved since. So it wasn't a calculated move just dumb luck.

If I remember correctly DBJ was sub and a small forward was injured and he was just a replacement because for whatever reason they didn't have another option. He kicked a few goals and created a couple and hasn't moved since. So it wasn't a calculated move just dumb luck.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post his first appearance up forward was as a sub against Swans. I vividly remember being surprised by how he influenced the game positively with his pressure and scoring output.

Sure it was dumb luck. Now it would be just dumb to move him back when he's so effective up forward.

The point more so is there's currently a structure thats working perfectly fine and connection to go with which has enhanced his output. Do you have trust in McEntee to have similar output to DBJ or do you have trust in Sinn to have similar output to Farrell?

I have seen enough to confidently pick which one I trust more.

I'm going with Sinn at this stage, but I wouldn't completely write off DBJ being able to play a role if needed.

I'm going with Sinn at this stage, but I wouldn't completely write off DBJ being able to play a role if needed.
I think you have to start with Sinn there, if he doesn't do well then sure by all means sub him out bring Narkle on and push DBJ back if what we need is defensive stability at the expense of attacking ball movement. There are times in games where that is needed. We cannot start DBJ in the backline and McEntee up forward, thats all my point is

I think you have to start with Sinn there, if he doesn't do well then sure by all means sub him out bring Narkle on and push DBJ back if what we need is defensive stability at the expense of attacking ball movement. There are times in games where that is needed. We cannot start DBJ in the backline and McEntee up forward, thats all my point is

You don't need to convince me RE: McEntee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of people were still knocking DBJ when he originally went forward to.

It's entirely possible that he's just in good form, and that the position he's playing in is separate to that.
That's what I'm hoping. He still looked good when he went back last week.

I only watch Port games but after Cameron who is their 2nd tall in the forward line? Do they have one? If not, we should definitely think about bringing in Sinn for the Stengle, Close types as I think Faz usually got that matchup.

If DBJ has been training with the backs you can bet your house that’s where Ken will start him.
If that’s the case Narkle must come in.
Even if he's starting forward, I reckon it's worth DBJ spending some time with the backline coaches even if the intent is to start him forward, just in case he has to go back at any stage.

Am I the only one that feels uneasy about this game. We are playing to well and we are favourites.
Does any one know what we are doing with are training loads. L Jones said we were going light. It worries me. We have a real chance to take the whole thing out but we also dont play well after breaks. Geelong don’t either though.

Am I the only one that feels uneasy about this game. We are playing to well and we are favourites.
Does any one know what we are doing with are training loads. L Jones said we were going light. It worries me. We have a real chance to take the whole thing out but we also dont play well after breaks. Geelong don’t either though.

All finals will be "danger" games but for all teams not just Port. Can they do it? Definitely. Even without Houston & Farrell? Definitely.

Chris scott has tweaked things with Stewart. Question is now, has Kenny and coaches realised that and play accordingly? Quite possible.

Time will tell but I've got confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back